Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: twin cooled issue  (Read 4638 times)

jmanderson6

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra CVO
    • CVO2: 2014 Softail Deluxe NON-CVO
twin cooled issue
« on: January 16, 2016, 06:37:25 PM »

I have a 2016 Roadglide Ultra CVO i have had since new in sept put about 2400 miles on it, and my first issue popped its ugly head. when i got home from a ride around town came back to the bike about 10 minutes later to find a puddle of coolant from the right side lower fairing. the puddle being about 20 inches in diameter.... got it to the dealer to find out the thermostat was stuck in the closed position and the pump kept running because the temp was high (in florida it was 82) which raised the pressure and forced the fluid out of the overflow tank. so thankfully i caught it right away and all it needs is a stat and pump. Just wanted you guys to know to keep your eyes out for this. It could have caused a nasty problem for me.

jmanderson6

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

Re: twin cooled issue
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 06:03:01 PM »

update... i went riding all weekend and after i washed the bike and did my normal check of everything to find out the coolant reservoir is completely empty again.... so back to the dealer she goes..

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 06:59:36 PM »

update... i went riding all weekend and after i washed the bike and did my normal check of everything to find out the coolant reservoir is completely empty again.... so back to the dealer she goes..

If you saw no more leakage there's at least a decent chance the shop never got the system full and purged at the initial service.  The fluid originally in the recovery tank when you started then went on to completely fill the rest of the system.

Or....  the shop screwed up (the other way) and you've still got a leak.

jmanderson6

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 07:46:03 PM »

thats a very good chance thats true, but today i picked it up they said they couldn't find anything.... just topped her off got the air out of the system and all. i drove about 5 miles stopped and got gas and figured i would check again even though i just checked at the dealer and low and behold it was empty. nothing indicates an external leak and nothing to indicate internal leak (no coolant in oil).... She goes back tomorrow morning....

jmanderson6

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 02:33:19 PM »

so the dealer has had my bike for 12 days while i was off on a work trip out of town. picked it up today they said all they could find was an air pocket in the system. 3rd time I've bean told that.. rode it home and about 2 minutes after i turned it off she started pouring coolant out of the overflow.. called harley told them i was bringing her back in.. by the time i got it their and shut it off about 2 minutes later it was pouring out on their service floor. it seems not to do it while its running but a few minutes after i shut it off... anyways for the time being they gave me a rental till my bike is finished (they offered). hopefully it gets resolved.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 10:55:04 PM »

Hopefully the job will be assigned to someone this time who actually knows something about liquid cooling systems.  After all, it's old technology that's been around about a hundred years, so anyone claiming to be a fully qualified Tech should know exactly how the system works and the proper diagnostic steps to take.  And if all else fails Harley has diagnostic routines on the dealer tech website as well as in the printed manuals.

If they don't get it right this time, I'd suggest you contact the MoCo directly and let them find someone qualified to fix the bike.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

2014WtGld

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 12:40:08 AM »

My question or questions would be are they not riding the bike or running it for any length of time after the repairs? And what have they fixed? Seems that it shows up rather quick for you. So that's a indication they are simply filling it running it for a short while and calling it good even tho they haven't found or fixed anything. I do repair work for a living and am sometimes presented with weird problems that dont always show their head right away but if you don't find and fix something it's still got a problem.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 08:49:09 AM »

My question or questions would be are they not riding the bike or running it for any length of time after the repairs? And what have they fixed? Seems that it shows up rather quick for you. So that's a indication they are simply filling it running it for a short while and calling it good even tho they haven't found or fixed anything. I do repair work for a living and am sometimes presented with weird problems that dont always show their head right away but if you don't find and fix something it's still got a problem.

Exactly.  With some obscure problems of a very intermittent nature, you can understand how a shop might return the bike to you without fixing the problem.  But with a simple issue like the one in this post, where the problem occurs immediately after riding the bike home from the latest "attempt" at repair, it's obvious the shop has no clue about fixing the problem or about verifying their repairs.  This case sounds like the all-to-common incompetent tech working for an incompetent manager to me.  One comeback on a repair attempt might be excusable by some folks, but after the second failed attempt it's time to escalate the issue and go over some heads.  Or just keep wasting your time doing the same old thing and expect a different result.  I think we all know how that usually plays out.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 01:54:03 PM »

Same exact thing happened to mine at 900 miles. Dealer purged it and set the coolant level, I haven't had an issue since.
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 03:34:51 PM »

Part of the dealer problem is they don't listen to the customer. Back when I had my bike at a dealer I kept asking for them to ride it on the freeway as that speed is where the problem showed itself. End result they never did.

det1721

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2019 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Roadglide
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 04:44:24 PM »

Have them check fr cracks in the lines, have had several friends that had the same issues and after several trips they replaced the lines and that fixed the issues.

deuxroues

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 11:50:40 PM »

If you leave your bike just sitting there running for 5 minutes do both the cooling fans come on?.
If they don't you have a pump problem most likely or less likely a coolant temp sensor problem.
Getting an air pocket is strange as it is such a basic system... Of course you need to hold the throttle at 50% or more when turning ignition on when filling the system... This will start the pump and fans.
I think a big problem also is the terrible design of the 2 lower cowl mounting screws... They are captured nuts that spin the very first time you turn which means no one want to touch them to look underneath.

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 22 queries.