Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: single front disc  (Read 8318 times)

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
Re: single front disc
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2007, 04:27:15 AM »

Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2007, 08:57:57 AM »

S...can't say this for certain, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet that it's not a brake fluid issue, but that you are running stock brake pads and calipers.  The pads that come on our bikes are some of the cheapest, low bid products HD can find.  Add to that the calipers, and when the pads get heated up, along with your standard calipers and rotors, your brakes suddenly become even less effective.

If you want to see more wheel on front, go to an 18"...Metz makes a 140/70x18 front that is rated very close to stock load ratings....within 40lbs.  Overall diameter of wheel/tire is within 1/2" of your stock tire/wheel.  That, and more open, floating rotors will let you see more wheel.

JMO
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2007, 12:55:54 PM »

Help me out here guys.. I am working on a brake up grade,,, Thought about a single disc for the flashy look but am concerned about performance. Right now my twin disc is not keeping up, lots of brake fade. Hoist rides hard as I do. If you went with a larger diameter rotor would it compensate for the loss of the other disc? Keep in mind I am 250 and ride with my FLHTCUI loaded.

I understand that a larger rotor is like having a longer prybar, more leverage. But how does it equate from 2 short to 1 long?

Thanks....

BTW my name is Steven

No way would I give up dual front brakes for a single larger rotor set-up! I'm researching which calipers to use, but I'm retaining the 11.5" rotors. I like the SERK rotors and believe the calipers/pads make the biggest difference. I have HD brakes on my other bikes and have had numerous rear wheel lock-ups, fading brakes, etc. I have PM's on my Pro Street, PM diff bore 4 piston front & 4 piston PM on rear. Night and day. My '85 4-speed has single HD brakes. I have to be much more careful on that bike! I like the 4-pad Brembo idea, but only if they make itfor 11.5 in rotors. Brakes are very important to my riding style. Every aspect of performance is essential to my riding style and looks always take a back seat!!! I have OPD not OCD! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.