Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 08 bad abs module  (Read 7411 times)

Rocco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

08 bad abs module
« on: September 08, 2016, 07:26:18 PM »

bike has 10,000k on it rear brake is hard a hell non effective.i can stand on it its all my force and get it to work, shut off bike and again hard pedal.dealer told me abs module was bad. 800 for part and 300 for labor. :'(  found one on eBay from a 14 for 100  Will it work?  Any help would be great thanks again Rocco.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: 08 bad abs module
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 09:55:05 PM »

40688-08 is the part number for your module.  they changed it to 48343-09 in 2009, and again in 2014.

just got done having the module on the wife's 2012 replaced, if she didn't have the esp, it would have been over $1200. 

good luck
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 12:57:08 PM »

I had the one on my 09 go bad. They billed me for $562.00. Module, labor to install & bleed, brake fluid and shop charge. This was 3 years ago but I still remember the hard pedal and grip pressure. I tried to find the reciept but chucked them when I traded and the new owner didn't want them.
$1200 is sure a lot more.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 01:48:15 PM »

to be fair, that also included a rear master cylinder.

I was on esp, so only $50 out of pocket.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 01:56:10 PM »

In 2008 they had one part number that combined the controller circuitry with the pump and valves, and it had an MSRP of $800.  Later they came up with separate units for each function with their own part numbers, so if one component was bad you only had to replace that one, not both.  If you dealt with a good shop that did the proper diagnosis and only replaced the part that was bad, the bill would be less versus those places that just replaced both parts.  In 2014 they came out with the linked ABS system, and the ABS unit is entirely different.  To answer the OP's question, the 2014 unit isn't a valid replacement for your 2008.  As best I can tell the 2008 part number is obsolete, so you would need to go with the parts listed for the 2009-2013 models.

2008 Model:                   40688-08  KIT, ABS UNIT         MSRP   $800.00
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009 – 2013 Models:      48343-09  MODULATOR ASSEMBLY HYDRAULIC, ABS UNIT   MSRP   $372.71
                                    40649-08  CONTROLLER ELECTRONIC, ABS UNIT      MSRP   $481.73
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014– 2016  Models:      41100013A   ABS MODULE (EHCU)   MSRP   $713.73
2017 Model:                  41100061  ABS MODULE ELECTRO HYDRAULIC CONTROL UNIT (EHCU)    MSRP ??

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rocco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 05:37:39 PM »

thanks for the replys and part #. It probably is a crap shoot with used? Any idea where i might be able to get a better price than msrp?
Thank you all for your help.  Rocco

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 07:02:28 PM »

glad i special ordered my 08/105 anniv  without the abs system
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 07:56:20 PM »

thanks for the replys and part #. It probably is a crap shoot with used? Any idea where i might be able to get a better price than msrp?
Thank you all for your help.  Rocco

I tried to put those numbers into the Surdyke website (discount dealership), and all three numbers I listed for the 2008 - 2013 bikes came back as not available.  It looks like you're going to have to contact a dealership and get them to figure out what has superceded not only your original part number, but the ones that were listed for 2009-2013 models.  This is strange, usually the parts list I used updates obsolete numbers automatically but for whatever reason none of these showed an update. 

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rocco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 08:57:17 PM »

Thank you for your help. I just got back from a nice 30 mile ride.Brake acted up one time when i stopped for gas.I started it up and hard pedal!!
put my weight into it and it worked  all the way home. I have read about cleaning module? i know i'm reaching! Or do i need a module? Thank you again.   Rocco 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 09:01:54 PM »

You can do the replacement at home if you're willing to buy a tool.  Daytona Twin Tec's ABS version of their scan tool lets you do some diagnostics, monitoring and ABS service.  It's not cheap but if you score an inexpensive (compared to new) used ABS pump/module on eBay you could still be money ahead by a good chunk of change.

Rocco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 09:20:51 PM »

Thank you for your reply. Are all of these modules prone? I don't know what dealer did to diagnose you can't see behind closed doors. They charged me a hour's labor and told me it need a module.I told them that the master cap was leaking and went dry and i wanted them to bleed the brakes. They told me there was no need with a hard pedal! Im just trying to cover all my basis. Im not to pleased with killer creek harley service. 
What should i do?

