Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: CVO 110 Engine Longevity  (Read 31113 times)

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
Re: CVO 110 Engine Longevity
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2016, 06:41:08 PM »

..... I am a recipient of 5 crate motors under Warranty......
Say what?
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2016, 07:50:23 PM »

Say what?
Oh yah, can't forget the first year production of the illustrious 110, hard to forget, 5 motors removed, 5 motors shipped directly to Harley Davidson, 5 crate motors shipped overnight with my VIN stamped on the engine, back on the road within 4 days; all this within 14 months of ownership. The motorcycle was a 2007 CVO Road King, Cobalt Blue. That is why, I am a little gun shy about diving into the Harley Davidson first year production pool again, I can state with absolute certainty my trust issues are founded and documented.

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2016, 11:25:23 PM »

That is why, I am a little gun shy about diving into the Harley Davidson first year production pool again, I can state with absolute certainty my trust issues are founded and documented.

Point well taken and you have my sympathies.
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2016, 12:38:02 PM »

After reading this and other posts about the 110 longevity, what else besides replacing lifters would need to be done to extend the life of the motor to 100K miles?

On my 2004 FLHTCSE, I had the Timken bearing upgrade done, switched to gear cams (adj push rods and new lifters) crank was to out of tolerance so went with S&S crank, fueling cam back plate and oil pump. Bike had 69K and ran strong when I sold it.

Would something similar need to be done to the 110?

Ride safe!

Yes, but different

Understand that the 110 is just a 103 with different heads and cams.
That said the heads carry heavy big valves and have a design that contributes along with the fast lift rate cam that pushes components such as the lifters and cam bearings to their limit and failures occur prematurely. Lean mixture and high cylinder pressures seal the deal and make things worse.

What to do:

Assumption #1 is the rings are sealing well and the cylinders are not distorted. Pull the barrels and measure! If bad go right to 113 or 117". If good clean and reinstall with new HD base oring kit.

Assumption #2 is there have neen no bearing or other failures that could have metal traveling. If that happened GMR gave a good description what needs to happen in the Nikasil thread. Full teardown

Have the heads gone through, new Bronze Manganese guides, serdi valve job, replacement conical or beehive springs with less rate and pressure, and  premium viton seals. Replace valves as needed. Chambers CCd. The head chambers can be quite different on heads from the same motor, have them measured and fixed.

Replace the lifters with US made premium Delphis, S&S, or Johnson HiLift. Replace the inner cam bearings with HD torringtons or other premium full compliment needle bearings such as INA. Use HD adjustable pushrods 18404-08 or Smith Bros. Purchase "rocker lockers". Check the rocker bushings and shafts, replace with OEM as needed. Check oil pump, cam plate, and tensioners, replace with OEM parts as needed.

Check crank run out. My rule of thumb with a chain drive cam motor is <.006. Over that and we talk. New S&S crank is easy and works. A timken conversion is not needed unless this is going to a motor that gets pounded.
Bearings replaced with OEM if the bottom end is disassembled.

Finishing touches, cam choice. To go 100K miles I would go with a grind that is known to have conservative ramps such as Andrews and S&S cams. Assuming this is a nearly stock motor with no head porting no need to look at the cam as any more than a factory replacement. A little more duration is desirable. My needs are similar and as an example I chose an Andrews 54, pretty plain vanilla. Understand that all that said a cam chest inspection at ~every 30K is wise, better yet is preemptive maintenance, replace the lifters while there. Change the oil and filter every 5k. Use synthetic after a break-in on mineral based oil, 15-40

Get the bike professionally tuned with a flash tuner. It does not need to be rich and overly rich is as bad as overly lean. A good professional knows all this.

Covered some basics, there are some other minor details but this is a start.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 12:41:23 PM by HD Street Performance »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.