Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Damaged paint!!  (Read 5381 times)

WKC2019

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE
Damaged paint!!
« on: March 11, 2016, 08:09:00 AM »

So I pulled my saddle bags for the first time this last weekend to install the docking hardware. After finding the sissy bar wouldn't fit because it was hitting the right shock (fixed thanks to this forum) I was getting everything back together. Walk over to the bags, which were lying on a thick blanket, and find these. WTH!!!  A brand new bike with damage.  I was less than happy. I was even less happy when I went to the dealer, who took pics and called Milwaukee, said HD would not warranty the bags. They said the cosmetic warranty only covers areas visible during a walk around of the bike. I guess this is more of a venting post, sorry. Had to vent to some people who would understand.

WKC2019

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Re: Damaged paint!!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 08:10:14 AM »

The other bag. They are on the front bottom over the saddle bag support rail.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 09:10:28 AM »

I would keep on them about this, being calm, letting the dealer know that you understand that they sell the bike and not assembly them. But that isn't the quality of bike that you understood you were buying, it may pass the " can't be seen at 20 feet away, than its ok "
I went through a simular thing on a Road King Classic but with the quality of the leather, the dealer agreed and replaced the bag with a bike from the showroom floor.
Good luck
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 09:35:42 AM »

I view that as unacceptable no matter where the paint damage occurred and would expect everything to be perfect as you would anticipate with a new purchase. Quite a dilemma where the MoCo doesn't view it as an issue. Hopefully working with your dealer can find a resolution, but if it were in my case where my CVO was purchased I doubt I could get any helpful response. Best of luck with this.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 10:58:11 AM »

The marks can probably be buffed out, but the circle of missing paint is the real issue.  How long have you owned the bike?  I can't imagine them not fixing it!

JIMINVA

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 11:32:37 AM »

At purchase on WED I found 3 damaged spots.  Salesman and Finance guy were both fine with writing it up as "WE OWE YOU". However, a dealer employee said, "Harley will not do anything if you can't make it out from 5 feet away".  So I said, Ok.  I can't read my check from 5 feet away so I'll take it back.  // will update this repair saga.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 02:28:41 PM »

Harley has been getting more and more pissy about authorizing paint warranty repairs, and that's after already being among the worst I've dealt with in the first place.  They really do have some silly standard they use to deny coverage, based on how far away from the part you can still see the defect.  As one who spent more than a few years on the manufacturer side of this issue in the auto business, I fully understand that cosmetic flaws in areas that are not normally visible shouldn't carry the same weight as flaws on what we called the "A" surfaces, which are easily seen by anyone.  But I've seen Harley try to use that same BS on surfaces that aren't hidden but rather right out in the open.  Such as an obvious off-color spot under the clearcoat on the upper side of the fuel tank.  As the quality has gotten worse, and therefore the warranty costs have gone up, Harley has been looking for more and more ways to avoid paying warranty claims, and not just on paint.

With a flaw on the bottom of something like a saddlebag, I can't say I would approve replacement of the bag if I was the rep either.  But I would authorize a spot repair or at least try to find a way to satisfy the buyer of a brand new bike.  If Harley doesn't step up, I would suggest you offer that option to the dealer.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 03:02:13 PM »

At purchase on WED I found 3 damaged spots.  Salesman and Finance guy were both fine with writing it up as "WE OWE YOU". However, a dealer employee said, "Harley will not do anything if you can't make it out from 5 feet away".  So I said, Ok.  I can't read my check from 5 feet away so I'll take it back.  // will update this repair saga.
Good answer!! :2vrolijk_21: Nor can you ride the bike from 5 feet away. If a flaw is visible it's visible... period!!

With a flaw on the bottom of something like a saddlebag, I can't say I would approve replacement of the bag if I was the rep either.  But I would authorize a spot repair or at least try to find a way to satisfy the buyer of a brand new bike.  If Harley doesn't step up, I would suggest you offer that option to the dealer.

JMHO - Jerry
I can understand and see Jerry's (grc) point above but that's when the dealer should step up to "make it right" for the customer.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

WKC2019

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 06:30:51 PM »

I have had the bike about 3 weeks now. I will be going back to talk with the HMFIC of sales. We are on good terms so hopefully he can do something about it. It would be one thing if they were flaws in the paint, but these look like someone slid the bags on something, wearing through the clear coat. The "rock chip" as the services manager said, has the same scuff marks on the leading edge, leading me to believe it too was caused by dragging the bag on something.

I get that it's not visible and I'm the only one who will know it's there, I thinks it's just more of the principal. I drop that much cash on a bike, I expect it not to be damaged.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 06:46:52 PM »

I'd have my wife blow up their facebook page. You would be amazed by some of the results.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 06:47:30 PM »

Personally I would just ride the bike, get a few more scratches, and enjoy the ride.

