Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sirius Antenna Location  (Read 3222 times)

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Sirius Antenna Location
« on: November 26, 2017, 09:44:25 AM »

I picked up the WHIM kit yesterday and during the installing I plan on relocating this Sirius antenna just wondering if anybody's got it on the outside of the Fairing and if it works better.
2015 CVO Limited
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Sirius Antenna Location
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 10:03:36 AM »

I have it mounted next to the fairing vent on top and it works fine. I bought the 3 pouch windshield bag and you never know the antenna is there.

rogercm

• Roger Street Glide

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 01:09:15 PM »

I relocated the Sirius antenna to the right side of the vent as well, it is small and black and blends right in.
I definitely notice an improvement in reception with it located outside, even getting a signal inside my garage now.
I would recommend all to do this if a frequent XM/Sirius listener.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 03:01:30 PM »

I have it mounted next to the fairing vent on top and it works fine. I bought the 3 pouch windshield bag and you never know the antenna is there.

:worthless:

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 03:01:58 PM »

I relocated the Sirius antenna to the right side of the vent as well, it is small and black and blends right in.
I definitely notice an improvement in reception with it located outside, even getting a signal inside my garage now.
I would recommend all to do this if a frequent XM/Sirius listener.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 09:49:30 PM »

Mine is inside the fairing, has been on my 05 SEEG, 09 SERG and currently my 15 RG. I have never experienced any of the problems that other folks on this site complain about, on any of the bikes. I do live in Florida but have ridden the bike in the Dakota's, Carolina's and Georgia and never had any problem with signal.
The SEEG had the handlebar mounted XM radio which I also initally used on the 09 at first before changing to the module that connected to the radio. I never bought the more expensive antenna either. Just the small OE one.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 06:32:10 AM »

This is the only pic of it.....with the windshield bags on you can't see it.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 08:32:25 AM »

Moved the antenna on my 2010 to the same location.  Reception improved significantly.  Used a dremel to cut a small groove for the wire so it would not be crimped, sealed area with silicone.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 09:05:01 AM »

IMHO the problems many people have with the stock setup are caused not by the antenna being blocked by the plastic fairing, but rather by the other metal and electrical items inside the fairing that affect reception.  I think I've mentioned before in one of these threads that there's a good reason why the automakers don't bury their sat antennas in the instrument panel under or near the radio chassis and metal brackets.  Yes, it would be much less expensive to do it that way, but even though auto companies would normally kill for ideas that would save only a penny or two per unit they usually try not to do things they know will cause poor performance and customer complaints.  Thus they still spend a lot more to locate the antenna outside of the instrument panel and usually outside  the vehicle.  Say what you will, but the auto industry does get some things right some of the time, and this is one of those things. 

If people are having reception problems but still want to leave the antenna inside the fairing, I'd suggest moving it from the stock location to a position above any metal and as far from the audio components as possible, even if it means making your own mounting bracket or adhering it directly to the fairing with 3M mounting tape.  Some of the stock locations I've seen in the past made no sense at all, other than being cheap and simple for Harley.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 11:11:56 AM »

My antenna was relocated by the dealer last year to the location just under the inner fairing to the right of the vent, it did help but still have drop outs.
I will be putting it outside the fairing as you guys have.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 01:06:35 PM »

IMHO the problems many people have with the stock setup are caused not by the antenna being blocked by the plastic fairing, but rather by the other metal and electrical items inside the fairing that affect reception.  I think I've mentioned before in one of these threads that there's a good reason why the automakers don't bury their sat antennas in the instrument panel under or near the radio chassis and metal brackets.  Yes, it would be much less expensive to do it that way, but even though auto companies would normally kill for ideas that would save only a penny or two per unit they usually try not to do things they know will cause poor performance and customer complaints.  Thus they still spend a lot more to locate the antenna outside of the instrument panel and usually outside  the vehicle.  Say what you will, but the auto industry does get some things right some of the time, and this is one of those things. 

If people are having reception problems but still want to leave the antenna inside the fairing, I'd suggest moving it from the stock location to a position above any metal and as far from the audio components as possible, even if it means making your own mounting bracket or adhering it directly to the fairing with 3M mounting tape.  Some of the stock locations I've seen in the past made no sense at all, other than being cheap and simple for Harley.

JMHO - Jerry

The antenna is mounted on a bracket higher than anything else in the fairing so there is no metal over it. it is also off to the side so not to be directly above the radio. I'm sure mounting to the inside of the inner fairing may help a bit, but still will not be as good as mounting outside the fairing.

Phaedrus

• Totally tubular!
  • Junior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2009 XR1200 (modified)
    • CVO3: 2003 FLSTFI (modified)
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2021, 07:58:54 PM »

Moved the antenna on my 2021 CVO Road Glide to the top of the fairing. Instant improvement in reception.  Took the bike on my test route with plenty of overhead tree foliage and mountains blocking signal - and I went from numerous dropouts to only one.

This is a great improvement for places with weak signal.

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.