Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: TCX boots  (Read 11867 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
TCX boots
« on: January 28, 2017, 10:29:52 AM »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: TCX boots
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 06:42:11 PM »

No experience with them, but they look good.  I always wonder how waterproof the lace-up versions are these days; didn't have much luck with that aspect in the past, but sure prefer the fit they have.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide (Hard Candy Mercury)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 09:12:21 PM »

TCX make very high quality boots.  Have a pair and very pleased.
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo
and 20 others I can't remember....

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

TCX boots
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 09:59:59 AM »

I am looking to the same info. I've had many boots and have recently been using the "original swat" boots that have proven popular in threads around here.  They are super comfortable and do everything perfectly *except* provide any crash protection -at all-. Ive not seen an actual 'crashed in' pair, but I've seen much heavier-built work boots torn to pieces. The Original SWAT boots are supple like a leatherette shoe and likely just as effective for protecting ankle bones. I've been looking for for a "cruiser style" boot that has actual motorcycle specific armor or reinforcements AND some certification of performance. CE rating or similar. Maybe a cutaway showing how they are built... I haven't found a lot. I narrowed it down to the TCX Fuel or the Stylmartin Legend. I ordered the latter but am having second thoughts. I haven't found (yet) any actual backup for the CE rated claim in RevZilla's video. When the box arrives, if there are no ratings tags or info with the product, I'll return for the Fuels.
I know, I know, we've all used whatever boots for 100,000 miles and they're super. But would the boots you wear actually *protect* you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:13:46 AM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 10:26:59 AM »

I am looking to the same info. I've had many boots and have recently been using the "original swat" boots that have proven popular in threads around here.  They are super comfortable and do everything perfectly *except* provide any crash protection -at all-. Ive not seen an actual 'crashed in' pair, but I've seen much heavier-built work boots torn to pieces. The Original SWAT boots are supple like a leatherette shoe and likely just as effective for protecting ankle bones. I've been looking for for a "cruiser style" boot that has actual motorcycle specific armor or reinforcements AND some certification of performance. CE rating or similar. Maybe a cutaway showing how they are built... I haven't found a lot. I narrowed it down to the TCX Fuel or the Stylmartin Legend. I ordered the latter but am having second thoughts. I haven't found (yet) any actual backup for the CE rated claim in RevZilla's video. When the box arrives, if there are no ratings tags or info with the product, I'll return for the Fuels.
I know, I know, we've all used whatever boots for 100,000 miles and they're super. But would the boots you wear actually *protect* you?

My thoughts exactly and that is why I started looking into motorcycle specific boots that offer crash protection.  I've had CruiserWorks boots and they are light and comfortable but do not offer much in the way of protection . . . and I seem to wear out the soles way too fast so after two or three re-soles I gave up on them.  Been wearing a Rocky side zip paratrooper jump boot for several years.  Really like them but it is time to re-sole or replace hence looking for something better.

I really want the Hero jump boot but it does not come in black and I just do not want the brown so like you I may give the Fuel engineer style boot a try.  I like the side zip and lug style soles on both these boots.  Still comtemplating, researching and deciding.

If you get the Fuel your feedback would be most appreciated.   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:37:38 AM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 01:28:40 PM »

MrSurly,

Over the years I have tried a lot of different boots for riding motorsickles including Johnny Rebs, racing boots, military style boots and pretty much everything else except thongs (Australian for flip flops). Of all of these my personal preference is for HD FXRG3 boots which I bought on the recommendation of a friend who rides a lot.

There's an overview here: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/fxrg-3-performance-boots

Probably cheaper to buy at online HD stores or amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Harley-Davidson-FXRG-3-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Riding/dp/B00GXW10TO/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1485797525&sr=1-1&nodeID=7141123011&keywords=fxrg3%2Bboot&th=1 shop around I say.

Comfortable both riding and walking. When I get the chance I like to do a bit of touring preferably over an extended period from one to three weeks and all I take are these and some flip flops.  I have walked around bike weeks in Arizona, Sturgis & Daytona, concerts, cities, the bush and plenty other places in them and never felt uncomfortable in them. Yes my feet do get hot in the desert in the middle of summer but so does everything else. They are good in winter with decent socks.

Waterproof never had wet feet with them and they have seen plenty of rain both heavy and light. Love gortex it rocks when it is raining and breathes and doesn't add a lot of weight.

Durable had my current pair for over 5 years and covered a bunch of miles in the US, Canada and Oz. The sole is hard wearing and is still good which surprises me as I usually wear boots out in a year or two (probably have heavy bones).

Appearance wise they do not have a bunch of garish HD branding on them nor do they look like part of the pirate uniform which seems so necessary for many who ride. They look like boots not part of an ensemble. They have faded to a dull grey but I am not so worried about appearances/fashion as I am about function.

