Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Why do we not have anti-lock brakes?  (Read 8493 times)

flhrsei2_gret's_is for sale

Re: Why do we not have anti-lock brakes?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2004, 04:28:32 PM »

eddieb and mike --

Aren't relays used for adding such things as the grips? Doesn't this suffice to aid to cooling patterns for "oveheated" wiring?

Last week, coming up on end of season - shorter days, I wanted to use my halogen fogs every evening, when I wanted - without having them hooked into low or high beams. Good dream I thought... I took apart my headlight, found the halogen wiring on the fogs that worked its way around without using a relay. This was wired by a HD mechanic... Also, the relay was burned out, some tips of wires not even within the relay...  Plus, reading through the manuals - color coded wiring "should" indicate only certain wires for certain functions. I have "two" wires for same function. Oh, this could be another gripe of mine... however --

With the need for heated grips, or other HD "power", we need to realize that if we don't contact HD with some of these concerns, we'll all sound like we're just rattling each other.

Use the number for customer service at the Milwaukee Juneau Ave. plant -- Was given to me when I balked at "chrome issues" via a survey... got their attention quickly, and found a "name" behind the phone number.

Jon Selensky

Harley-Davidson Motor Company Customer Service

414-434-4056

Jonathon.Selensky@harley-davidson.com
...at my age knowledge is not based on what the book says, because - we write the books.

mfgreen

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2004, 05:01:09 PM »

eddieb and mike --

Aren't relays used for adding such things as the grips? Doesn't this suffice to aid to cooling patterns for "oveheated" wiring?

Last week, coming up on end of season - shorter days, I wanted to use my halogen fogs every evening, when I wanted - without having them hooked into low or high beams. Good dream I thought... I took apart my headlight, found the halogen wiring on the fogs that worked its way around without using a relay. This was wired by a HD mechanic... Also, the relay was burned out, some tips of wires not even within the relay...  Plus, reading through the manuals - color coded wiring "should" indicate only certain wires for certain functions. I have "two" wires for same function. Oh, this could be another gripe of mine... however --

With the need for heated grips, or other HD "power", we need to realize that if we don't contact HD with some of these concerns, we'll all sound like we're just rattling each other.

Use the number for customer service at the Milwaukee Juneau Ave. plant -- Was given to me when I balked at "chrome issues" via a survey... got their attention quickly, and found a "name" behind the phone number.

Jon Selensky

Harley-Davidson Motor Company Customer Service

414-434-4056

Jonathon.Selensky@harley-davidson.com

Marg,
You are correct about the use of relays.  The motorcycle industry is reticent in their use because of the additional time and expense to do this.  

I am not certain of which wires that you think are redundant......please explain.

The "heated" accessories are having a problem because of primitive circuitry adaptation to the heated accesory issue.  The overheating and resultant meltdown are a direct result of purpose built cost accounting.....it is not profitable for the MoCo to "overbuild" any product based upon any future anticipated usage.  Additionally, the flat rate book does not allow for this procedure(wiring) to be done correctly....therefore the "shadetree-mechanic" method of tying into the closest available circuit is employed by the dealerships.

I am happy that your concerns expressed to the MoCo through their CS REP have brought you resolution to your chrome problems.

One other possible gripe with the MoCo is that they expect their suppliers to adhere to JIT (just in time).  THEY ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THIS JIT WHEN DEALING WITH THEIR CUSTOMER BASE.......ESPECIALLY WITH THE CVO'S.

Mike

Mike  

flhrsei2_gret's_is for sale

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2004, 05:21:02 PM »

Cool your jets, Mike.

Remember the add on multiple relay pack that was ordered to handle the accessories. Louie ended up with that. I'm not about to pack on any add'l things and wreck the electrical supply.

The band aid that we are given is the "kit" we can purchase when setting up the bike. It involves a series of relays. Thus, keeping a set point available for troubleshooting. If that's not used, and others chose to splice into a main wire without a relay, they are asking for trouble.

...at my age knowledge is not based on what the book says, because - we write the books.

mfgreen

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2004, 06:15:32 PM »

Cool your jets, Mike.

Remember the add on multiple relay pack that was ordered to handle the accessories. Louie ended up with that. I'm not about to pack on any add'l things and wreck the electrical supply.

The band aid that we are given is the "kit" we can purchase when setting up the bike. It involves a series of relays. Thus, keeping a set point available for troubleshooting. If that's not used, and others chose to splice into a main wire without a relay, they are asking for trouble.

WRONG THREAD.......... read response under headlight problems

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2004, 05:26:07 PM »

This is a great comment, and my number one gripe at H-D, when I do my Thunder Press coverage of their new model offerings (refer: Jan '04 International Motorcycle Show story).

If one looks at what BMW has accomplished with ABS, it is truly phenomenal, and would do more to prevent needless accidents for new riders than a month of Riders Edge courses!

It is truly Harleys biggest shortcoming, and no excuses need apply!

The second paragraph speaks volumns Eddieboy.

And now I know where I recognize your user name........Thunder Press.  I read it every month and have had a few letters printed in the editorials.  I wrote them regarding this web site.........mentioning that it is a free site and does not accept any advertising (therefore not a threat to Thunder Press or any other publication or web site) and that it's a site for all CVO owners and has a forum for each of the CVO models.  I never saw it published however, American Rider Magazine did!

Maybe you can use some of your influence and power of the mighty pen and mention it in your column.  In return, I will make a commitment to read you column each month instead of sporadically.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mfgreen

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2004, 08:50:01 PM »

The following information is as supplied by BMWNA.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 09:21:19 PM by mfgreen »

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2004, 09:30:06 AM »

Have to think HD has good enginners why would they put out such a system when there are better ones.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

mfgreen

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2004, 09:52:53 AM »

Have to think HD has good engineers why would they put out such a system when there are better ones.
Mr Magoo,
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 09:54:01 AM by mfgreen »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.