Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Who here has SPOs?  (Read 5862 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Who here has SPOs?
« on: February 14, 2007, 03:17:49 PM »

I like the sound, I'm okay with the looks, but I do not like dragging them in corners. Has anyone else dragged their SPOs yet?

I was out running errands and took a freeway on ramp. As I pressed and leaned the bike in, I heard the left muffler scrape. I uprighted and pressed again, and it scraped again. I knew it was the muffler because I am used to hearing the jiffystand, the floorboards, and on occasion the Rivco Center Stand drag from time to time. Sure enough when I got to my destination, I felt under the left muffler and it was scraped.

My Ultra is not lowered and has the stock shocks, and stock tires and wheels, so the ground clearance should be "factory".
Now I'm thinking of getting ANOTHER set of mufflers but don't know what other mufflers are as quiet and as well performing as the SPOs.

Suggestions are welcome.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Who here has SPOs?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 03:41:07 PM »

I have SPOs on my 2006 Ultra but only have a couple of hundred miles on them so far. I have not had a problem with ground clearance but I don't ride that aggressively either so I can't offer much in test results for you sorry.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 03:58:35 PM »

I like the sound, I'm okay with the looks, but I do not like dragging them in corners. Has anyone else dragged their SPOs yet?

I was out running errands and took a freeway on ramp. As I pressed and leaned the bike in, I heard the left muffler scrape. I uprighted and pressed again, and it scraped again. I knew it was the muffler because I am used to hearing the jiffystand, the floorboards, and on occasion the Rivco Center Stand drag from time to time. Sure enough when I got to my destination, I felt under the left muffler and it was scraped.

My Ultra is not lowered and has the stock shocks, and stock tires and wheels, so the ground clearance should be "factory".
Now I'm thinking of getting ANOTHER set of mufflers but don't know what other mufflers are as quiet and as well performing as the SPOs.

Suggestions are welcome.

Mark

Mark, I just ordered some Supertrapp magaphone tuneable disk mufflers from M&M.  I really like the CVO fullsac conversionsthat I'm running now, but I'm still looking for something quieter. I just couldn't handle the looks of the SPO's.  The ST weren't my favorite either for looks, but the ability to adjust for sound helped me decide.  I was happy with the Bassanni's that I had been running, but ever since I've switched to a full face helmet, it has changed the sounds that I hear. I should have them by the weekend for a test.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 06:39:07 PM »

Suggestions are welcome.

Mark

Mark,
Turn the radio up and you won't hear the scraping ;).  Just kidding.  I've been planning on using the SPOs when (and if  >:( -Damn strike!) I get my B&O Jester.  Hoist has his SPOs, but I don't know if the weather up in the Big Apple has cooperated enough for him to get them on his SERK.  He'll probably be interested in hearing this, because if I'm not mistaken, the SERK is lowered - right, Howie?
Anyway, this is disturbing news.  Now what do I do to get a bit more umph, but still be able to hear when I get off the bike after a day's ride?? :confused5:
TC

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 06:48:45 PM »

Mark,
Turn the radio up and you won't hear the scraping ;).  Just kidding.  I've been planning on using the SPOs when (and if  >:( -Damn strike!) I get my B&O Jester.  Hoist has his SPOs, but I don't know if the weather up in the Big Apple has cooperated enough for him to get them on his SERK.  He'll probably be interested in hearing this, because if I'm not mistaken, the SERK is lowered - right, Howie?
Anyway, this is disturbing news.  Now what do I do to get a bit more umph, but still be able to hear when I get off the bike after a day's ride?? :confused5:
TC

Just caught this Tony. Well, I'm glad they're Stainless Steel! Good thing they're trying to slow down the Dragon, huh? ::) I hope it's not too much of an issue. I like the sound of them. The weather sucks here. I've ridden my new bike exactly twice! >:( Tuesday is supposed to be 40 deg. Yippee! Dyno day! (and PC, and SPO's, and PP w/PV, and True-Track and SS gas lines...!) I'll let you know and of course...the pics! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 08:44:01 PM »

I was surprised to hear the SPOs scrape, but maybe that was not so unexpected considering how I have my bike set up.
Although my floorboards are pushed out a bit, they are raised as high up as they will go, and I still drag them from time to time along with the jiffy stand.

