CVO Technical > Wheels/Tires/Suspension/Brakes

single front disc

(1/7) > >>

hogasm:
Installed a single 13" front disc from Performance Machine and their 6 piston caliper. Used the stock 11/16 bore master cylinder. Brake feels mushy.

What difference does the 9/16 bore have from the 11/16 bore master cylinder when used with a single disc and caliper?

Should I switch out the 11/16 for a 9/16 when using the single caliper?

Fired00d:
Which bike? No pictures? :nixweiss:

:worthless: :worthless:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Puzzled:

--- Quote from: hogasm on February 11, 2007, 09:57:23 AM ---Should I switch out the 11/16 for a 9/16 when using the single caliper?

--- End quote ---
Yes is the short answer.

I went the other way on a build and had similar results.

How do you feel you did on the bleeding of the brakes? Do you have a firm lever but a soft brake? (sounds all wrong! ;) ) I believe your moving the volume of fluid but it's pressure you after which the larger bore MC isn't giving you. Than again I could be wrong. :)

Hoist!:
You need the single caliper master (9/16") for proper operation. As puzzled stated, you won't get the right pressure. I had a caliper go bad on a '95 Dyna and plugged one port of the Ness brakeline tee before I fixed it. The brake feel and response was definitely noticibly worse. That was enough proof for me. I run a single caliper master on a single 4-piston differential bore PM front brake on my Pro Street. Brakes are great. No problem whatsoever! ;) Hoist! 8)

crshnbrn:

--- Quote from: hogasm on February 11, 2007, 09:57:23 AM ---Installed a single 13" front disc from Performance Machine and their 6 piston caliper. Used the stock 11/16 bore master cylinder. Brake feels mushy.

What difference does the 9/16 bore have from the 11/16 bore master cylinder when used with a single disc and caliper?

Should I switch out the 11/16 for a 9/16 when using the single caliper?

--- End quote ---

I have ridden a few touring bikes where the right front caliper has been removed to show more of a custom front wheel, and the original 11/16" bore front master cylinder was retained.  There was very little lever movement before the brake began to apply because the master cylinder was displacing enough fluid for two calipers, but it took more lever effort once the brake did apply.  Your front brake lever should have less travel now that you have only one caliper.  It definitely should not be mushy.

"He who has no brakes will stop at nothing." 
 - words of wisdom seen scrawled in the salt-spray-covered back door of a semi trailer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version