Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Amsoil verses HD Synthetic  (Read 21104 times)

hogwild11

• Screamin' Eagle
  • Riding Free and loving every minute of it!!!
    • AL

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHTKSE
Amsoil verses HD Synthetic
« on: September 12, 2015, 10:08:27 PM »

I've heard that using a non-HD oil can void warranty.  What do you know about this and what is the best oil to use?
V&H Power Duals
Rinehart Exhaust
Rumbling Pride LED

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: Amsoil verses HD Synthetic
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 10:20:30 PM »

I know that it is bs.  google the Magnusson-moss warranty act and you'll find lots of good info.  like if a manufacturer requires you to use a specific product, and only that product, to keep the warranty intact then they have to provide you with that product.  so if it is your dealer telling you that, then ask him when you can come in for your free oil change.....

the 'best' oil?  there really isn't one.  ask 100 people and you'll get 101 different answers.  as long as you use the correct viscosity oil, and change it at regular intervals, you won't have an oil related failure.  use one that you have ready access to.  I prefer redline 20w-60 myself.  but then, it is hotter than snot here.....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

boilermakersmark

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 10:25:44 PM »

I too have heard that it will void warranty however I've also been told (From a former HD Mech) that Harley's "Syn3" Motor Oil is not Synthetic! 

Nowhere on the bottle does it state it is Synthetic.  The fellow told me it is a play on words and leaves us with the illusion that it is synthetic but it's actually Mobile 1 just packaged for Harley Davidson.  In a nutshell, he suggested that I not waste my money on it (or the mark up) and put either "Red Line" or Amsoil in my bike as they are both Full Synthetic. 

Just passing along what I've been told.

Matt

mark

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 11:41:32 PM »

I too have heard that it will void warranty however I've also been told (From a former HD Mech) that Harley's "Syn3" Motor Oil is not Synthetic! 

Nowhere on the bottle does it state it is Synthetic.  The fellow told me it is a play on words and leaves us with the illusion that it is synthetic but it's actually Mobile 1 just packaged for Harley Davidson.  In a nutshell, he suggested that I not waste my money on it (or the mark up) and put either "Red Line" or Amsoil in my bike as they are both Full Synthetic. 

Matt

I hesitate to post this out of fear of getting flamed, but here goes:

You may want to take the advice of self-appointed oil "experts" with a grain of salt.  Can you tell me what will be the difference in your bike if you run brand X over brand Y?  I've read many unsupported claims on this forum regarding oil.  Things such as, brand X gave me more power, I know this because of my "butt" dyno.  Really?  You're riding a bike that weighs almost 1,000 lbs and with a rider, you're looking at 1200+lbs....and someone is making the claim they can feel a power difference by changing oil?  Here's another one: Switching to brand Y dropped my operating temp because the bike "feels" cooler.  No actual accurate measurement of temps...sort of like the butt dyno.  I guess this is the "butt temp gauge."  And then there's always the guy pushing the virtues of a particular brand because he "likes" it.  I'm not sure how one "likes" an oil.  Sort of like saying you like Shell gas over Exxon.

Some will have you believe your engine will self-destruct if you don't run a particular brand of oil.  I've never read or heard of an engine failure attributed to a particular brand of oil.  Lastly, be cautious of the expertise opined from the guys hanging around the coffee pot at your Harley dealer.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 02:31:48 PM by Mark »

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 12:04:58 AM »

Matt

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 07:24:02 AM »

"The fellow told me it is a play on words and leaves us with the illusion that it is synthetic but it's actually Mobile 1 just packaged for Harley Davidson."

This doesn't make sense, Mobil 1 is a full synthetic, and darn good as well.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 08:20:30 AM »

Where can I get my butt temp calibrated?

The butt dyno part is fine not being exact so I can brag its faster when washed and waxed too. Feels that way at least and don't want to think otherwise.
Will

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 08:22:04 AM »

PS Amsiol is a Ponzi scheme...see how many distributors are in the chain of the bottle you buy...
Will

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 08:29:41 AM »

PS Amsiol is a Ponzi scheme...see how many distributors are in the chain of the bottle you buy...

While a very good oil.....it did start the same way as Amway.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 08:32:12 AM »

From what is said- yes good product....but don't they all claim to be good?

Mark up is there...so maybe if it cost less than M1 or Redline I would try it again.
Will

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 11:03:08 AM »

Restraining myself from writing a novel on this. I will keep it short.
All of Harley Davidson Petroleum products are made by, Citgo Petroleum Corporation, Houston Texas.
Have been for well over a decade, before that they were being made by Sunoco.
You can do some internet searching and find Virgin oil and Used oil analysis on HD brand oil's.
It is a good oil, there are others out there that are less expensive to buy and provide as good or better engine protection.
I can't remember the last time I read about a engine failure related exclusively to fault of the engine oil.
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 11:45:59 AM »

This stuff works, and is inexpensive.  Check it out on Amazon.  Read the very long thread over on HTT.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 12:30:16 PM »

Pass the :vrolijk_11: please.........
2015 CVO Road Glide

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 12:33:33 PM »

This stuff works, and is inexpensive.  Check it out on Amazon.  Read the very long thread over on HTT.

Where do I find it when I need a quart in a motel parking lot on Sunday morning??
2015 CVO Road Glide

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 01:20:35 PM »

I used to polish combat boots with peanut butter and Wesson oil for a shine bright enough to blind pilots at altitude on a moonless night.  The distillates that dripped off from the temps and pressure that were resultant from the polishing process were such high quality that mere ounces bound themselves at the atomic level to the bearing, cylinder and all other internal surfaces on an engine causing said engine to gain (on average) 1476% torque and 1192% horsepower and, because of this atomic level molecular binding, it was also no longer necessary to even carry a volume of liquid oil in the crankcase nor ever change oil ever again.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 21 queries.