I never considered myself an aggresive rider, but maybe I am.

I'll keep 'em for now and see how it goes.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 04:32:41 PM »

Well I finally broke down and got a digital camera.
(Cannon PowerShot A630) These are the first photos from it and I wanted to show my SPOs at different angles so you all can see the amount of clearance with these pipes and stock headers.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 04:34:05 PM »

This shot makes them look low but it's not.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 04:35:18 PM »

Here is a low angle shot to show how they are tucked under the bags.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 05:02:55 PM »

My impression is that they don't come down as low as the 4" stock ones. But because of the wide shape, the outside bottom of the muffler, is closer to the ground when cornering. Can't see it being a restriction to handling. A little clearancing, as dj calls it, might be required though! I guess I'll find out soon! ;) Hoist!

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 07:23:22 PM »

My impression is that they don't come down as low as the 4" stock ones. But because of the wide shape, the outside bottom of the muffler, is closer to the ground when cornering. Can't see it being a restriction to handling. A little clearancing, as dj calls it, might be required though! I guess I'll find out soon! ;) Hoist!
Howie,
I'm not sure "this old guy" will ever get enough lean angle to scrape those things ;).  They really don't look much different (meaning lower) than the V&H ovals I had on my '03 for awhile.  I'm still waiting to "hear" your report on yours.  Looks like the weather may cooperate a bit this week.  Good Luck.
Tony

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 07:34:40 PM »

Howie,
I'm not sure "this old guy" will ever get enough lean angle to scrape those things ;).  They really don't look much different (meaning lower) than the V&H ovals I had on my '03 for awhile.  I'm still waiting to "hear" your report on yours.  Looks like the weather may cooperate a bit this week.  Good Luck.
Tony

Hey Tony, it's strarting to warm up slightly. Still have a couple of inches of ice in front of the house. The streets are fine though. The work's tentative for Thurs/Fri now. If it's not raining, I'll do it then. Otherwiswe, it's next week again. You know I'll report when I'm done! It's not like I'm riding without 'em, I'm just not riding! :( Looks like you're getting a bike, huh? :2vrolijk_21: Hoist! 8)

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 07:38:06 PM »

Hey Tony, it's strarting to warm up slightly. Still have a couple of inches of ice in front of the house. The streets are fine though. The work's tentative for Thurs/Fri now. If it's not raining, I'll do it then. Otherwiswe, it's next week again. You know I'll report when I'm done! It's not like I'm riding without 'em, I'm just not riding! :( Looks like you're getting a bike, huh? :2vrolijk_21: Hoist! 8)
Howie,
I'm guessing late March or early April.  That works out fine.  Hand surgery in a couple of weeks, so that should give me plenty of recovery time.  Hope the weather works for you.  Know you're anxious to get going with the mods.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Tony

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 02:44:46 AM »

But because of the wide shape, the outside bottom of the muffler, is closer to the ground when cornering.

And that's just where it is dragging in the curves.

This weekend I am going to lay the whole bike down on some rubber floor padding in the garage to see if the mufflers touch the ground before the rear crash bar does. Part of the Ride Like a Pro instruction course that I teach includes a demonstration of the proper technique for picking up a downed dresser. I don't want to find out the hard way during an in class demo when the muffler get crushed.

There has GOT to be another muffler on the market that is just as quiet, stays quiet, and flows just as well as the SPOs.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 08:34:42 AM »

And that's just where it is dragging in the curves.

This weekend I am going to lay the whole bike down on some rubber floor padding in the garage to see if the mufflers touch the ground before the rear crash bar does. Part of the Ride Like a Pro instruction course that I teach includes a demonstration of the proper technique for picking up a downed dresser. I don't want to find out the hard way during an in class demo when the muffler get crushed.

There has GOT to be another muffler on the market that is just as quiet, stays quiet, and flows just as well as the SPOs.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of one! I hope the scraping is not overly annoying. Hoist! 8)

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 22 queries.