Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Is the 110 Junk?  (Read 17653 times)

csgohn

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2009 CVO RG-- 2004 RKC
    • AL

• CVO1: 2009 CVO SERG ELECTRIC ORANGE
Is the 110 Junk?
« on: July 29, 2017, 02:09:50 PM »

So the more i read and look into my engine failure the more i realize that the 110 may be the worst engine harley has built as of late. At 28k i have major engine damage and possibly the run out is bad i will know soon. It appears that in order to have a dependable 110 u need to replace everything in the engine with better stuff. Im reading that the flywheels are pressed and they could turn ot move, the springs are killing the lifters and cams, and the compensators are junk. Not trying to piss off anyone but i would like your thoughts on this . I have no problems with my 88 04 road king and im a little pissed about this 110 failure.
2009 CVO ROAD GLIDE ELECTRIC ORANGE.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Is the 110 Junk?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 02:14:57 PM »

The 110 is a great engine.  While it's running (if you can stand the heat).

J.D.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 02:41:39 PM »

I certainly believe my "little" 88 incher is more reliable than the 110s.  Fortunately it has plenty of power for my needs.  Definitely have to keep up on the maintenance on the 110s.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 03:18:38 PM »

csgohn, calm down there bud, nothing that some cash won't fix.  :drink: Everyone is fine with the horror stories till it happens to themselves. Your motor can be fixed and regaining confidence in the bike will come back, maybe.

You have to be proactive with the 110" and HD's in general now so don't jump out there, buy a new one and expect anything different. I feel yer pain and have gone thru this with the 07 110".......I'll stop there on that one.  :coolblue:

Lots of folks have shared their experiences good and bad here so weed thru all the dribble and get yer bike where you are proud of it again.

Maybe HD customer service will give you some customer relations considerations for the incident.  ::)

I sincerely wish you luck and hope you have the fortitude to get yer TR back up and running the way you like it.

One more note, I sold a 08 TR 96" punched out to a 103" with only one topend job with 187k miles on it a year er so ago, so they can be reliable beyond belief. I should have kept that one.  :drink: :drink:

TN
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 05:27:55 PM by TN »
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 03:49:55 PM »

I had the 110 in a 12 cvosg.  I had that bike for only 42k miles.  Never had one issue with it.  Had John Sachs do a build on it with 58mm intake injectors heads cams and more.  Not one complaint with it. Now I have one in the 16rg. .  No work done on this one at all. . I'm going to leave this alone this time. . Again.  Not one problem.  I typically do not ride like I stole it.  Maybe that's why my things last. . Just saying. . Stuart.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 07:18:32 PM »

they are if you dont change the lifters...so ive been told,  my 13 has 49k on it (lifter change at 15k) my 16 just rolled 18k so you know what its getting soon
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

mark

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 08:32:31 PM »

To the OP...you know the answer or you wouldn't have felt the need to ask.  You're just hoping someone will convince you otherwise.  Yes, the 110's have a myriad of problems and I would consider it the worst engine produced by the MoCo.

Lifters, valve guides, seals, cam bearing, excessive oil consumption, compensator...I'm sure others can add to the list.

Toofast_28

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 08:42:32 PM »

Anyone have a tally of how many parts from the 110 made it into the M8?  I think I saw someone say the lifters are the same.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 10:08:22 PM »

A lot of the issues could be avoided if the HDs came with cranks that were welded and pinned, S&S lifters, and better bearings. I'm no engineer or accountant, but how much can those upgrades drive up the cost? It seems they would rather use the cheaper stuff and deal with warranty's and recalls than spend a few extra bucks and make something dependable. I know they are different engines, but why how come the CVO 103 didn't have all those problems as the 110s? All I can think is it was a better design.

But I could be wrong.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 11:48:14 PM »

I'm pretty much a greenhorn but I've learned a lot about the 110s over the past few years I've had my 07 Ultra.
I've read a lot of all the issues that's going on with them about clutches, compensaters, lifters, electrical and so on all at different mileage.
I have 18+k on mine and have had two mager issues but not from poor design from what I can see.
The first issue was the inner primary case bearing and clutch hub spline failure due to the primary chain being too tight. This l found can happen from heavy acceleration and deceleration ( riding hard) I don't ride hard like that so I'm guessing it was the previous owner, the bike had 6k on it when I picked it up.
The second issue is now.
The lifters started getting noisy ( this has happened about 3 weeks after doing the bearing and clutch hub) so I ordered up the lifters and started stripping it down. Then found that all of the top end rocker box bolts and rocker arm assembly had all came loose on the rear cylinder. The front is all good.
Again I put it down to human fault because the rear cylinder had a head gasket recall before I got the bike and I can only assume the dealer mechanic did a piss poor job of it.
Other than that I'm finding it to be a good running motor and I'm liking the bike.
But hay, like I said I'm a greenhorn   :nixweiss:
Oh, and did have a regulator rectifier issue but I don't consider that mager
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 11:56:20 PM by longlast »

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 07:34:45 AM »

I changed my lifters just to make sure there would be no problems.  The lifters looked fine when they came out. I have right at 20K and the bike is great and runs great.  I never had any issues with my last CVO either. I don't ride hard and always insure the maintenance is done. One thing to note is that posts complaining about something are typical.  When there is a problem people will post about them.  However generally there are not posts about all the bikes that are running fine and don't have issues. So the result is that the first perception will look like there are lots of issues.  I am not saying these bike should not be built better (especially for the $$) but I don't think it as bad as it looks when you first see all the posts about problems.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 11:04:56 AM »

The 110 can live but a few things need to change as soon as possible.
Add head fans. The lifters, the cam and tune need to be changed. Optional rocker lockers, adjustable pushrods (a convenience) and change valve springs. After that a lifter inspection at 30K intervals plus regular oil changes should keep the motor happy assuming no events cause a crank shift and assuming the run out is acceptable to begin with.

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 11:49:51 AM »

Friends don't let friends ride 110s.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 12:01:40 PM »

yes it is junk

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 12:31:01 PM »

yes it is junk

Well just call me Fred Sanford!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.