Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Taller guys... using the driver backrest?  (Read 6282 times)

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Taller guys... using the driver backrest?
« on: October 03, 2015, 05:05:44 PM »

I've move the backrest to the farthest back set of holes on the fender mount, I still struggle with this thing! Anyone lose that stupid spring under the seat? Jeeeze this can't be this difficult can it? Trying to get the back rest to the lowest position seems very difficult, any tips?
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Taller guys... using the driver backrest?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 05:25:23 PM »

Lost here, what spring are you talking about? I have using a HD backrest in my bikes since '05 and due to back problems that is the only reason I can still ride over 100 miles at a time. But I just have no idea what you are talking about.

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 06:06:43 PM »

Ha ha okay... here ya go Don. Getting this thing compressed and inserted and then adjusted to the lowest setting is just proving to be a fistfight. I know there has to be an easier way? I've lost that spring under the seat a couple times, and yes I've stretched the spring out. ;)

15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 06:31:43 PM »

Lance,
I too, have my bracket moved toward the rear, I think one hole further than stock if not all the way back.  Are there 3 mounting hole sets, or 4?  I can't remember. 
Anyway, I've never had a problem with the spring, but I always have a problem getting the backrest down into the slot thru that small opening in the seat.  Then you gotta figure out how to pinch it tight.  It's made worse by moving the mount back further, too.  Try using a cable tie to pinch and hold the arms together, then stuff it down in the slot, then cut the tie.  Just make sure the tie is higher up than your mount!
It's either that, or wrestle with the darn thing every time you want to take it off or put it back on.  Sorry, bro.  Not much help here, I'm afraid.   :-\
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 07:22:43 PM »

I keep couple of those extra springs around just because of that.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 07:28:22 PM »

Piece of crap IMHO. Mine sits on the shelf in the shop because of the poor design.

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 07:44:22 PM »

I put the B-rest in the seat hole before screwing in the seat hold down screw, then while looking under the seat reach under the seat and squeeze the rest arms and put them in the bracket and lock down the seat.

My arm and hand is small enough to put the b-rest at the bottom position very easily, hopefully yours is too. There is about 4" of space available, if not hire a 10 year old, lol.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 07:47:03 PM »

Yeah I can wrestle it into the darn thing Harry, but I can't get it down to the lowest setting and any higher that thing just hits me in the part of my back that I don't want it. I managed to get it to the lowest setting once and it was all good, but anything else is just uncomfortable for me.

Piece of crap IMHO. Mine sits on the shelf in the shop because of the poor design.

It makes me feel slightly better than I'm not the only one.

I put the B-rest in the seat hole before screwing in the seat hold down screw, then while looking under the seat reach under the seat and squeeze the rest arms and put them in the bracket and lock down the seat.

My arm and hand is small enough to put the b-rest at the bottom position very easily, hopefully yours is too. There is about 4" of space available, if not hire a 10 year old, lol.

Worth a try, thanks!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 09:18:34 PM »

I will have to try this method. I don't think I have mine the whole way down either.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

2014WtGld

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 12:54:23 AM »

I have run mine down low and up high. Both positions are pretty easy to obtain to me and now that I'm use to using the back rest I hate riding without it.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 10:58:20 AM »

I have run mine down low and up high. Both positions are pretty easy to obtain to me and now that I'm use to using the back rest I hate riding without it.

Kind of like the cruise control...the gps...the abs....disc brakes....locking saddle bags....heated seats.....heated grips and all the other creature comforts that they've incorporated over the years.  :bananarock:

Back to the topic.....due to back issues and the surgeries, I've rode with a back rest since my 89 Ultra Classic.  While it's been a bit difficult getting it down in there and positioned correctly, it's never been to the point where I just couldn't get it.  I have learned that the hole in the seat can be opened up much further than one would think.

If I put it all the way on the lowest setting then it's my upper back that starts hurting.  If I put it up to the highest setting then it's my low back that starts hurting.  Or at least that's the way it was with all previous seats and backrests.  On the current bike (13 CVO Ultra Classic) I keep the backrest up closer (making me sit much more upright.....the way all the riding courses say we should always ride...LOL) and I just don't have any back issues for the first time in years with this seat in this position.  But it was certainly a challenge getting used to this new (to me) position.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 11:19:02 AM »

Kind of like the cruise control...the gps...the abs....disc brakes....locking saddle bags....heated seats.....heated grips and all the other creature comforts that they've incorporated over the years.  :bananarock:

Back to the topic.....due to back issues and the surgeries, I've rode with a back rest since my 89 Ultra Classic.  While it's been a bit difficult getting it down in there and positioned correctly, it's never been to the point where I just couldn't get it.  I have learned that the hole in the seat can be opened up much further than one would think.

If I put it all the way on the lowest setting then it's my upper back that starts hurting.  If I put it up to the highest setting then it's my low back that starts hurting.  Or at least that's the way it was with all previous seats and backrests.  On the current bike (13 CVO Ultra Classic) I keep the backrest up closer (making me sit much more upright.....the way all the riding courses say we should always ride...LOL) and I just don't have any back issues for the first time in years with this seat in this position.  But it was certainly a challenge getting used to this new (to me) position.

Hey, JC...someone needs to invent a backrest for us sore back types that can go either heated to cold!  If they can do it in a car, why not for us on a bike?  Course then, the MoCo would charge out the wazoo for that option, wouldn't they?
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 12:20:42 PM »

Yes they would and personally, HD has helped me as much as I can afford, lol.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

golaith69

• 06 FLHTCUSE - BLACK CANDY CRIMSON
  • Full CVO Member
  • PLEASE STAND UP WHEN YOU ARE TALKING 2 ME
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 12:21:13 PM »

I like that type of backrest the other adjustable type sucks - and costs more money .. .. I am 6'9" and I have had it working for me on that type..i just put it as far back as it can go..
up grades - true duals , vance & hines slash cuts , power commander , KN super sucker -w/ chrome base , smart siren II w/ pager ,chrome inner primary ,engine lites ,L.E.D tail lites ,chrome windshield molding ,oil temp guage into fairing, speaker trim rings ,radio trim piece , etc.

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 12:59:45 PM »

Last time I put back rest on I used a pair of channel locks to hold it till I got it in the lowest holes. I know it's scratching the paint on the bracket. I'll have to try the zip tie method. Had the larger adjustable back rest on my previous Limited with a hammock seat. Liked it but it was so large it rubbed the slot in the seat and have to put protective plastic on the seat to prevent rubbing a hole in it. Also had to put additional mounting holes in it to fit the hammock seat.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.