Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: M8  (Read 6650 times)

Singlebeam

• Singlebeam
  • Full CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2008 Fxstsse2 Screamin Eagle Softail Springer (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2008 Flhtcuse3 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2013 Fltrxse2 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Custom (traded for 17 SESG)
M8
« on: October 27, 2016, 06:08:09 PM »

Well I have a 2017 CVO Street Glide and I have had it for one week today. So far I am very pleased with the bike. It is extremely different from any bike I have ever owned. It feels foreign to me. Like riding a gold wing or something...LOL...It's still bone stock with very low miles but I am impressed with it for the most part. Maybe the quietness of it has something to do with the foreign feeling. I love the throttle response/torque. I am 6'-3" and weigh 300#'s. It moves down the road with such ease. Passing cars is a mere twist of the throttle. I don't mean wide open throttle, just turn it a little more and she's gone. The radio is hands down 100% better than the one on the 13 CVO I had. The ride is better but with all the hype from moco about the new suspension I was expecting more. It's still not the ride I would like. If the bike pans out with no mechanical issues then I will keep it. After I get some trouble free miles on it I will start to modify it to my liking. The handle bars have got to go. I need taller bars. The rear shocks will be replaced with Ohlins. Hopefully that will fix the ride problem. Part of the ride problem is the hard tires, IMHO. They will last a lot of miles but you feel those miles with every bump. I will be getting softer tires when these need replacing. I will get less miles but the ride will be better. I am not sure that I will do anything other than a stage one maybe. I don't need loud, it runs fine as is, plus it will be less trouble in the long run with out worrying about a tuner/dyno/hp/tq/pipes/mufflers, etc. It will be my old man bike.....
1957 hardtail w/shovelhead engine
1950 Panhead

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: M8
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 06:19:54 PM »

Did you check the cold air pressure in your tires?

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Singlebeam

• Singlebeam
  • Full CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 06:58:11 PM »

Did you check the cold air pressure in your tires?

No but they the max. air pressure in them. I am not a fan of running low air pressure in tires even though it will help the ride to a degree. The tires are very hard and that's a lot of the problem.
2017 CVO Street Glide
2012 Heritage Softail
1950 Panhead

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 01:27:57 PM »

You don't really have but a few options on tires unless you change the wheel size, if you have any

BigLew

Singlebeam

• Singlebeam
  • Full CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 08:41:12 AM »

Done my first oil change yesterday. Got 1130 miles on her. No problems with her to date, still got my fingers crossed...LOL...Hope this new engine works out. I have also got to get those handle bars changed out.  Just too low for me. Other than that it's been a real pleasure. I do find myself exceeding the speed limit quite often though. Just so smooth you don't realize how fast you are going.
2017 CVO Street Glide
2012 Heritage Softail
1950 Panhead

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 10:13:19 AM »

Sounds good so far!

BigLew

Racerdj

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2015 FLHXSE

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 10:32:28 AM »

Thanks for the report and good luck with the bike.
Harley addict here looking for 'The Cure'

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 06:13:07 PM »

Sounds good - hope your many miles puts a smile on your face.
RIDE ON.....

Raptor

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 03 SE Deuce (Gold), 09 SERG (Orange)
    • CVO2: 11.5 SEUC (Blue), CVO4: 12 SESG (Hot C.)
    • CVO3: 14 FLHTK PO, 17 FLHXS
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 10:34:54 PM »

Well I have a 2017 CVO Street Glide and I have had it for one week today. So far I am very pleased with the bike. It is extremely different from any bike I have ever owned. It feels foreign to me. Like riding a gold wing or something...LOL...It's still bone stock with very low miles but I am impressed with it for the most part. Maybe the quietness of it has something to do with the foreign feeling. I love the throttle response/torque. I am 6'-3" and weigh 300#'s. It moves down the road with such ease. Passing cars is a mere twist of the throttle. I don't mean wide open throttle, just turn it a little more and she's gone. The radio is hands down 100% better than the one on the 13 CVO I had. The ride is better but with all the hype from moco about the new suspension I was expecting more. It's still not the ride I would like. If the bike pans out with no mechanical issues then I will keep it. After I get some trouble free miles on it I will start to modify it to my liking. The handle bars have got to go. I need taller bars. The rear shocks will be replaced with Ohlins. Hopefully that will fix the ride problem. Part of the ride problem is the hard tires, IMHO. They will last a lot of miles but you feel those miles with every bump. I will be getting softer tires when these need replacing. I will get less miles but the ride will be better. I am not sure that I will do anything other than a stage one maybe. I don't need loud, it runs fine as is, plus it will be less trouble in the long run with out worrying about a tuner/dyno/hp/tq/pipes/mufflers, etc. It will be my old man bike.....

