Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Is the 110 Junk?  (Read 17657 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: Is the 110 Junk?
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2017, 05:39:42 PM »

Excellent synopsis Jerry. As I read through it I could recall having had each of these problems more than one time on each of the six 110 motors I've had. Gawd I must be a glutton for punishment as my ole grandma would say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

J.D.

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2017, 06:38:07 PM »

7th times a charm  :nixweiss:

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2017, 12:20:12 AM »

I'm pretty much a greenhorn but I've learned a lot about the 110s over the past few years I've had my 07 Ultra.
I've read a lot of all the issues that's going on with them about clutches, compensaters, lifters, electrical and so on all at different mileage.
I have 18+k on mine and have had two mager issues but not from poor design from what I can see.
The first issue was the inner primary case bearing and clutch hub spline failure due to the primary chain being too tight. This l found can happen from heavy acceleration and deceleration ( riding hard) I don't ride hard like that so I'm guessing it was the previous owner, the bike had 6k on it when I picked it up.
The second issue is now.
The lifters started getting noisy ( this has happened about 3 weeks after doing the bearing and clutch hub) so I ordered up the lifters and started stripping it down. Then found that all of the top end rocker box bolts and rocker arm assembly had all came loose on the rear cylinder. The front is all good.
Again I put it down to human fault because the rear cylinder had a head gasket recall before I got the bike and I can only assume the dealer mechanic did a piss poor job of it.
Other than that I'm finding it to be a good running motor and I'm liking the bike.
But hay, like I said I'm a greenhorn   :nixweiss:
Oh, and did have a regulator rectifier issue but I don't consider that mager
I don't ride hard and I had my primary bearing failure fixed by replacing with the Baker Primary bearing still in there and no issue since. Bought my 07 new and still riding it.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2017, 01:17:32 AM »

Call it whatever you want...junk...boat anchor...thigh barbecue...

If the 110 was in a GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, BMW, Indian, etc.

The failure rate would be unacceptable.

It's a Harley so it's acceptable.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2017, 07:13:47 AM »

If the 110 was in a GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, BMW, Indian, etc.

Ain't that the truth  :drink: they have been given a pass of sorts.

Not sure what I'd do with my H.O.G. tattoo on the side of my neck without  a Harley to justify it.

I'm fixing to go ride my junk......  :bananarock:

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2017, 08:22:26 AM »

When you think about it, what is the real difference between any of the TC motors that would make a 110 more susceptible to failure over a 96 or 103?   
  Much higher valve spring pressures

Much stronger valve springs which hammer the valve train.  Some say way too much spring pressure and recommend changing them.

Yep, Beehive springs help, spring is less likely to bind than the Harley set up

Hearing noise, that is lash. That comes from lifters not able to keep the roller seated on the cam. Root cause is not the springs but they are in the mix. The beehives guys are using have higher seat pressure than the oem spring.

I fully agree.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2017, 08:45:07 AM »

EXACTLY!  The vast majority of Harley riders would never accept the same poor quality and reliability from any of their other purchases, but for whatever reason they keep giving Harley a free pass.  Let's see, Harley overcharges for everything, they blow off customers who complain about abnormal/unacceptable conditions and failures, they cover up and take at least six to eight years to attempt to fix known problems in production, and they don't enforce any standards with their dealers with regard to customer service.  What's not to love about any of that?  The Boomer generation is probably the last they will see that will give them such blind loyalty, and it's going to take a lot of work and a huge change in corporate mindset if they are to continue to succeed in the US market.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2017, 08:47:57 AM »

And take a hydraulic roller lifter and loft it plus turn it a bit due to poor locating pin fit and wonder why we are loosing lifters and these motors are so hard on lifters? Consider the added valve train weight compared to the OEM head with 7mm valves. And then there are the pogo sticks they use for pushrods. Fine for the OEM motor not so when the whole top is changed and the cam, albeit short, has very fast lift rates.

So was the 96 /103 so great before they added inches and a new valve train? Is the 6 speed cruise drive a durable reliable drive train?
Nope, the 110 just adds to an already shaky stack.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:50:30 AM by HD Street Performance »

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2017, 05:08:41 PM »

I was wondering,...does the same thing happen to Non-CVO bikes that install the "110 Kit"? In other words, if a regular 2016 103' engine was upgraded, using the HD 110 kit, would it start self destructing too? Would the lifters chew up the cams, the crank start pushing the limits of run out and so on?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2017, 05:41:53 PM »

I was wondering,...does the same thing happen to Non-CVO bikes that install the "110 Kit"? In other words, if a regular 2016 103' engine was upgraded, using the HD 110 kit, would it start self destructing too? Would the lifters chew up the cams, the crank start pushing the limits of run out and so on?

When you buy the 110 kit for a 103 you get new lifters, cams, valve springs, push rods, along with the cylinders and pistons, so your probably good for another 20K  :nixweiss:
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2017, 06:41:48 PM »

When you buy the 110 kit for a 103 you get new lifters, cams, valve springs, push rods, along with the cylinders and pistons, so your probably good for another 20K  :nixweiss:

So then pass on the HD stuff and use S&S lifters and cams, go with Beehive springs in the heads, and you're good till,....60k?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2017, 09:15:28 PM »

I assume you mean there 110 bolt-on for a 103" with CNC heads
New set of issues
The HD kit with CNC heads have way too much spring pressure. Get rid of those and it would be as good as a 103 or thereabouts. The lifters are maintenance items regardless.

moto4sho

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2017, 12:32:26 AM »

I had lifter noise on my 12 CVO UC and when I pulled it apart the lifter rollers were rough and it also caused damage to the cam lobes. If I hadn't changed them I'm sure it would have resulted in a bad day, at some point. Put a in woods cams, changed cam bearings, tensioners, s&s lifters and push rods, custom tune, runs like a bat out of hell now.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2017, 08:38:28 AM »

I'm not sure what's available now, but not long after the CVO110 was introduced in production Harley offered a kit to create the exact same engine, including the heads, when installed on a TC96 or TC103.  Those kits would have had the exact same weaknesses as the factory assembled CVO engine, since they used the exact same parts.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2017, 08:59:49 AM »

Thanks Jerry, that's what I thought.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.