Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: rough idle and noisy primary  (Read 4666 times)

AG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

rough idle and noisy primary
« on: September 02, 2015, 02:29:32 PM »

2014 CVO LIMITED. My idle has a stumble and when it stumbles it sounds like the compensating sprocket rocks back and forth. The dealer said it was the slip clutch making the noise. They took it apart and found nothing worn and put it back together. Still doing the same thing.If the idle is increased 25 to 50 more RPMS it doesn't make the noise. Anyone esle experienced this and has anyone found a solution. I tink if it idled more smoothly it would be ok.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: rough idle and noisy primary
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 03:17:17 PM »

2014 CVO LIMITED. My idle has a stumble and when it stumbles it sounds like the compensating sprocket rocks back and forth. The dealer said it was the slip clutch making the noise. They took it apart and found nothing worn and put it back together. Still doing the same thing.If the idle is increased 25 to 50 more RPMS it doesn't make the noise. Anyone esle experienced this and has anyone found a solution. I tink if it idled more smoothly it would be ok.

Ask the dealership to tweak the idle speed.  I'm not sure what the limits are these days, but in the past they could make slight adjustments to idle speed with the Digital Tech without needing to do anything illegal.

If you haven't had the bike tuned or added some sort of tuning device, maybe it's time to consider what a good tune can do for you.  Adjusting idle speed and mixture will usually smooth out the idle, which is set very lean on a stock setup.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

AG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 03:41:28 PM »

Dealer tried to adjust the idle up, but couldnt get it to stay that way after disconnecting their computer. They didnt seem to know how to work it. Ive been thinking about the Vance and Hines FP3 or Cobra FI200R. Any thoughts or experience with either.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 03:58:45 PM »

Dealer tried to adjust the idle up, but couldnt get it to stay that way after disconnecting their computer. They didnt seem to know how to work it. Ive been thinking about the Vance and Hines FP3 or Cobra FI200R. Any thoughts or experience with either.

Neither of those "solutions" would be on my recommended list.  Take a look at flash tuners like TTS MasterTune or Power Vision.  Either of those would have much more capability than the add-on box units sold by all the various exhaust companies.  The best recommendation is to look for a full time professional dyno tuner with an excellent reputation (not normally found in a Harley dealership btw), and ask for his recommendations.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ranger

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 07:34:31 AM »

I know this sounds crazy...but had same issue with my wife's bike....they changes bearings...compensator...etc...  I saw a similar post and someone said to change the compensator oil to Harley's Formula Plus...  I did and it corrected both issues....no one at HD can explain why...but after 3,000 miles it still is noise free and the idle is smooth....  Worth a try...only a couple bucks.
2018 CVO StreetGlide

06fatdaddy

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 09:41:13 PM »

Found out there are some new shims for the compensator sprocket. Waiting on a set for mine, will post results after they are installed.

Ranger

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 09:46:19 AM »

They tried that on my wife's bike ......did not work...made a slight improvement...still recommend you try the oil change...
2018 CVO StreetGlide

AG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 09:59:46 AM »

Is your wife's bike a CVO Limited?

Ranger

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 10:09:16 AM »

No....a Limited Low....they said the same thing about her's....that the compensator needed shims...the shims did not correct the issue...still sounded like there were marbles in the primary at idle...and the idle was rough... 
2018 CVO StreetGlide

SOCAL296

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited Silver and Maroon
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Limited Magnetic Gry M8 117
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 11:38:35 PM »

Mine was doing this only after it got heated up. I explained this at my last service and haven't had the issue since. What you are hearing is the chain rattling inside the primary. Likely loose enough but not enough to click up the chain tensioner.
Get the back warm then do a few quick accelerations/high RPM in first gear take offs. I don't mean make a dragstrip style start. Get moving from a stop then quick acceleration to 4k rpms then engine brake down. Do this 3 or 4 times in a row. The goal is to make the tensioner slip into the next notch.
Your rough idle may be the ETMS as it drops a cylinder when it reaches a high temp.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 11:41:16 PM by SOCAL296 »
DR

AG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 09:20:54 AM »

Friday the dealer installed a new compensating sprocket. So far after 400 miles this seem to fix the rattle.I installed a new map with the TTS and the bike is idling much smoother. Have always had the ETMS disabled.

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.