Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '15 Fairing side deflectors??  (Read 4362 times)

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

'15 Fairing side deflectors??
« on: August 14, 2015, 09:42:44 PM »

Anyone else think these do more to move air TO the rider than away, or is it just me??
Took mine off just for grins and seemed calmer, so i put one back on and it seems like the wind is 3-4" further out
on the side without the deflector??

Anyone else notice this??
2015 CVO Road Glide

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: '15 Fairing side deflectors??
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 10:04:39 PM »

Haven't bothered to try it Tom. I know Sancho's made a nice little bit of profit selling those wings he made for the last generation of Sharks. I may experiment with it myself.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 10:15:41 PM »

I wish someone would make them with a hinge to scoop air when you want it, like the Willie wings on Ultras
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 11:12:38 PM »

I wish someone would make them with a hinge to scoop air when you want it, like the Willie wings on Ultras

Now there's an idea!  But they would have to look really cool!

I took mine off for the summer.  Likely put them back on when chillier weather hits again.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 08:57:10 AM »

Are y'all speaking of the those tiny winglets just at the bottom/rear of the faring around the tank?  How in the world can those little things make that much difference?  If those are what y'all are speaking toward, I may attempt removal and see if it directs less air on Vickie.  Seems she's getting quite a bit more side air than she was on the SESG.  Not much more, just enough to notice a difference.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 11:07:34 PM »

This is crazy, the little tinted plastic deflectors? Really???

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 11:55:21 PM »

Hey, it ain't our fault, guys!  The Moco put the silly things on there.   :P

Maybe they thought we would look at them and say "Wow, those are so cool!  I'll bet they work just awesome!"

I doubt I ever put mine back on.  I'm just considering myself lucky they came off so easy...unlike that crazy chrome plastic horseshoe under the ignition switch...
Harry
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

nytryder

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 07:14:09 PM »

I just returned from a 3200 mi trip and found the little plastic wings were able to direct rain water into the top of my boot at varying speeds and differing volumes of rain. I had Sanchos wings on my 12 RGU for awhile but removed them after a couple thousand miles. As others noted I'm not so sure the little Harley wings do much if anything to help with wind. They can at times fill your boots though.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 08:21:58 PM »

I just returned from a 3200 mi trip and found the little plastic wings were able to direct rain water into the top of my boot at varying speeds and differing volumes of rain. I had Sanchos wings on my 12 RGU for awhile but removed them after a couple thousand miles. As others noted I'm not so sure the little Harley wings do much if anything to help with wind. They can at times fill your boots though.

Hmmmm.  Must not have been raining when the brain trust at Harley/Rushedmore project folks came up with the idea for them.
Harry

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 08:50:20 AM »

Correct me if I'm a bit foggy on this, but weren't those things originally designed for and installed on the pre-Rushmore bikes to help direct air to fill the vacuum that forms behind the fairing?  I wouldn't think that would be necessary with the new bikes with the built in vents.  Or is this some other winglet I'm unfamiliar with?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 09:39:18 AM »

Correct me if I'm a bit foggy on this, but weren't those things originally designed for and installed on the pre-Rushmore bikes to help direct air to fill the vacuum that forms behind the fairing?  I wouldn't think that would be necessary with the new bikes with the built in vents.  Or is this some other winglet I'm unfamiliar with?

Jerry

Jerry,
My guess is the Moco felt there was or could be some turbulence coming off the new sharknose on either side down by the rider's thighs.  Possibly this turbulence was felt by the passenger as well.  In any event the deflectors are only about 6-8" long, curved, and only stick out about 1+ inches beyond the rear lip of the fairing on both sides. 
To hear some of the comments here, it may just have been something HD added that they thought looked cool or would impress.  Mine are off and I can't tell what they may or may not have done to improve my ride, to be honest with you.  Now that I'm used to them being off, I may put them on one day when it's cold and go take a ride to see what they really (might) do.
In any event, they are definitely not vents nor are they designed to re-direct air toward the occupants.  If anything, they are the opposite.
Harry

coopsdad

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 09:28:17 PM »

After reading this I decided to 'experiment' myself. I took off the left one, with the right one remaining and went for a ride. It was 95 and really humid, I could not tell any difference at first; but, I went home and changed out of my jeans to against what would be considered proper riding gear, a pair of shorts I was immediately informed that the little deflectors do direct a large amount of air AWAY from my knees. The left leg of my shorts was fully inflated, my right leg was as calm as could be. I could not tell the difference in jeans, but the shorts really told the story. To verify I returned the same way I left home to determine if it was by chance the wind form the left side that was causing my left leg to 'inflate', but I had the same experience in both directions.

To make sure ( as any real experiment should be verified) I replaced the left one and the short ride told me they do move air from the top of your knees.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 08:45:43 AM »

After reading this I decided to 'experiment' myself. I took off the left one, with the right one remaining and went for a ride. It was 95 and really humid, I could not tell any difference at first; but, I went home and changed out of my jeans to against what would be considered proper riding gear, a pair of shorts I was immediately informed that the little deflectors do direct a large amount of air AWAY from my knees. The left leg of my shorts was fully inflated, my right leg was as calm as could be. I could not tell the difference in jeans, but the shorts really told the story. To verify I returned the same way I left home to determine if it was by chance the wind form the left side that was causing my left leg to 'inflate', but I had the same experience in both directions.

To make sure ( as any real experiment should be verified) I replaced the left one and the short ride told me they do move air from the top of your knees.

So now we know what they actually do (thanks coopsdad).  The next question is, why would you want to eliminate air flow to your knees, at least in the summer?  I can see a benefit in the winter perhaps, but I'd think most people would appreciate a little cool air to the upper leg region in summer.  :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.