Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: XM Roady2  (Read 1603 times)

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
XM Roady2
« on: October 20, 2004, 03:03:02 PM »

Had a chance last night to mess around and see if I could hook up a roady2 xm radio on the glide. Here is a picture of it on the bike. I put it on the mirror stem.
MObe

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
Re: XM Roady2
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 03:09:35 PM »

Here is a picture of the back, I still have to trim the backing plate down and pull off the backing material, this should be an easy job for this evening.  The Roady2 comes with a magnetic antenna, which I just stuck to the top of the radio under the fairing.
MObe

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 03:51:15 PM »

How's the reception with the little magnetic antenna?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 03:52:01 PM by twolanerider »

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 04:04:31 PM »

So far it seems to be working fine. I took it for a 15 mile ride last night at about 11:30 and it worked very well. An extra benefit seems to be that I can hear the music more clearly (?). I mounted it on the left hand mirror so that I could change stations without taking my hand off of the throttle. Also so no irreversable changes were made to the bike.
 This morning I rode about 50 miles w/o problems. However going east on Zora behind a lot of trees on the south, I did notice the signal bars fluctuating from 1 to 3 bars, but the radio sound didn't fluctuate or fade out.
 This setup is available for about $120 from Best Buy.
 I also put the hidden antenna that you told me about under the fairing and it also seems to work fine. I kind of like the look of the whip antenna, so I left it on even though its not hooked up.
MObe

Johnnabal

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 04:30:15 PM »

That how I did mine when I first got my bike then I changed the mirrors so I did it this way. http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=eg_gen;action=display;num=1091750271

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 07:59:12 AM »

Have several freinds that us xm radios but they lose the signal alot around here very hilly something about suthern exposure,  or where the satelites are in the sky.  So haven't gone that way beside hate to pay $10.00 amonth for tunes.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

RRSteve

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 06:35:12 PM »

I have Sirius radio in four vehicles, and am going to install it on my red SEEG (which according to the dealer arrives tomorrow). According to articles I read before signing up for Sirius, XM was the first and is the largest provider and is also less expensive than Sirius but supposedly Sirius has more satellites, and better coverage. Also they have no commercials on the music channels, and is $12.95 a month as opposed to XM being $9.95 a month. After the first one you activate with Sirius. each additional unit you activate cost $6.95 a month.  I know I have been pleased with Sirius and have had no reception problems. I plan on putting the antenna under the fairing also and will let you know if it works or not as soon as I get it installed. I have not had XM so I cannot compare content or verify that Sirius does have better coverage. I just went on articles I read from various sources, including Crutchfield, when I bought.

Johnnabal

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 08:19:16 PM »

I have two cars and the a bike with XM. 2nd and third radio cost 6.99. First one is 9.95 unless you pay upfront like I did so it cost something like 8.50 a month for three year contract. As to reception, in the cars there no problem at all, on the bike there is very little. Don't know if the cause is were the antenna is or what. Not enought to worry about it. Commercials, I haven't heard them on the music station. Why I chose XM. I work for and drive GM's. Didn't have a choice.

wesuggs

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 05:32:27 PM »

I noticed that you cut the antenna wire, any problems with reception or difficulty in reconnecting the wire. Is it a single strand wire?  Thanks for the help

Johnnabal

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 07:19:33 PM »

no. need to soider it into the antena unit

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.