Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spark Plugs  (Read 5371 times)

+RO@D*R@GE+

• Full CVO Member
Spark Plugs
« on: May 06, 2016, 04:30:12 AM »

I'm always told when buying spark plugs from Harley to go with the regular plugs and not to buy the screaming eagle ones....something about the normal ones burn better  or are hotter
what do you guys use in your cvo's and are they correct?
Don't talk about it....Be about it!!!
2012 cvo road glide maple
Fullsac DX headers
CFR Mufflers
TTS tuner

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Spark Plugs
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 08:47:49 AM »

The standard plugs give you the best bang for your buck, and the SE stuff gives Harley the best bang for your buck.  Stick with the standard plugs.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jimcb1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 10:27:26 AM »

what's the differance

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 10:35:05 AM »

what's the differance
$$ = MoCo Tax on anything they put "SE/Screamin' Eagle" on.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 10:36:11 PM »

$$ = MoCo Tax on anything they put "SE/Screamin' Eagle" on.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

As a point of reference, back in the early '80s, H-D needed a product line to compete with the cheaper aftermarket companies that offered non-Harley parts, so they initiated the Screamin' Eagle line.  They (SE) WERE cheap. Or, should I say inexpensive?  Now they're primo-priced.  My, how times have changed.

:jack:
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 11:33:24 PM »

I think our bikes came with the standard plugs.
RETIRED! :fireman:

journeyman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 12:32:24 PM »

The reason to keep your stock spark plugs is about Anti-knock sensing, if using the stock ECM. 
Aftermarket plugs disable that feature due to a different electronic resistance.

The Harley ECM only knows what the resistance of the stock plugs should be when it is running properly.
Then adjusts the timing, in the event of pre-ignition, knocking, pinging, detonation, or what ever you like to call it.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 10:34:40 PM »

SE plugs have a finer tip and arm. Finer is less chance of fouling due to less area to soot up and also area of arc is hotter    Materials are also more expensive for irridium and platinum   Which resists wear and opening the gap.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-the-hood/vehicle-maintenance/vehicle-care-spark-plugs.htm

But most hd tuners and mechanics will still use stock most of time because we probably change plugs more than any group of motorists
Will

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 09:08:55 AM »

SE plugs have a finer tip and arm. Finer is less chance of fouling due to less area to soot up and also area of arc is hotter    Materials are also more expensive for irridium and platinum   Which resists wear and opening the gap.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-the-hood/vehicle-maintenance/vehicle-care-spark-plugs.htm

But most hd tuners and mechanics will still use stock most of time because we probably change plugs more than any group of motorists

The only real advantage to the SE platinum tip plugs is longevity, same as with other platinum or iridium plugs.  The material doesn't erode as quickly as the standard electrode material, thus allowing for longer change intervals.  It's what makes those 60,000 to 100,000 mile plug change intervals for cars possible.  However, as noted above, most Harley owners seem obsessed with changing plugs way too often (trained by decades of bogus requirements in the maintenance schedules).  If people still change plugs at 5k or 10k miles and use the SE plugs, they are just throwing money away.  In other words, there is no magic that makes a new SE plug perform any better than a new standard plug.  All the ads showing multiple electrodes and other gimmicks plug makers claim improve performance are BS.  I've explained to people many times in the past that when the plugs fire, only one spark is created no matter how many electrodes are positioned around the center electrode.  It's not like a plug with three or four ground electrodes will create three or four sparks at the same time. 

Study the history of spark plugs and you will find that all the gimmicks have been invented and reinvented many times.  The folks building the engines and selling the cars and bikes stick with one set of electrodes for a reason, and the aftermarket pushes the gimmicks as a way to convince people to replace perfectly good plugs with those overpriced gimmicks by inferring a performance increase.  Yup, if you replace any used plug with a new plug you might see better performance for awhile.  It's got nothing to do with all the extra electrodes however.

Jerry

Btw, the reason I threw in all the verbiage about multiple ground electrodes is due to the fact that a previous version of the SE Sparkplug had multiple ground electrodes with platinum bits attached to them.  Harley claimed all sorts of great benefits, which of course were nothing but marketing hype.  Previously they offered an SE version of the old split-fire plug with the ground electrode split into a Y shape at the firing end.  Also pure BS, as was the original version offered for autos.  An added bonus to both the split-fire and multiple electrode plugs is that some actually had part of the ground electrode break off and rattle around in the head.  Now the current version offers a fine wire center electrode and a modified split-fire design with tiny platinum nubs on each leg of the Y.  I assume they will eventually offer a Harley branded SE Pulstar plug for $30 apiece, and some folks will run right out to buy those as well.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:20:03 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 03:01:08 PM »

I remember those se plugs. I will admit to using the fine wire ones now. Stock cvo 110.
Also admit to trying se plugs for high compression with a 95 HTCC CNC build with woods 400g cams (650 lift). Fouled. Back to stock plugs after a dyno run.   
Will

donvito

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 09:40:23 AM »

The reason to keep your stock spark plugs is about Anti-knock sensing, if using the stock ECM. 
Aftermarket plugs disable that feature due to a different electronic resistance.

The Harley ECM only knows what the resistance of the stock plugs should be when it is running properly.
Then adjusts the timing, in the event of pre-ignition, knocking, pinging, detonation, or what ever you like to call it.
Heres the answer, period! You can stop reading the snake oil responses to convince yourselves there is something better. The platnium plugs came out in the auto industry only to achieve a 100k mile change interval.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 10:44:51 AM »

The only real advantage to the SE platinum tip plugs is longevity,

There is also a potential downside to that same longevity.  Once in an admittedly great while a plug will stick in a head leaving you with lost threads upon removal.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 11:43:13 AM »

Long time ago, when I believed the STP type hype, would switch brands on spark plugs from Champion to Bosch to whatever.  Some did seem to work better but that had as much or more than the engine tune as it did with the type plugs. 

The platinum plugs do last longer. Don't think they are worth the money.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.