Protection wise they have some padding and they have an external malleolus (outside ankle bone) pad/protector sewn in but will not give as much protection as a pair of racing boots for example. They don't have steel toes but the leather is quite thick and there is a lot more padding in these than in your basic swat boots which I wore to work for years but didn't feel they were up to task for motorsickling.

Cost They were listed as over $300 when I got my pair but I got them way under as they were on sale in a close out bin for $130. Having worn them and seen the value I will buy another pair of these if they ever wear out.

Cheers Major Tom

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 04:06:34 PM »

MrSurly,

Over the years I have tried a lot of different boots for riding motorsickles including Johnny Rebs, racing boots, military style boots and pretty much everything else except thongs (Australian for flip flops). Of all of these my personal preference is for HD FXRG3 boots which I bought on the recommendation of a friend who rides a lot.

There's an overview here: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/fxrg-3-performance-boots

Probably cheaper to buy at online HD stores or amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Harley-Davidson-FXRG-3-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Riding/dp/B00GXW10TO/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1485797525&sr=1-1&nodeID=7141123011&keywords=fxrg3%2Bboot&th=1 shop around I say.

Comfortable both riding and walking. When I get the chance I like to do a bit of touring preferably over an extended period from one to three weeks and all I take are these and some flip flops.  I have walked around bike weeks in Arizona, Sturgis & Daytona, concerts, cities, the bush and plenty other places in them and never felt uncomfortable in them. Yes my feet do get hot in the desert in the middle of summer but so does everything else. They are good in winter with decent socks.

Waterproof never had wet feet with them and they have seen plenty of rain both heavy and light. Love gortex it rocks when it is raining and breathes and doesn't add a lot of weight.

Durable had my current pair for over 5 years and covered a bunch of miles in the US, Canada and Oz. The sole is hard wearing and is still good which surprises me as I usually wear boots out in a year or two (probably have heavy bones).

Appearance wise they do not have a bunch of garish HD branding on them nor do they look like part of the pirate uniform which seems so necessary for many who ride. They look like boots not part of an ensemble. They have faded to a dull grey but I am not so worried about appearances/fashion as I am about function.

Protection wise they have some padding and they have an external malleolus (outside ankle bone) pad/protector sewn in but will not give as much protection as a pair of racing boots for example. They don't have steel toes but the leather is quite thick and there is a lot more padding in these than in your basic swat boots which I wore to work for years but didn't feel they were up to task for motorsickling.

Cost They were listed as over $300 when I got my pair but I got them way under as they were on sale in a close out bin for $130. Having worn them and seen the value I will buy another pair of these if they ever wear out.

Cheers Major Tom
X2 Major Tom love mine since 09!

BigLew

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 04:15:56 PM »

BigLew
BigLew that's a great run. I have had 3 different bikes with this pair so it could be said they last longer than the motorsickles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 04:18:11 PM »

BigLew
X3....except 2010 or 11....will be going to the US this week....gonna try on the latest FXRG boots for size......and find a deal on the internet. I don't think Canadian dealers even stock them.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 08:26:45 PM »

X3....except 2010 or 11....will be going to the US this week....gonna try on the latest FXRG boots for size......and find a deal on the internet. I don't think Canadian dealers even stock them.
Good plan,

I got mine in a special bin either in Calgary or at Beartooth HD (Montana?). I have rarely seen them in stock at a dealers anywhere as with most FXRG its very pricey and most folks won't see the value in it.

Cheers Major Tom

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 10:15:45 PM »

Thanks for mentioning the FXRG. I've seen them recommended often. Unfortunately, my nearest dealer doesn't have any on hand. I'm not 100% in love with their look (same as I feel on the SWATs) but I've heard so much bragging on them I really want to try some on. I have one question on them.
Does the zipper really allow you to "lace once, zip only after that"? 

The SWATs zipper doesn't actually open enough for me to be able to avoid dealing with the laces.

Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 11:55:07 PM »

My 2010/11 ones I have not touched the laces since "getting them right" after a few wearings....I hope the new ones will be as good.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 09:43:22 AM »

I love my FXRG3 boots.  On my second pair as first pair started leaking after 6 years. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 10:51:45 AM »

If you get them from Amazon you can return them if they are not comfortable up to 30 days. See below.                                     This boot features the Wolverine 30 Day Comfort Guarantee. Please contact our Customer Service Team if you have questions @ 414-988-7077.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 11:45:43 AM »

I've been down wearing Original Swat Boots.  No damage to my feet but the boots got pretty scuffed up.  I didn't get my foot caught under the bike or the truck but in a case like that, not sure just how much a thin piece of leather will help if you're sliding down the road with a half ton motorcycle resting on your foot.  In a case like that, I'd be more concerned about the damage to the bones than soft tissue damage.  Shattered ankle can not be good....ever again.  :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.