Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: My New Shark...."I've seen da light"  (Read 4130 times)

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: My New Shark...."I've seen da light"
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 10:43:39 AM »

Congrats on the new bike. I must be the odd man out here. Been riding CVO shark since 09 and love it. Went to a demo day at the dealer and rode both the CVO Bat and shark. I know the style is different, but there is no way to make the shark a touring bike. it rode and handled like a hardtail. Might make a nice bar hoper but wow. Would not want to ride it very far. It was hard to tell if it's the 21" front or the no padded seat. I was really looking to update but not with this bike.

BigLew

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 11:04:25 AM »

Congrats on the new bike. I must be the odd man out here. Been riding CVO shark since 09 and love it. Went to a demo day at the dealer and rode both the CVO Bat and shark. I know the style is different, but there is no way to make the shark a touring bike. it rode and handled like a hardtail. Might make a nice bar hoper but wow. Would not want to ride it very far. It was hard to tell if it's the 21" front or the no padded seat. I was really looking to update but not with this bike.

BigLew

Go with the RG Special, I added a heated seat on mine.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 11:45:48 AM »

BigLew,

Since I always had a bike with either a windshield or nothing I was planning on getting an 09 CVO Road Glide and making it worthy of a long distance machine. Not have spent much time on either a Shark or a Batwing I just read opinions on the forums for both.  Are you saying that in your opinion regardless on how a RG is set up the Batwing is the bike for long distance?  I'm in my third cervical collar from another neck surgery so my next bike will have to have the best suspension I can afford along with the best wind protection.  Looking forward to your opinion. PM if you want to.

RayG 

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 11:54:13 AM »

Praise the Lord! He saw the light.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 12:58:41 PM »

BigLew,

Since I always had a bike with either a windshield or nothing I was planning on getting an 09 CVO Road Glide and making it worthy of a long distance machine. Not have spent much time on either a Shark or a Batwing I just read opinions on the forums for both.  Are you saying that in your opinion regardless on how a RG is set up the Batwing is the bike for long distance?  I'm in my third cervical collar from another neck surgery so my next bike will have to have the best suspension I can afford along with the best wind protection.  Looking forward to your opinion. PM if you want to.

RayG
My 2 Cents,,,

'Own and have been to the 4 corners of the U.S. on both the Shark and the Bat... ('09 SERG, '05 SEEG)

The Shark is my go-to long distance Bike (now that I have the '09 aero sorted out) For me, the aero is now as good as any motorcycle I have ever ridden,,,
"The Ball & Chain" prefers the aero on the Bat...

The Bat is my favorite in the twisties, more nimble, easier for me to carry cornering speed...

The '09 SERG took a bit of cash to set up for Touring,,, Tour Pak, Vented Lowers, Windshield, Air Deflectors, Lower Triple Tree Deflector, Corbin DualTour Seat, Cardo Intercom...

"Knowing what I know now,,," buying a RGU would have been less expensive than modding a "Special" for Touring...

To sum it up,,, if I had to start all over again,,, I would pick out a Shark and a Bat and ride them both in a mix of city/rural/interstate... Don't forget to include Mama if'n she rides with 'ya...

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 04:14:55 PM »

I totally agree with doing some long test rides.  I test rode the BMW 1600GTL for a few hours and I was hooked on how it felt for me.  I took mama out for a test ride on the same bike and she told me between the seat & the amount of wind she would not like going long distances with it. I love the 09's but you are right on the cost to get it set up, it would have to be my last bike and I'm not ready to make that decision yet.  Very well put & thanks for waking me up.   

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 10:59:11 PM »

BigLew
It was probably the rear suspension jacked right up. They hand adjustable. I know on my '13, i jack them up for 2 up and luggage, after you unload its a hard ride, if you dont decrease the shocks.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 01:24:02 AM »

BigLew
I've had both a SEUC and a SERGU, and I've ridden a lot on an '09 SERG.  The '09 SERG had a lowered suspension, so it rode much firmer than a stock Ultra Classic or SEUC or SERG.  In addition, the seat was more for looks than long-distance comfort, as was the so-called "windshield."

IMO and IME, the FLTRX (and FLHX) bikes are "hot rod baggers," and are set up by the factory to lean toward the bar-hopper style, rather than as comfortable touring bikes.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 08:04:17 AM »

BigLew

I think it makes a just fine touring bike.  I have already put a 1045 mile day on it in just under 16 hours.  I have also done a couple 500 mile days on it. I did put a real windshield on it the day I got it, and a rider back rest.

I put 47K on an 09 CVO Road glide, then I put 46K on my 12 CVO Road glide.  Then I got a 15 CVO Road Glide ultra.  Had to change the rear suspension right away to make it hand the curves correctly.  Put 44K on that one.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

david@kallander.me

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2018, 11:56:47 AM »

Interesting views on the SERG. I'm pretty tall, but my '16 SERGU is waaaaay more comfortable for me than my '15 SESG. Batwing had a cool look, and my wife loved the lava flames, but the aero, hammock heated seat, distance from me to the fairing, etc. all made the SERGU so much more comfortable. I had a hard time going 200-300 miles without taking a break, stretching, etc. The day after I got my SERGU, I took it 450 miles and could have gone another few hundred. Won't go back to a batwing bike- as cool as they look.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.