Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: VP 92 T  (Read 26541 times)

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

Re: VP 92 T
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2007, 12:50:23 PM »

We have tried them on several of our kits and no longer use them. We install the primo pro clutch and forget about clutch problems. Have the bike dynoed again and then you will know if you have slippage. Seat of the pants will not tell you the whole story. If you feel it slipping then it is bad, we where getting 2-3% slippage with the monster VPC, with ramps, heavy spring. And by that time the pull was heavy on the lever. The primo is more money but not by much after you use the previous parts,  the lever pull on the Primo is very light and it will not slip. Same clutch pack is used in the open systems. I make 159/163 and there is no slipping. At the track I leave at 3800 in 2nd gear no issues. I have adjsted it a few times over the last two years. It does not wear like a stocker.  A VPC works with RPM so you are still working with the small amount of disc surface, and cheap discs from HD. Not the deal with a Primo.

I have other customers who like them but one thing you have to look at is how the engine makes power, as you have many items that can effect how well it will work. They are working with rather mild builds.

We have plenty of customers try the heavy disc first them they will go to the VPC in the end I get a call as they are done messing with it and buy the primo. This is just my opinion , it is based on the amount of builds we do.  Not bashing the VPC but I do not think it is the end all be all. I have removed two many of them for slippage, some was after getting a few thousands miles on the set up. Riding style is going to play a role here as well.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 12:59:56 PM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2007, 01:20:55 PM »

Hoist,

Hippo VPC.  He is in Mesa AZ.

480-733-7748

Unfortuntely, this number is either not correct or has been disconnected. Is he still around? Anyone have the new or correct number? Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2007, 01:23:27 PM »

nope same number I have.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2007, 01:28:49 PM »

nope same number I have.

Thanks Steve. I'll see if he responds to my email. Hey geezerglide, if you see this, do you have anything to offer about reaching Hippo? Thanks. Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2007, 01:29:33 PM »

Uh oh, Chuck's reading this. He might catch on. Shhh! ;) Hoist! 8)

:oops: Busted. Can't sneak anything past you.  :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2007, 01:31:03 PM »

:oops: Busted. Can't sneak anything past you.  :2vrolijk_21:

Gotta keep a step ahead if you want to stay up front! ;) Hoist! 8)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2007, 01:32:41 PM »

Gotta keep a step ahead if you want to stay up front! ;) Hoist! 8)

WIth everything you've got planned, the only way for me to keep in front of you is to keep you lost without your map.  ;D

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2007, 07:18:06 PM »

We have tried them on several of our kits and no longer use them. We install the primo pro clutch and forget about clutch problems. Have the bike dynoed again and then you will know if you have slippage. Seat of the pants will not tell you the whole story. If you feel it slipping then it is bad, we where getting 2-3% slippage with the monster VPC, with ramps, heavy spring. And by that time the pull was heavy on the lever. The primo is more money but not by much after you use the previous parts,  the lever pull on the Primo is very light and it will not slip. Same clutch pack is used in the open systems. I make 159/163 and there is no slipping. At the track I leave at 3800 in 2nd gear no issues. I have adjsted it a few times over the last two years. It does not wear like a stocker.  A VPC works with RPM so you are still working with the small amount of disc surface, and cheap discs from HD. Not the deal with a Primo.

I have other customers who like them but one thing you have to look at is how the engine makes power, as you have many items that can effect how well it will work. They are working with rather mild builds.

We have plenty of customers try the heavy disc first them they will go to the VPC in the end I get a call as they are done messing with it and buy the primo. This is just my opinion , it is based on the amount of builds we do.  Not bashing the VPC but I do not think it is the end all be all. I have removed two many of them for slippage, some was after getting a few thousands miles on the set up. Riding style is going to play a role here as well.

AIM also offers a complete clutch setup.  I have been running one in my '07 120" build for 5k miles now and I'm quite satisfied with the performance.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 07:22:21 PM by hdfr120 »
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2007, 10:06:53 PM »

This type of setup has been used in cars for some time, basically allows lighter spring pressure, or in some cases a smaller lighter clutch, the weighted cams kick in as the rmp's increase the pressure on the clutch pack. Works well in cars, I have never tried this unit, but am planning on using it once I get a little more HP in my bike.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2007, 10:10:01 AM »

Hey gang, Hippo responded to the email. This is his email address. hippovpc@gmail.com He is still getting these VPC's. I ordered the VP92T for '07 SERK, 274.20 delivered. There appears to be no discount available, so I just ordered one anyway. For my build, he suggested using the SE spring, which is stock on the '07 SE's. According to the table, it's supposed to be 7% less clutch effort. I doubt you'll feel that, but as long as this thing keeps the clutch from slipping, I'll be happy. ;) Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 10:37:29 AM by Hoist »

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2007, 10:13:37 AM »

Hey gang, Hippo responded to the email. This is his email address. hippovpc@gmail.com He is still getting these VPC's. I ordered the VP92T for '07 SERK, 274.20 delivered. For my build, he suggested using the SE spring, which is stock on the '07 SE's. According to the table, it's supposed to be 7% less clutch effort. I doubt you'll feel that, but as long as this thing keeps the clutch from slipping, I'll be happy. ;) Hoist! 8)

Howie,

You bring up a point, the clutch effort. I can understand that at idle, the clutch pull is reduced. Does the clutch effort increase as RPMs increase?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2007, 10:22:49 AM »

Howie,

You bring up a point, the clutch effort. I can understand that at idle, the clutch pull is reduced. Does the clutch effort increase as RPMs increase?

According to the table and curve that Harry posted above, it follows the same load curve as stock, just in the reduced or increased amount, based on the spring you use, and the values shown in the table for those springs. For my application it shows 7% less lever effort. That would follow the curve throughout the RPM range according to the info above, the best I can tell. Hoist! 8)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2007, 10:26:42 AM »

According to the table and curve that Harry posted above, it follows the same load curve as stock, just in the reduced or increased amount, based on the spring you use, and the values shown in the table for those springs. For my application it shows 7% less lever effort. That would follow the curve throughout the RPM range according to the info above, the best I can tell. Hoist! 8)

I just checked out the table and found this little gem at the bottom:

(4) Clutch pull becomes heavier as RPM increases.

I wonder how much stiffer it becomes, say at 5,000 rpm?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2007, 10:29:50 AM »

I just checked out the table and found this little gem at the bottom:

I wonder how much stiffer it becomes, say at 5,000 rpm?

Missed that, but I'm not expecting (hoping for) much change at all with the stock spring. Hoist! 8)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2007, 10:34:29 AM »

Missed that, but I'm not expecting (hoping for) much change at all with the stock spring. Hoist! 8)

I would think a 50% increase in clamping pressure would require a 50% increase in clutch effort. One is fighting the other, so I think it's got to work 1 to 1.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.601 seconds with 22 queries.