Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yaffe mini ape dillema  (Read 3717 times)

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 1962 XLCH
    • CVO3: 1965 FLH
Yaffe mini ape dillema
« on: February 10, 2016, 06:12:10 PM »

I had the back two bolts that thread into the risers loosen towards the end of riding season. It kind of makes your a$$hole pucker when you hit a pot hole and your apes are down at your belly :o. I dealt with it longer then I should have but it's now on my hit list. After tearing into it, I found the knurling on the bars isn't stripped but not all that great either. After re-tightening all four bolts, the bars don't budge other then the free play from the rubber bushings in the risers. While I have it all apart I plan on changing over to poly risers. My concern is the knurling on the bars that was compromised will come back to haunt me after I have it all back together. My question is there any quick fix for this problem that I won't regret down the road? I was considering drilling and tapping the top clamp, then installing a bolt just long enough to push against the bar, but not pierce it. I'm looking for opinions and other ideas from someone that had a similar problem. I'm sure there's an easier fix out there, than what I'm thinking. I hate to trash a set of bars less then two years old.

Thanks For Any Ideas,

Dean

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Re: Yaffe mini ape dillema
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 06:35:08 PM »

Dean,

Not sure how bad you wore the knurl off but if you are going to try set screws here is what I recomend. First I would use a machined top clamp preferably one made of steel. Second I would use conical point set screws two on each side of the bar 4 total.

I'm going on you statement that currently when tight you cannot move bars if they do move not sure I would be comfortable. Here is a picture of set screw types.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 06:38:37 PM »

Looked a little further into it and there is a top clamp made called a gorilla clamp it has set screws.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 08:07:42 PM »

Thanks Chains...I just did a little research on the gorilla top clamp and found them on amazon for about $50. That's very similar as to what I had in mind for modifying my stock top clamp. I think I'll try drilling and tapping and using the conical allen screws. I just don't want to pierce the bars to a point it rubs against any internal wiring. If that don't work, I'll spritz for the gorilla clamp. I also read on this forum about wrapping the bars with some kind of mesh tape but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Thanks Again,

Dean

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 09:37:20 PM »

Make sure you use blue loctite on the set screws.  :2vrolijk_21:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 11:40:08 AM »

I've had enough experience with this that I'd just tighten the four bolts to spec according to the handbook and be good with it. What size are the handlebars? The shorter the rise the less leverage and less movement that is likely to occur. If the the apes are 10 inch or less I wouldn't be concerned.

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 01:14:08 PM »

Make sure you use blue loctite on the set screws.  :2vrolijk_21:

I plan on using blue loctite on everything as it goes back together. I think everyone that owns a Harley has a big tube of that on hand. Lol. I don't feel like tearing the bike down every winter to retighten the bars.

I've had enough experience with this that I'd just tighten the four bolts to spec according to the handbook and be good with it. What size are the handlebars? The shorter the rise the less leverage and less movement that is likely to occur. If the the apes are 10 inch or less I wouldn't be concerned.

I have the 10 inch mini apes on it. I plan on putting a back rest on the bike which will help from pulling on the bars when I pull in a parking space that I should have backed into.

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 01:31:07 PM »

I replaced the bushing on one of my bikes before it was a fatboy that I had anyway I used ether the poly or the neoprene for the life of me I cant remember witch one and they made the handlebars shake and viberate badly just a heads up

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 02:34:43 PM »

I plan on using blue loctite on everything as it goes back together. I think everyone that owns a Harley has a big tube of that on hand. Lol. I don't feel like tearing the bike down every winter to retighten the bars.
I have the 10 inch mini apes on it. I plan on putting a back rest on the bike which will help from pulling on the bars when I pull in a parking space that I should have backed into.

I know they do for sure.  Still think I would do the set screws since some of the knurl wore off.  Better safe than sorry
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 05:42:41 PM »

I replaced the bushing on one of my bikes before it was a fatboy that I had anyway I used ether the poly or the neoprene for the life of me I cant remember witch one and they made the handlebars shake and viberate badly just a heads up

Thanks for the heads up on the vibration. I did research that and it got mixed reviews...most said they didn't notice a difference in bar vibration but did say how much better the bike handled and most felt it should come standard on any bike with ape hangers. Then there was a few bad reviews that complained about more vibration. I think it might vary between softails and touring models. I'm about to find out come spring. I think I'll hang on to the stock ones until l I find out for sure.

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 05:48:30 PM »

I know they do for sure.  Still think I would do the set screws since some of the knurl wore off.  Better safe than sorry

Yeah that's a cheap easy mod that can't hurt anything...plus it'll be hidden if it don't look the greatest :2vrolijk_21:

Ubique041

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SERG
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom....SKUNK
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 08:04:44 AM »

I used the Gorilla Clamp on my 2000 with 12" bars and they kept them ROCK SOLID.  I recommend them. 

Has anyone tried drilling and tapping the factory clamps and inserting some good long set screws?
Wishing the riding season was longer.....

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 06:10:57 PM »

I used the Gorilla Clamp on my 2000 with 12" bars and they kept them ROCK SOLID.  I recommend them. 

Has anyone tried drilling and tapping the factory clamps and inserting some good long set screws?

I added the Harley poly bushings and also drilled and tapped my stock riser clamp for extra measure. I'm very pleased with the new bushings. I actually have less vibration now, then I did with the stock rubber bushings and have absolutely zero give in the bars. The top clamp drills out very easy, but took a little time and penetrating oil to tap them. I bought two Allen bolts like mentioned in this post. I was just careful not to totally pierce the bars. I didn't want to create any sharp edges for my internal wiring to rub on. Total cost .80 cents :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 06:14:04 PM by 1badbagger »

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 06:39:30 PM »

I added the Harley poly bushings and also drilled and tapped my stock riser clamp for extra measure. I'm very pleased with the new bushings. I actually have less vibration now, then I did with the stock rubber bushings and have absolutely zero give in the bars. The top clamp drills out very easy, but took a little time and penetrating oil to tap them. I bought two Allen bolts like mentioned in this post. I was just careful not to totally pierce the bars. I didn't want to create any sharp edges for my internal wiring to rub on. Total cost .80 cents :2vrolijk_21:

That should :2vrolijk_21: do it
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.