Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Old Streetrod Is For Sale Again...  (Read 1501 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
My Old Streetrod Is For Sale Again...
« on: July 05, 2016, 11:41:47 AM »

First off I do NOT own this car, wished I hadn't sold it in the first place, but that's water under the bridge at this point.  :(

I built this car back in '00 and drove it 16k miles in just two Michigan summers.  It was a kick ass car from the get go.

I sold it and delivered it between Christmas and New Years in '01.

The second owner now has it back up for sale after owning it for 15 years.  New motor rebuild with just a few hundred miles.

If anyone is interested, click the link below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Willys-Coupe-/322180044159?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4b036d557f:g:Ud8AAOSwRQlXeTS5&item=322180044159

It looks just like it did when I sold it.  He's put about 7k miles on it in 15 years.

If you know of anyone interested, take a look.

Thanks.

Dan
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: My Old Streetrod Is For Sale Again...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 11:56:30 AM »

Nice looking car!

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 12:04:46 PM »

That would be great in my garage....
Bill

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 04:14:01 PM »

:-\

Well,  since you built it and ultimately were able to sell it,  you understand the "drill".   Maybe you did indeed get the kinda price you were after,  but I have serious doubt on the current owner getting anywhere near that asking price.

I have a '39 Chevy streetrod that I am wanting to sell.   I know what I have in it just as I'm sure you know what you had in yours.  It would take nearly twice my asking price to build one like mine from scratch.  But finding a buyer that understands all that and comes up with the cash.............is another whole story. :drink:

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 10:30:13 AM »

:-\

Well,  since you built it and ultimately were able to sell it,  you understand the "drill".   Maybe you did indeed get the kinda price you were after,  but I have serious doubt on the current owner getting anywhere near that asking price.

I have a '39 Chevy streetrod that I am wanting to sell.   I know what I have in it just as I'm sure you know what you had in yours.  It would take nearly twice my asking price to build one like mine from scratch.  But finding a buyer that understands all that and comes up with the cash.............is another whole story. :drink:

I sold my Willys at a somewhat bad time.  It was the winter just after 9-11.  I could have gotten more had I wanted to wait until spring.  Even then I got $65k in the middle of a Michigan winter.

There has been a resurgence of that type of car.  Hot Rod magazine has been pumping out article after article on gassers of late.  If you compare it with other Willys on eBay, you'll see most others are pro-streeted and as you know they handle very poorly and hydroplane at anything over about 30 mph in light rain.

I competed in Rod & Custom Magazine first Asphalt Ego Rama competition.  They asked for people to send in their car pics and then they would pic 75 to put in their mag to be voted on by the readers.  This was in 2001.  I was picked to be in the mag for voting.  As it turned out there were only 9 of us in the competition, one could not make it and getting a replacement was not possible.  George Poteet was in it with his Dave Lane built Lime Fire remake.  George won the event.

My wife and I left mid-Michigan with the trunk loaded and we took off for Bonneville Wendover UT.  We drove through Cheyenne and Laramie going out.  Over all we put 6300 miles on the Willys in 23 days.  It was a great adventure and a ton of fun.  George is a very nice southern gentleman.  Was not pretentious and we talked a lot over the next 8 days of traveling with the group.  I averaged about 11.5 mpg.

All in all I think Mike will get a good price.  He's already knocked it down to $79,995 so he's closer to a realistic price.  I would pay more for a non-pro-streeted car any day of the week.  This car actually has a trunk that can be used compared to the other Willys out there.

Good luck with your '39 Chevy sale.

I have a '76 FLH shovelhead for sale and I've done it in a style that I love.  Now the issue is to find that one person that loves it as much as I did when building it.  I don't have to sell it, but would like to have it ridden more and I could use the garage space.  So if it sells for my price, it's gone, but I'm not going to lower my price just to sell it.  The shovelhead market is WAY DOWN right now and original shovels are selling for $3k to $4k less that what I'm asking for mine, you can see why it may not sell...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 22 queries.