Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wonder why this happened? weird electrical short  (Read 711 times)

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Wonder why this happened? weird electrical short
« on: April 24, 2017, 07:54:50 PM »

I have the engine torn apart on my 09SERG with tons of plugs just dangling or taped to the upper frame, Injectors, ACR's, head temp sensor, MAF, O2 sensors, neutral position, starter relay, etc.  Probably everything except for the rear brake switch is unplugged.  Today, after installing the daymaker I was going to test it out but when I turned the ignition switch on to accessory,  smoke and stink starting pouring from the rear brake switch. I immediately cut the switch off and praying that no damage was done but I'm certainly puzzled as to why this would happen other than thinking that everything else being unplugged caused too much current.   :nixweiss:

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

Re: Wonder why this happened? weird electrical short
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 06:54:14 AM »

Would anyone have a rear brake switch laying around that would measure across the terminals and report the resistance?

I'm hoping mine coincidentally went the trip and it's that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

Re: Wonder why this happened? weird electrical short
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 09:56:42 PM »

Looks like I dodged a bullet on this little escapade.  Hadnt ridden the bike since February but for some reason while checking the install of the daymaker the rear brake switch decided to turn in to a meg-ohm resistor.  Lots of smoke and stink.
There is a good chance if this had happened on the highway, there could have been flames.

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.