Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hot oil bag cap  (Read 2260 times)

Old Spice

Hot oil bag cap
« on: August 11, 2015, 11:23:57 AM »

I am short (5ft.) and I love that this bike fits me so well. I have taken two long trips on it in the last 1 1/2 years. The first trip was 9,000 miles in 3 weeks and we just returned from the second trip which was 7,800 miles in 3 weeks. I have learned to deal with many of the negative things I have found about it. I haven't decided how to deal with this issue yet. On these long rides where I am virtually on the bike all day I have found that the cap on the oil bag is branding my right thigh on the back. I guess when I have my leg down and the bike is hot my leg lays right across it. Mind you it doesn't hit exactly the same spot every time so the purple place on my thigh is quite large. I switched to the dipstick with the temp gauge in the cap thinking it might be flatter but made no difference. I have decided that I need to have a leather "cap" made to cover the metal cap and give a buffer between the metal and my leg. Thicker jeans have not solved this issue either. I guess I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue as well. I am a woman so I do not want to deal with ugly purple "brands" on the back of my thigh. If any of you have another ideas I would love to hear it.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Hot oil bag cap
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 02:01:38 PM »

That's actually a pretty common complaint on Softails, enough so that the aftermarket sells covers for the cap.

Check out this thread:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=82075.0

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Old Spice

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 03:39:19 PM »

Thanks for the re-direct. I looked for a thread but didn't find it.

Triple M

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AR

Old Spice

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 01:26:21 PM »

Triple M, That is what I decided on. Just got it yesterday. Took a short ride today and in Texas weather I could really tell the difference. A little more difficult to check oil levels but very doable. Really like this!

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.