Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guess where I went last week  (Read 1972 times)

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
Guess where I went last week
« on: June 06, 2016, 10:44:28 AM »

Hi All:

I managed to escape the rains and flooding in Texas for a week in Maggie Valley.  What a trip!

Thanks to all who have shared their experiences and advice about touring the Great Smokey Mountains area.  It was definitely a trip of a lifetime for me and I am grateful for all the members here who have shared their tips.

We managed to stay mostly dry with the *predictable* afternoon showers.  Moreover, we didn't have to deal with rain on the trip out or back!

My tips:

o Stay longer.  No matter how much time you have set aside, it won't be enough!   :orange:

o Get good quality rain gear.  I don't know what crap I had, but it is going in the bin.  I am convinced that waterproof riding gear is the way to go.  I am going to spend the bucks and get the protective/waterproof gear like the BMW guys wear.  I am tired of having to stop to put on another layer that makes you sweat and doesn't do anything to keep you dry.

o make sure your bike and tires are in top shape.  The area is remote and help may be hard to come by.

o If you are least bit unsure of your riding skills, give this one a pass until you are absolutely confident!

o Stay within the envelope!  I saw too may riders who (a) had no business riding these roads and (b) pushed too hard and got themselves in trouble.

o If you are lucky, have a back-seater take a ton of pictures!  You are going to be busy WATCHING THE BLOODY ROAD! Several riders (and cages) needed my lane too!

o You go where you are looking!  See previous 2 points. 

o Don't hesitate to slow down and give up the outside track.  Between a car/truck and motorcycle - the car/truck ALWAYS wins!

o Remember:  It's not a dang race!  Drive defensively.

Having said all that, the trip was uneventful and full of some of the best riding I have ever experienced coupled with incredible vistas, southern charm, hospitality and great people along the way.

Again, thanks to all the members here without whom I may have never heard of the area.  And to those going on the get together, sorry I missed you this time around. Have a great time and (as always) ride safe!

Kind Regards,

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Guess where I went last week
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 11:00:32 AM »

Great post!  Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 11:03:01 AM »

Good for you - The Smokie Mountains IS a fabulous riding area.
Post some pics when you get a chance.
RIDE ON.......

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 11:19:34 AM »

Was just there myself, Mark. it is pretty incredible there. We had a local friend show us around but not near enough time. Going from Deals Gap to Robinsville a HOG crossed the center line, came close to me but almost took out my Buddy behind me!! We did the Dragon early and wasn't bad for traffic and it was on a Tuesday. I recently bought FXRG jacket and pants, love'em. The jacket has 4 layers, so will break down to mesh jacket in the heat, works good and is for rain as well. I travel with just my wife and I a lot, so I bought a InReach satellite tracker. You can text from it and has SOS for emergency. Friends can track you as well. We were in lots of places without cell service. Lots of good advice from members on the site. They also mentioned a sat phone, which you can rent. Glad to hear you had a good trip, as I know mine was awesome.......cheers!!

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 11:20:33 AM »

I'm glad you enjoyed the Great Smokey Mountains  and Maggie Valley Mark. Now you can see why the Eastern CVO GTG is in it's 12 time there. Next June we are gathering in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas aka Eureka Springs for the CVO Harley NMITM 2017. If you have never been there it is a must visit area for a motorcycle enthusiast. And we will be heading back to MV for the 13th annual MV GTG.

See the attached links:
2017 National MITM GTG EVENT
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=105603.0

Mike
 :drink:

MIM National GTG 2017
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=103560.0

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 03:15:24 PM »

Allcon:

Thanks for all the posts.  And as requested, here are some pictures.  https://goo.gl/photos/etuzgTaHUUM3vwDu9

Thanks to screaminCVO for the lead on FXRG gear.  I'll be checking that out for sure.

I hope to attend one of the GTGs soon!  What a pleasure that would be.

Kind Regards,

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 03:19:43 AM »

Nice one Mark  :2vrolijk_21: Thanks for sharing!!

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 23 queries.