Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Repaint of a FXSTSS2  (Read 2694 times)

Lostarrows

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

Repaint of a FXSTSS2
« on: February 09, 2017, 02:26:45 PM »

I just bought a 2008 softail springer and have the dreaded rust through the clear coat on the brushed steel finish. I know there is no way after 8 years Harley Davidson is going to cover the replacement of the fenders. So I'm going to repaint it Diamond pearl black.

My question is has any one painted over a sanded for rust removal fender. So what was the result? How much did it cost? And just general thoughts on the situation.

Thanks in advance
Scott

ultrarider123

Re: Repaint of a FXSTSS2
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 02:47:52 PM »

First off, welcome to the site.  Make sure to go over to the new members board and introduce yourself when you get a chance.

For paint issues, my first choice and many others here on the site is Joe at Xtreme Dimensions.  Here's a link to his contact info here on the site:
https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=22985

Can't go wrong with ANYTHING that he does.  He can also answer your questions about the rust issues and recommend what to do.

Good luck

Lostarrows

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 02:49:40 PM »

Thanks, I'll definitely look him up

Scott

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 08:48:08 AM »

I presume you are keeping the tank stock OEM paint ? Just painting the fenders black like the OEM black parts ?

Is yours the Diamond black/metal grind or the Anniversary colours ?

The stock paint on these truly is beautiful , pity about your problem
No illegitimi carborundum

Lostarrows

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 02:04:23 PM »

I have the black diamond/ metal grind and most of the bike has been powder coated black with exception of the tank and fenders. But the fender rust is spreading in the front and rear fender, I'm going to do my best to at least leave the tank stock, but unfortunately living in Houston that may be just wishful thinking.

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 11:59:24 PM »

Yes , the leading edge of the front guard ( sorry "fender" haha..) and the seat bolt hole , the 2 favourite places for rust creep under clear.

My 2013 CVO Breakout had the "rust worms" under the clear at the seat bolt within 6 months , AND IT HAS NOT GOTTEN ANY WORSE since !

I got a new rear guard (fender) under warranty at the time , but managed to keep the old as well. (long story !)

To date my 2008 FXSTSSE2 has no issues , and it's a Texas bike ( ex Red Rock HD) brought to Perth Western Australia in 2012 with 6,300 miles. Now 26,000 K's.

I LOVE my Springer , more than the CVO Breakout , it's basically just way cooler I suppose ( and far rarer !)

Lostarrows

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 11:40:06 AM »

I decided to wait and look at all options for a little while longer. So my A.D.D. Kicked in and last night developed some quick camouflage by making some leather/coin medallions for the back fender. Not a fix, but it allows my mind to find the right solution and not rush the job... because frankly this is driving me insane. I love the paint and hate the rust!!!

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 04:53:15 AM »

Now that is cool , and a good bit of "lateral thinking"..

My Mrs tells me I have OCD apparently , must be a "Springer thing" ?

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Repaint of a FXSTSS2
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 10:06:18 AM »

Great job on the medallions, perfect camouflage and exactly the sort of thing to let your mind 'relax' about the paint issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

Lostarrows

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 12:05:38 PM »

Thanks for the support guys, the bike looks so impressive, it just sucks when someone walks up excited and then ask "What's this?". The paint is a large reason why you buy this bike, I just wish Harley Davidson could step up and replace the paint, but I understand, I came into the game 8years too late. No manufacturer covers paint this far into the life of the vehicle.

I went to the dealership and they quoted me $1200 to replace the rear fender alone. I'm a retired soldier living off a pention, so I'm have to start saving for a new paint job, because there is no way I'm buying OEM tins that will just rust up on me in a few months. I'm hoping the camouflage covers till I get the cash to paint.

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 01:05:04 PM »

Id'e consider buying a non CVO FXSTS primed fender from a 20% off dealer to alleviate down time and sending it to Joe at Xtreme Dimensions. He was painting new aftermarket front fenders for waaay less than $1200.00!  I bought one from him and had my lowers, saddlebag speaker lids & grills and Yaffe Scoowl painted for around that if I remember correctly!

BostonBoy

Lostarrows

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 07:48:42 PM »

BostonboyDH,

I'll definitely give him a call after get the used fender online. That's a really good call, I was already looking on EBAY, your idea is spot on

Thanks
Scott

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 08:16:07 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.