Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: xm signal  (Read 2214 times)

vonh

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

xm signal
« on: May 31, 2016, 08:03:57 AM »

Does anybody experience poor XM signal on their bikes...  I have a '16 Limited where the signal fades in and out when compared to my personal vehicle.
I'm a couple of hundred miles away from my first dealer service and I thought I would throw this question out there.

fredfoot

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2015 Street Glide CVO
Re: xm signal
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 08:14:32 AM »

Yes. My signal cuts out every time I ride down a street with buildings on both sides, or under a row of low hanging trees. It just about makes having an XM radio useless. I wasn't sure if this was "normal" or not. I have ended up using my ipod almost all the time.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 08:46:47 AM »

Search for the other threads on the site dealing with this issue.  Try moving the XM antenna out of the fairing and into the open, just like the automotive folks do it.  Burying the antenna inside the fairing is a bad idea, especially when many aren't installed correctly and are shielded by the other metal in there. 

If your other vehicles pick up XM well in the same areas your Harley does not, that should tell you something.  It isn't an XM problem, it's a Harley problem.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 09:27:54 AM »

My understanding is antenna location and buffering time is less on the H D radio.
I'm thinking of an external antenna will help. If I find something that looks good I will post it
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 06:35:53 PM »

Mine works fine, have 2 GM's with XM and recently turned in my last company Ford with Sirius, Harley works as well as any of them. No complaints. I added XM to my 05 SEEG and then to my 09 SERG, I put the antenna's on both of them inside the fairings and they also worked great. I do hear people complain alot, most of them did not realize the signal was not like a normal radio signal and required line-of-sight.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 06:33:17 PM by CVODON »

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 07:15:22 PM »

I found that when riding my favorite roads, which are usually in the foothills/mountains and shaded by lots of trees that the ever important line of sight for the XM antenna is compromised by the terrain. This problem was made worse by the antenna location inside the fairing.

I relocated the XM antenna out of the fairing and placed it on top of the dash pad on my 11.5, that resulted in much improved reception. I still experience signal loss but it's much less and when i do its because of the terrain I enjoy riding in.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 07:17:13 PM by phato1 »
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 09:14:13 PM »

I also moved mine.....it is on top of the dash hidden by the windshield pouches. Works much better.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 07:11:16 AM »

Moved mine but it is still inside the fiberglass fairing. Just on top of the radio instead. Works much better.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 07:40:48 AM »

Mine works great in wide open spaces.  However in the twisty hilly greater smoky mountain area it cuts out lots, due to tree cover, and hill cover.  Cuts out in my car too in these areas just not as bad or as often.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 08:41:13 AM »

If the antenna can't see the satellite for more than a few seconds (most receivers buffer a certain amount of data to cover short intervals), then yes it's a normal situation for satellite radio.  But when someone's car has no problem driving in the same area that the bike does have a problem, that's what I'm calling a "Harley" problem, not an XM problem.

No matter what some say about how theirs works wonderfully, there are many more who have indicated theirs did not.  And there are some photo's around here somewhere showing the wonderful job done at the assembly plant burying the antenna instead of mounting it correctly.  So I stick by my earlier post; if people have an issue with XM in the same areas they do not have a problem with their cars, relocate the factory antenna outside the fairing (or at least above the radio chassis, not next to or under it) and there will be a definite difference.  As I've said many times before on this subject, if hiding the antenna in the dash was such a great idea, the automotive folks would have done it many years ago to save the money they spend running cables up to the roof mounted sat antenna.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Billdoe

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 11:03:49 AM »

If the antenna was mounted wrong on my Road Glide it could certainly be wrong on your scooter. This flat fixed my XM reception issues.                                                      http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=103029.msg1329914#msg1329914

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 20 queries.