Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tall Boy Seat  (Read 4787 times)

Hog103cvo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

Tall Boy Seat
« on: April 07, 2016, 10:44:25 AM »

I'm on a 2016 Ltd and just cannot get comfortable. Have ordered tall boy footboard brackets,but wondering has anyone tried a tall boy seat. I know the pattern won't match the tour pack but i can live with that.

turn_key

Re: Tall Boy Seat
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 12:46:46 PM »

I'm 6'6 and 380lbs, and yes, I had one on my last ultra and loved it. I was moved back and sat lower and at a better angle for my back. I do have issues with the current CVO seat. I was going to update my other post but might as well do it here..

I took my seat to http://woodstockcustomleather.com in Woodstock IL and had Jan take some of the stock foam out and replace it with something that compresses a bit more. At the request of my wife I'm doing my best to keep the heated seat. I attached a video of the differences I saw on Harley's site, although not scientific, it is noticeable between the tallboy and the sunray which I believe is about as close as an example as I could find to the cvo saddle.

When I can put some miles on the modified seat I can give a better review, but it's been too cold, and I've been working too much lately. Hope this helps.

Hog103cvo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 11:15:21 PM »

Thank You. I'm hoping the Tall boys cycle kit will help. The stock Cvo seat looks cool but may have to go.

turn_key

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 01:33:14 AM »

Thank You. I'm hoping the Tall boys cycle kit will help. The stock Cvo seat looks cool but may have to go.

I'm trying to keep the seat but already broke it too my wife that if the modifications aren't enough I'm going back to the tallboy. As far as matching goes, yeah I'm a little OCD too. Harley makes a plain/smooth back rest that matches the tallboy... what's another few hundred matter after 40k...  :rolleyes4:

turn_key

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 12:09:04 PM »

Hog, I've been thinking about this for a few days now. I've been able to sit my fat ass on the bike and get some miles in. I think the seat can have a little more shaved off, and Jan at Woodstock Leather is willing to do what she can, but I think it will work out if modifying your seat is an option for you. Once the seat warmed up and it all compressed down, it's not as uncomfortable as before, so there is potential.

One of the other threads mentioned Alligator Bob in Illinois and I did speak with him. He's a nice guy, does great work, but would not reuse the stock cover and wanted to recover everything in leather after modifying the seat.

The other option I looked into is covering the cost of the tallboy seat, smooth backrest, and possibly the speaker pods, by selling the cvo setup. My parts guy printed up a quote for the cvo seat, rider backrest and mounting hardware, and passenger backrest; $2062.33 retail... the seat alone is $1879.12. I'd be happy selling all that for what I spend on the other stuff which I think is about $600.

food for thought

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited Gone
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Limited
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 05:57:43 AM »

I know this may be old business but just in case someone wants the info.. I had the same problem with my 2014 Limited. I solved it with a Mustang seat. Gave me a bit less padding in the seat but moved me back at least an inch. Also widened the seat for my wife and I moved the tour pack back about 3/4 of an inch to give both of us a bit more room. I tried the Tall Boy seat and it did little to help. Tall Boy seat been sitting in a bag on a shelf in garage for over a year..

I will say for me the new seat on my 2016 CVO is much better. Perhaps I'm shrinking or something but I do not seem to be as uncomfortable on this bike as i was on the 2014.

turn_key

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 12:01:41 PM »

I researched mustang and liked them, but didn't want to change the look. I had Jan at Woodstock leather just close the backrest opening and make it more like a tall boy seat. The backrest pushed me too far forward and it felt like I was sitting on the tank. This is what I ended up with:

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited Gone
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Limited
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 07:11:24 PM »

I researched mustang and liked them, but didn't want to change the look. I had Jan at Woodstock leather just close the backrest opening and make it more like a tall boy seat. The backrest pushed me too far forward and it felt like I was sitting on the tank. This is what I ended up with:

Roger that. And you keep the heating element good win i'd say . The Mustang seat can be had with a back rest which is further back but your wife may find it crowds her ( don't ask how i know).
Looks good.

TestmanIvy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 10:21:29 PM »

I put a Mustang Summit with heat on my Limited which moves you back 1 3/4 inch. Felt good not to be sitting on the tank and my legs aren't so cramped. I think the Mustang looks nicer than the Tall Boy which I used in my 2010 Limited from day 1.  CVO stock seat was comfortable but just not made for tall people with long legs.

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 22 queries.