After all it is a vehichle not a furniture.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 07:23:23 PM »

They go with a lettered surface scheme.  I believe A and B surfaces are visible....the inside lip of my bag lids isn't uniform, but cleared.  I said something and they said it's a D surface, which meant you can't see it unless you have to take it apart or open it. I saw factory standard models with the same thing, so I let it be....you can only see it with the bag lid opted and we are talking fingernail thickness.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 07:41:19 PM »

Personally I would just ride the bike, get a few more scratches, and enjoy the ride.

After all it is a vehichle not a furniture.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
Screw that. They will write down every blemish on trade in. If it's scratched I'm going to be the one that does it.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 08:00:35 PM »

I doubt they look under the saddle bags.

WKC2019

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 08:47:38 AM »

I doubt they look under the saddle bags.

Well that's obvious!!! Maybe they should start.  :2vrolijk_21:

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 09:36:57 AM »

That may be from dealer inspection.  I went to the dealer I go to and I saw a "tech" put a set of saddle bags on the floor when I was looking at my bike right after I bought it.  I said that's a nice painted part that you out on concrete...he said yeah...I do this all of the time.  I told the gm and the service director if that tech touched my bike I'd go elsewhere. 

WKC2019

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 05:47:55 PM »

That may be from dealer inspection.  I went to the dealer I go to and I saw a "tech" put a set of saddle bags on the floor when I was looking at my bike right after I bought it.  I said that's a nice painted part that you out on concrete...he said yeah...I do this all of the time.  I told the gm and the service director if that tech touched my bike I'd go elsewhere.

Yes, I have seen the same thing and had the same reaction, with the exception that it was my bike (an older one) and the knucklehead did it right in front of me. Voiced my opinion rather quickly on that one.

tool578

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2016, 06:44:02 PM »

I'm going on almost 11 months trying to get a paint issue taken care of on my CVO. The bike delivered with a paint bubble on the right saddlebag lid. Upon picking it up, the dealer said they've ordered a new one. Two months later the new one was installed and once I got it into the garage at home, noticed the color was a few shades darker- appeared to have a heavier metal-flake in it as it's the Hardcandy CVO. Went back to the dealer and they agreed- said they'd figure it out. Called numerous times and they said they were still working on it. Winter came and I dropped the bags off. At the time they were going to have their custom painter shoot both- wasn't too hip on that but whatever at this point. Months past and I stopped in only to learn Harley wouldn't pay for that, which I asked them about when I dropped them off- they claimed it wouldn't be a problem. They ended up sending both my lids to Gunslinger- they just got the lids back this week and I'm picking up the bags tomorrow- interested to see what the hell I get back!! Worst customer service experience I've had- from the dealer and the Motor Company-but what do you want for $46K out the door??
Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did- nothing seems to get done fast when dealing with this company- other than your $$$ disappearing fast!!

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2016, 07:53:47 PM »

I'm going on almost 11 months trying to get a paint issue taken care of on my CVO. The bike delivered with a paint bubble on the right saddlebag lid. Upon picking it up, the dealer said they've ordered a new one. Two months later the new one was installed and once I got it into the garage at home, noticed the color was a few shades darker- appeared to have a heavier metal-flake in it as it's the Hardcandy CVO. Went back to the dealer and they agreed- said they'd figure it out. Called numerous times and they said they were still working on it. Winter came and I dropped the bags off. At the time they were going to have their custom painter shoot both- wasn't too hip on that but whatever at this point. Months past and I stopped in only to learn Harley wouldn't pay for that, which I asked them about when I dropped them off- they claimed it wouldn't be a problem. They ended up sending both my lids to Gunslinger- they just got the lids back this week and I'm picking up the bags tomorrow- interested to see what the hell I get back!! Worst customer service experience I've had- from the dealer and the Motor Company-but what do you want for $46K out the door??
Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did- nothing seems to get done fast when dealing with this company- other than your $$$ disappearing fast!!

Ughhhh...this is the problem!  You'd think that Harley might have them do like a bunch of extra parts during production to help resolve warranty issues quickly....that's what I'd do if I was in charge! 

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2016, 08:19:35 PM »

Sorry to hear this is still happening. I have a large triangle shape place on the back of one saddlebag that looks as if they painted over something then clearcoated over so it's smooth but raised ridge evenly around it. up and got the same answer about not seeing it walking around it. Good luck with it, hope you have better results than I did.

RedNose44

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO SG Carbon Crystal / Phantom Flames
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 02:00:05 PM »

My dealer replaced my inner faring after they damaged the original one. The color match appears to be perfect to me. It sounds like I was lucky.

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2016 SE Streetglide
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2016, 07:27:14 AM »

My brand new bike just came with a very small blemish in the fairing that I didn't even notice until my dealer pointed it out. There recon guy is spot on and checks every inch of the bike before delivery😁 They ordered a new part and put it on yesterday. Getting my bike delivered today and can't wait! Heritage HD in Concord NH if anybody needs a great dealer.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 21 queries.