Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2015 headlight issues  (Read 6232 times)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: 2015 headlight issues
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 10:05:07 PM »

Maybe you went the wrong way?? Mine work fine (15 RGU), I did raise them 4.5 full turns to get them to correct height but they work fine. I stopped beside a new Escalade at light friday night and no street lights were around. Very dark area, both my lights and the Cad were identical as far as the end of pattern in distance. I like mine, not as bright at the LED's on my SERG were but better than any halogen I ever saw.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 10:58:22 PM »

Ron,
I went the wrong way the first time I adjusted mine, which like yours were set way too low from the factory.
Also, unless you have a really keen eye, you'll have trouble seeing the headlight "rotate" upward or downward, as each turn moves it so minutely.
It could take as many as 20-30 turns to get it where you want it, but you need to perservere.  Once you get it set properly for you, you'll be really happy with these headlights.  Trust me, I live in major deer and other critter country, and the first time I drove it at night, I was scared to death.  Had to ride on high beams all the way home.
Then adjusted it the wrong way the first time, making it worse.  Then overcompensated and adjusted them too high, and now, they're set up perfect, and the lights are awesome.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 08:44:12 AM »

RG Ron, please believe us when we tell you it isn't the lights, it's how they are adjusted.  If you actually used the full method posted, which you can't do in a garage unless you have one about 35 foot long, you would be able to see very easily if you were moving the beam upward or downward by watching the pattern on the wall.  You won't see significant movement at the actual headlight because the adjuster is a very fine thread, but the movement will be obvious on the wall 25 feet away.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RG RON

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 11:22:48 AM »

I got the opportunity to ride at dusk after the first adjustment and was very disappointed in the projection so days later I made the other adjustment but haven't rode at night or near night since but if the day riding is not a positive even with high beams then there is a problem. I want to get this issue resolved that's why I have done the initial post to get some direction. I'm sure the lights are good I just haven't hit the combo yet, just frustrating having to do the trial and error stuff and dealer's don't seem to think this is much of an issue. I went to another dealer and the service guy says that they didn't have a tech there that was familiar with it and then I was told to do the update on the boom audio myself by going on HD'S website which I did. Just very frustrated by service after the sale. Not a rookie in how things are done from past experiences as a tech, at dealerships (car) and having my own business. I do believe in the directions that are posted here and continue to follow along in learning. All opinions are appreciated.

RG RON

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2015, 03:51:52 PM »

Headlights revisited. I just looked at several pictures of the benefit ride I was on last week at different places on the route and when on both low beams and high's, I can see the lights just fine and I'm about 5 or more bike lengths behind my wife on her trike. The 2 other's ahead of my wife both said they seen me fine throughout the day so I feel my wife is BS'ing me. The LED's are more of a direct light and appear different than a standard halogen bulb, and visably different. Being a former Pa State Insp mechanic and years of exp. there is no way Federal DOT Regs. would allow any manufacture car/truck/motorcycle to produce something not legal for highway use. Guess we will have to get this issue cleared up.  :nixweiss:

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2015, 07:32:01 PM »

Seems everyone I know with CVO Limited were all set too high. Shining up in the trees just the opposite of the Road Glides.

RG RON

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2015, 08:47:01 PM »

Haven't heard anything about the ultra's but the general consensus is the rg's  are low from the factory when delivered to the dealer's and dealer's don't seem to make any checks or adjustments.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2015, 09:56:36 AM »

Haven't heard anything about the ultra's but the general consensus is the rg's  are low from the factory when delivered to the dealer's and dealer's don't seem to make any checks or adjustments.

The consensus is right.  And Harley has been shipping bikes out the door, and dealers sending them out their doors, with misaligned headlights for as long as I can remember.  It's part of the entire philosophy of the company and the typical dealer, the people keep buying the crap so why put forth any effort to do it right.  And the fact that so many people complain on these forums and then turn right around and buy another new Harley tends to prove they know their customer base pretty well.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RG RON

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2015, 10:28:19 AM »

The consensus is right.  And Harley has been shipping bikes out the door, and dealers sending them out their doors, with misaligned headlights for as long as I can remember.  It's part of the entire philosophy of the company and the typical dealer, the people keep buying the crap so why put forth any effort to do it right.  And the fact that so many people complain on these forums and then turn right around and buy another new Harley tends to prove they know their customer base pretty well.

Jerry
Jerry, I agree with everything you said. I've been riding bikes on and off for over 25 years riding both Metrics and the last few years HD's and I have never had to make any headlamp adjustments on any of my bikes, total of 10 to 12 off top of my head without sitting and counting, even rode passenger on my  Dad's bikes as a kid. This is the first one I had to make any adjustments. I jokingly said just last week that I had more money in my pocket riding metrics than Harley's. Don't get me wrong I love my bike, but to be forced to make adjustments to be seen on a 40 k bike and getting told by a dealer more than one to make the adjustments and updates myself on the infotainment system is in my opinion absurd. A long time friend of mine who rides a 2011 Ultra is disgusted with issues he has had and made a statement last weekend that he in the future is going back to metrics. I told him as a mechanic/tech from past years it doesn't matter what it is if it's mechanical it can break or have issues. He agreed but said he has never had to put money into his metrics that he has his Ultra the short time he has owned it. Made me think back years ago and believe he is correct in that statement. I've found out that HD's seem to sell themselves with all the hype ect.  :)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.