Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: intercom install  (Read 1798 times)

hogwander

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
intercom install
« on: January 22, 2007, 05:53:22 PM »

I posted this in the Road Glide section and didn't get a lot of response. I think this is a better area. I have been a softail Harley guy so the audio stuff is pretty new to me. Can you put an intercom system on these bikes (2001 SE Road Glide) that looks like it was supposed to be there? I have seen the mount in my brother-in-laws Ultra. It is built into the tank panel. My tank panel does not have this area for connecting. Does anyone else have one installed on their bike? Where did you put it?  I have lost some hearing with artillery, guns, helicopters and such that I have a difficult time understanding my wife with my helmet on. I know someone is going say,"Now is that really a problem?".  I am also wondering if the music from the radio can play inside the helmet with these type of connectors.  One person suggested a wireless intercom system just to talk to the passenger. Does anyone here have experience with this type of system? Pros/cons    Always grateful!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 05:56:22 PM by hogwander »
5 P's = Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance

electraglideclyde

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • GA

Re:  intercom install
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 06:49:42 PM »

Harley makes a intercom/CB kit for converting the RG, but you also have to have an 03-05 Ultra style radio. It's in the P7A catalog PN# 76331-98. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Hair of the Dog

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 03:24:14 PM »

You should hit the local swap meets to find the tank panel.  Fairly often I'll see one at the local meets here.  Getting the radio fixed over is more $.  You'll probably have to send it to Radio-Sound (who I've found to be less than helpful in the past) to get the intercom portion added.  It may be easier to find a take out Ultra radio at the meet as well, though I haven't seen those very often.  Something like a Autocom or a Chatterbox may be easier and certainly less $.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

hogwander

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 05:19:34 PM »

Thanks for the responses. I was afraid that this wasn't going to work to easily with my older style unit. I don't think I want to spend that much right now to make it all work. New radio and a conversion kit sounds like a little too much out of my budget for what you get. Maybe I can find a used pullout or something at a swap-meet later. The chatterbox might do the trick for me in the meantime.
5 P's = Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.