Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Bad Paint  (Read 11880 times)

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
Bad Paint
« on: October 08, 2004, 12:05:19 PM »

My new FLHTCSE2 had chunks of silver basecoat missing on the tank lower pistripes at delivery, the larger upper stripes look like the silver base had been sanded through. The large silver stripe on the front fender had also been sanded through. These had all then been cleared over at the factory. You couldn't see this in certain lights but in others it really showed up. In addition on the top of the tank it looks like sombody sanded an area using just their two fingers instead of a sanding sponge, leaving an indentation where they sanded. On the rear fender the scotchguard plastic protective strip that protects against the seat rubbing the paint was placed too far forward, causing the seat to rub through the clear coat.
 The MOCO refused to replace the rear fender because it was in a "D" area. The dealer got the ok to order the front fender and gas tank. The new gas tank came in and looks good. The new front fender came in with a sag in the clearcoat at the bottom of the fender on the right side, and the underneath side looked like someone had attacked it with a screwdriver, (scratched all the way down to the metal). So now the dealer has ordered a third! front fender. My bike is the teal combination.
All of the plastic parts are perfect.  [smiley=nervous.gif]Has anybody else had paint problems?
MObe

Kingsalmon

• Senior CVO Member
  • HD gets too much of my money
Re: Bad Paint
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 01:01:13 PM »

Nothing like that. My complaint is the paint seems to be less durable that my 01 Ultra. Anything hits the paint and I get a scratch. I miss the key hole on the tour pack, I get a scratch down to primer, little rocks = little chips in the paint, I had 25000 miles on my ultra "jade pearl" paint with a couple of small chips but nothing like this bike with 6000 miles.
We me the quality of the work is fine, the material used is unsat.

I have the old "classic" 04 seeg Blue one.
CANNOT THINK OF ANOTHER BIKE I WOULD RATHER RIDE

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 01:10:48 PM »

Yeah, I love the bike, was a little stiff at first but at 2500 miles seems to be more compliant, or maybe I'm just getting used to it.
 I'm just amazed that the moco let a $30,000 bike out the door with this kind of quality control, especially in light of the fact that it is " assembled in a special area by specially trained technicians".  
 I have done some checking and apparently the moco farms out the paint work to an outside vendor.
 I am also disappointed that they won't replace the rear fender when the paint was damaged due to an obvious assembly error, even if it was in a "D" area.
 I guess I just expected more for that kind of money. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
MObe

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
  • Always Lookin fer sumtin but dunno what!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 04:16:52 PM »

From what I have been told, all the SE paint is farmed out, not done in house at York.  My paint was 99% intact on delivery except for a small spec of what appeard to be dirt in the clearcoat on the tank.  Did not complain since it was very minute.  Problem is after a few cleanings and wax jobs, dirt spot broke free and now I have a small chip in the clear, no more dirt but a chip where it used to be.  I purchased a king tour pak early on and the first one had paint defects on the lid.  Appeared like the black was put on too thin and in certain light you could see through it down to the undercoat.  MOCO did agree to replace the tour pak.  Good Luck!
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

mfgreen

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 04:27:20 PM »

From what I have been told, all the SE paint is farmed out, not done in house at York.  My paint was 99% intact on delivery except for a small spec of what appeard to be dirt in the clearcoat on the tank.  Did not complain since it was very minute.  Problem is after a few cleanings and wax jobs, dirt spot broke free and now I have a small chip in the clear, no more dirt but a chip where it used to be.  I purchased a king tour pak early on and the first one had paint defects on the lid.  Appeared like the black was put on too thin and in certain light you could see through it down to the undercoat.  MOCO did agree to replace the tour pak.  Good Luck!

Some paint is done at H-D MoCo Tomahawk, WI....some is done at Kaliber.

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 06:28:04 PM »

Took the bike in yesterday to have the replacement tank installed.  Came in to pick the bike up and the service manager said he had some bad news for me.  The tech that installed the tank didn't notice it until he was almost through with the install. The new tank has a chunk of some foreign substance under the clear coat on the top of the tank.

So now I am waiting on my third! gas tank.

I saw a guy this weekend who also has a teal bike. I told him about my paint problems and he showed me where on the front of his tank, two blobs of a foreign substance were cleared over.
 I guess quality contol is out the window in the moco's paint shop. [smiley=brood.gif]
MObe

smitty_01

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 02:53:28 AM »

Mobe,
All I have to say is that you must be blessed with a lot of patience.  For $30,000, you should be getting a flawless motorcycle.  I hope the third times a charm.  Good Luck!
Smitty

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 08:35:52 AM »

For what we pay for these limited edition bike this kind of stuff is unacceptable and you would think HD would care a little more.  Almost like going back to the days of AMF (can't believe I wrote that).
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

mfgreen

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 08:56:26 AM »

For what we pay for these limited edition bike this kind of stuff is unacceptable and you would think HD would care a little more.  Almost like going back to the days of AMF (can't believe I wrote that).

There seems to be a general lack of quality control to an acceptable level throughout the MoCo.  This is evident with the products that they produce as well as the ones that are outsourced.  Random sampling seems to work for some corporations and is proving to be unacceptable for H-D.  This problem cannot be overcome by having record sales and profits eaten up by warranty claims for faulty merchandise.  If the Japanese, Germans, Italians and British can manufacture motorcycles for less money, with less defects and anomalies when delivered; the MoCo needs to pay attention to the extremely broad customer base that they have.  Delivering substandard parts and motorcycles is not the way to maintain the crest of business that they are enjoying.  With so many problems that have appeared within the small number of folks that are on this site, are we to assume that since these CVO bikes are the best of the best that the rest of the bikes produced by the MoCo are even worse in terms of quality?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 01:20:15 PM »

Kinda sucks the fun right out of the ownership experience, doesn't it?  I agree you're showing the patience of a Saint.  I hope you get all these issues behind you soon so you can start enjoying what is otherwise an awesome bike.

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 09:26:20 AM »

This is making me sick to think about it.  I just got a new owner survey in the mail, and I let them have it.  I've had so many more problems with this CVO than I ever had with my 99 Road King.  Unbelieveable.  They better fix something, or I'll never be buying a new H-D again.

Loose_Goose

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 10:26:39 PM »

It is sad, the quality of these bikes is not acceptable.  For this much money you shouldn't have any problems at all.
12" HD 440s, Freedom pipes, Powercommander, detachable king tourpack, Fastaire 8" windshield, custom made Corbin heated seat and Hogtunes!

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 10:10:19 AM »

I just got a call from the service manager at the local dealer. The moco wants them to ship the 2nd fuel tank back to them so that they can determine if they want to replace it or just repair it. I said fine, just put the original tank back on and I'll ride the bike with that tank until they straighten this out. Service manager says no can do, they've already sent the first tank back.  Oh and this is the best part, they say that it will take from 5 to 12 weeks to get it back to me.  I asked if they expected me to do without my bike for the next 5 - 12 weeks while the moco gets its s#@* together. The service manager said it was out of his hands.  I have a call in to the owner of the dealership now, I'll keep you posted as this develops. [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] [smiley=worthless.gif]
MObe

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 12:24:05 PM »

That is the single most untenable "service" request I have ever heard.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 01:58:17 PM by twolanerider »

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 12:40:35 PM »

Thanks Twolanerider, I'll wait until I hear from Scott and go from there.
MObe
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.