Rocco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 09:42:51 PM »

Is it posible,there could be air in the system? Or are they right that with a hard pedal there is no need bleeding? It works fine if i force the pedal down! Then shut bike off, and it has a hard pedal again. Thanks for the help.  Rocco

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 11:44:37 PM »

Is it posible,there could be air in the system? Or are they right that with a hard pedal there is no need bleeding? It works fine if i force the pedal down! Then shut bike off, and it has a hard pedal again. Thanks for the help.  Rocco

Have now seen two bikes with the super hard pedal. That's not air.  Air would make a soft pedal. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 11:58:18 PM »

2014 with linked brakes is a different pump/module than the earlier ABS bikes without linked brakes.  Here's the least expensive one I just found that should be correct for you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381764752134

You'll also need one of these to be able to change the part at home.  Very handy diagnostics tool that will run the bleeding process for an ABS bike.  Not cheap but it the module are still a lot less than you'd pay at the dealership to get the module changes; and now you'd own the tool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191483743057

Rocco

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 10:39:20 AM »

Thank you very much. I will go this route. Really appreciate you making it that easy.
Again thank you.    Rocco

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 05:25:58 PM »

Have now seen two bikes with the super hard pedal. That's not air.  Air would make a soft pedal.

you might as well call it three.  my wife had the super hard rear pedal on her bike.  happened while we were on a road trip no less.  we stopped at a dealer and had the rear brakes bled and flushed and it helped a little bit.  and only for a little while.  it got to the point where you hit the rear brake and nothing happened.  you pressed harder and harder until wham, the abs would engage.  nothing in between.

in the end, we ended up with a new abs module and rear master cylinder (thanks esp  :2vrolijk_21:)  over half paid for and still have 4 more years of coverage.

works good now :D

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 08:17:49 PM »

Out of all the cars I know of (friends, fleets, whatever) and all the miles they drive I know of less ABS module/pump failures across them all than I do of failures in the small sample size and low mileage example of the ABS equipped Harley bikes.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 10:20:26 PM »

Out of all the cars I know of (friends, fleets, whatever) and all the miles they drive I know of less ABS module/pump failures across them all than I do of failures in the small sample size and low mileage example of the ABS equipped Harley bikes.

Exactly!  ABS failures in the automotive arena tend to be related to wheel sensors and tone rings.  Since those are components that are constantly exposed to road hazards, road salt, and other nasty stuff, some failures are expected.  However, when those parts fail it does not affect normal operation of the brakes, it just disables the ABS itself and the driver receives a warning.  On the other hand, many of the Harley failures have been due to the ABS pump and valve assembly seizing up, and thanks to poor design a failure of that component can result in loss of braking on one or both ends of the bike.  That's why a bunch of folks have a class action lawsuit going against H-D right now. 

ABS is a very old technology, and it should have been a piece of cake for Harley to add it to their bikes in 2008.  But just like with many other pieces of technology they borrowed from the auto industry, Harley found a way to screw it up.  And the best part is that they always play dumb when the failures start, then try to find a way to blame the customers.  In the ABS case they've decided to blame the customers for not changing brake fluid every two years, which they claim causes the problem with seized valves in the ABS system.  As I've noted before, it's rather strange that Harley can't come up with a pump and valve combination that won't fail unless you change fluid every two years, but somehow the auto industry doesn't have that problem and most cars and trucks rarely if ever have full fluid changes performed. 

Jerry

Stevepow

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 09:19:35 AM »

Just had to replace ABS module on 2009 CVO Roadglide with 50k on it. Moisture in the brake fluid i was told. What concerns me is there was no indication (light) that the module failed. Stepped on the rear brake right after starting up and moving up the driveway and the pedal was hard like something was binding. Got stopped halfway out into the street. Be careful out there!

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 07:53:48 AM »

For anyone that has their ABS module go bad out of warranty and has a dealership replace the module please request the old parts, insist on it as a matter of fact. Like stated earlier, losing braking function due to parts failure of this nature is unacceptable.

Ride Safely

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 21 queries.