Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trip to the NW  (Read 1494 times)

Gkup

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 Street Glide
Trip to the NW
« on: August 27, 2016, 09:05:50 AM »

Well we are nine days in to our trip from Iowa to California. The route has been totally awesome. We beat tail down I-80 to Cheyenne and then headed South to North thru Idaho. The sawtooth mountains were spectacular. We experienced major forest fires for the first time. Though it really damages the forest and cost millions of dollars to contain. It's natures way and is something to see. We stayed in Couer D Alene at the Couer D Lane resort. A bit pricey but after the miles it was a well deserved treat.
The Cascade Range in Washington should be a must ride for you all. Unbelievable views and fast twisty roads. Clyde the IV really handled them well. We took a ferry to Port Townsend and spent the night. Pretty neat little harbor town. From there we went to Neah Bay which is an Indian Resevation. My guess is this was the further east distance from home we will see. BC Canada is right across the bay. We bought about 3 lbs of smoked salmon from the Indians, supposedly it is the best in the State of Washington. I have to admit it is as good as I have ever eaten. We bought a few cold beers at the exit of the Reservation and sat on a log on the beach and had some for lunch. Catching the PCH 101 South of Neah we began the journey South. twisty roads and Ocean views we simply incredible. The next wave point was Astoria Oregon where the movie Goonies was filmed. As we came in to town across the bay there were hundreds of fishing boats trolling the bay for salmon. A local gave us the skinny, 1 Co Ho and 1 Siver is you limit but they can get pretty big. Average size is around 22 pounds. Astoria is a neat little town but the Goonies thing was disappointing. Seems the house is owned by someone who lives there and are really tired of idiots like us I vading their privacy. I can understand that.
We left Astoria and stayed on PCH 101 to Tillamook. We met a couple of Marines that were just completing a bicycle ride from Virginia to California. The recommended staying in the Town of Netart Oregon. Best advice we have gotten on the trip. We were fortunate to get a condo right on the beach. I could spend the rest of my life here. Leave it to the Marines to know the good places to stay. The temperature dropped so much after sunset that we built a fire in the fireplace.
Today we continue the Southern ride and will likely get as far as Southern Oregon. No official decision on that yet. It's one day at a time with no plan or destination in mind. Just 4 old guys that dig riding Harley around this Beautiful Country.
"This Land is my Land, This Land is Your Land"

Gkup

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

Re: Trip to the NW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 09:18:54 AM »

Keep us apprised.   :worthless:
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 09:22:20 AM »

Great ride report!  But you've been a member here for awhile.....you know rule #1.... if you don't have pictures it didn't really happen....

:worthless: :worthless: :worthless:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Gkup

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 Street Glide
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 08:14:43 AM »

I haven't quite figure out how to post pictures. I have hundreds of pictures on my phone but.......

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 09:32:07 AM »

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 22 queries.