Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone use products to protect chrome?  (Read 3571 times)

turn_key

Anyone use products to protect chrome?
« on: January 01, 2016, 12:52:25 PM »

My old Dyna and Ultra had boot marks and a host of road junk over the years, and now that I'm paranoid about the cvo's chrome I'm wondering if any of you use products to protect/seal/pre-treat.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Anyone use products to protect chrome?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 02:17:25 PM »

Nope, chrome unlike paint is not porous, sealants/polishes etc just sit on top of it and as a result wash/wear away rather quickly, whereas on paint the products can actually attach themselves to the penetrable finish. I have never found this to be a problem as I wash and clean bike allover weekly but if you don't just use a chrome cleaner after washing the bikes to remove any non-water soluble residue and it will help protect it for  a little while.
There are some snake oils out there sold as long term chrome protectant, they do not work in the real world.

turn_key

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 03:57:44 PM »

Not that I haven't tried some of snake oil products, because I have just to try to get rid of the junk over the years, but didn't know if there was anything to to prevent the gunk buildup. So having personal resolve and a little elbow grease is the best prevention? Understood  ;)

Hddeluxe

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

• Bernt the Swede
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 05:03:45 PM »

It is not true that chrome is maintainance free.
But it is hard to find a solution...
Until you learn that bees wax does the work. Melt bees wax and mix ten percent carosin into it and put it in a plastic cup to cool. Press out the lump and you have your "tool". Warm the chrome part to be threatened, just warm, not hot, and put some wax on it. Then rub it in thoroughly until it's not visible anymore. If it's a large part you might have to warm it several times, or it'll be weary hard and time consuming.
Bees wax is the only thing that can penetrate chrome. I usually does this during winter and if done correctly, and not to aggressive detergents are used when cleaning the bike it'll last for the season, even here in cold and rainy Sweden.
Oh, I never uses any cleaning detergents on the bike that I'm not prepared to wash my face with...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 06:46:47 PM by Hddeluxe »
FLSTNSE 2014 CRIMSON RED

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 05:47:19 PM »

It is not true that chrome is maintainant free.
But it is hard to find a solution...
Until you learn that bees wax does the work. Melt bees wax and mix ten percent carosin into it and put it in a plastic cup to cool. Press out the lump and you have your "tool". Warm the chrome part to be threatened, just warm, not hot, and put some wax on it. Then rub it in thoroughly until it's not visible anymore. If it's a large part you might have to warm it several times, or it'll be weary hard and time consuming.
Bees wax is the only thing that can penetrate chrome. I usually does this during winter and if done correctly, and not to aggressive detergents are used when cleaning the bike it'll last for the season, even here in cold and rainy Sweden.
Oh, I never uses some cleaning detergents on the bike that I'm not prepared to wash my face with...
never heard of this before, very cool!
Alan

JDLEE

• Junior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride!!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 06:19:42 PM »

MAAS polish and protectant. Used it for years and works great on chrome.....removes boot marks, road grime, you name it. Leaves a bright, scratch free shine and the protectant keeps it that way for a long time!

turn_key

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 08:11:50 PM »

Did not know about the beeswax thing..cool. I've seen Maas in the store, I'll give that a try. Thanks

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 11:34:38 PM »

I have used 'Brasso' for years on chrome/stainless steel for all my motorcycles, cars, drag cars and street rods....great product.  If you were in the military, back in the day, you used this on your buttons/medals.   The new formula has changed some, so I have read.  Luckily I still have some of the old stock left.  If you can find it in the metal can and not the plastic bottle...that is the old formula.  A little bit goes a long way and it leaves some protection on the surface as water will bead on it even after 2-3 washes. 

http://www.amazon.com/Brasso-Multipurpose-Metal-Polish-8-oz/dp/B00BILDIU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451708193&sr=8-1&keywords=brasso

"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.