Are the Ohlins really that much better, I've never purchased them or ridden a bike with them????
I don't care if I die with the most toys....  I just want to play with as many as I can before I go!

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 05:46:46 AM »

Are the Ohlins really that much better, I've never purchased them or ridden a bike with them????

In a word..... YES
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 08:27:38 AM »

I think they are.  Hated the air shocks that came on my 15 CVO Road Glide Ultra.  Put a set of Ohlin on with about 1000 miles on the bike.  Best shocks I have ever used.  Took them off in Sept when I traded the 15.  Putting them on my 13 CVO King.  The ohlins can be rebuilt.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Raptor

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 03 SE Deuce (Gold), 09 SERG (Orange)
    • CVO2: 11.5 SEUC (Blue), CVO4: 12 SESG (Hot C.)
    • CVO3: 14 FLHTK PO, 17 FLHXS
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 02:27:12 PM »

I think they are.  Hated the air shocks that came on my 15 CVO Road Glide Ultra.  Put a set of Ohlin on with about 1000 miles on the bike.  Best shocks I have ever used.  Took them off in Sept when I traded the 15.  Putting them on my 13 CVO King.  The ohlins can be rebuilt.
I also hated the air shocks, they didn't work that well and always seemed to leak air, some faster than others.  The adjustable shocks on my 12 CVO Street were better and I didn't have to worry about air leaks but they would still bottom out sometimes but I believe some of that was due to the shorter travel for the lowered ride height.  I think almost anything would have been better than the old air shocks, I just wasn't sure if the Ohlins would be better than the new shock system on the 17's.  Thanks.
I don't care if I die with the most toys....  I just want to play with as many as I can before I go!

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 10:43:06 PM »

I also hated the air shocks, they didn't work that well and always seemed to leak air, some faster than others.  The adjustable shocks on my 12 CVO Street were better and I didn't have to worry about air leaks but they would still bottom out sometimes but I believe some of that was due to the shorter travel for the lowered ride height.  I think almost anything would have been better than the old air shocks, I just wasn't sure if the Ohlins would be better than the new shock system on the 17's.  Thanks.
I have the Ohlin 6's on rear and Ohlins cartridges (can't remember the number) on the front of my 12 RG and figured I would have to step up again when I got my SG. I will say that though the rear shocks are not as good as the Ohlins, I have been pleasantly surprised how good they are and at this point I don't think I will be doing the upgrade. The fronts on the new bike are really good and I definitely will not be upgrading them. So far both tires staying on the asphalt even under hard riding on not great roads. That definitely was not the case with the stock suspension on the 12 when I got it so I would say HD has come a long way on their stock suspension. I didn't make it 500 miles on my 12 before I ordered the Ohlins for the rear (they didn't make the front cartridges yet) and I couldn't really ride the bike like I wanted to until I switched them out. Not the case with the 17..
Alan

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 06:43:21 AM »

The hand adjustable premium shocks that came on the 12 and 13 CVO road glides, kings and street glides are better than air shocks.  Not near as good as the Ohlins. 

I had been saving to put Ohlins on the King.  Figured when I traded that the 17 would get the Ohlins.  However the new and improved premium hands adjustable shocks for 17 are significantly better than whats on my 13 King.  So the Ohlins from the 15 went to the king.

The front suspension on the 17 is also significantly improved.  Because of that my 17 handles slightly better than the 15 did, because I did not upgrade the front on it. 

Like Alan, I am not sure if I will upgrade the rear on the 17, they are not as good as Ohlin, but are much better than any thing in the past, and with the improved front end, bike handles real good.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 11:32:30 AM »

I've never had the Ohlin shocks but from what you guys describe and what I've read they are absolutely top of the line.  So I am pleased that like me you evaluate the stock suspension on the 17s as significantly improved over previous models.  I had Legend rear shocks on both my 07 and my 12 and Traxxion on the 07 and H-D premium ride on the 12 - significant improvement over stock in each case.  Like you I'm thinking I may not have to do anything at all to the 17 and that would be great.  More $$ for other goodies!   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 22 queries.