Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 017 CVO Street Glide problem  (Read 3840 times)

Singlebeam

• Singlebeam
  • Full CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2008 Fxstsse2 Screamin Eagle Softail Springer (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2008 Flhtcuse3 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2013 Fltrxse2 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Custom (traded for 17 SESG)
017 CVO Street Glide problem
« on: December 25, 2017, 07:33:29 PM »

This might have been discussed but I can't find it. This also might be in the wrong place. My 2017 SESG is losing tranny oil. It's getting into the primary. This is happening quite often. Are any of you guys having this problem. There are several on other forums with this issue. Here is a memo about it.
2017 CVO Street Glide
2012 Heritage Softail
1957 hardtail w/shovelhead engine
1950 Panhead

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
Re: 017 CVO Street Glide problem
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 09:15:53 PM »

This might have been discussed but I can't find it. This also might be in the wrong place. My 2017 SESG is losing tranny oil. It's getting into the primary. This is happening quite often. Are any of you guys having this problem. There are several on other forums with this issue. Here is a memo about it.

As you may already know, this was/is a problem on earlier year models too.

I made a practice of changing all 3 holes each time a oil change was called for. That way I could be on top of issues like this.

I am of the opinion that the seal replacement should be done as soon as you can...under warranty. That way you have a documented dealer record should the condition reoccur.

Ride Safe!!

Happy holidays. 

Singlebeam

• Singlebeam
  • Full CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 04:27:53 AM »

Well I can't wait til oil change time because the oil level drops too fast. It will be too low by the time oil change time gets here. I was just wondering if any of you are experiencing this on the new M8 bikes! I am taking it in as soon as I can to get it documented. So far Moco has not got an answer for the problem. Thanks for the reply....
2017 CVO Street Glide
2012 Heritage Softail
1950 Panhead

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 09:00:09 AM »

That bulletin referenced in the first post doesn't tell you much, other than it hints at a certain amount of this transfer of fluids being normal (Harley can never resist trying to pass off defects as "normal").  If I were you I wouldn't wait but rather insist they change the seal immediately.  They also need to determine why the seal isn't sealing properly, as in excessive shaft runout or poor surface finish, etc.  They've been running the Cruise Drive and new primary design since 2007; ten years later and they still don't know what's wrong and still haven't fixed it?  I know what that tells me, I'll leave it to everyone else to decide what it tells them.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 09:15:28 AM »

That bulletin referenced in the first post doesn't tell you much, other than it hints at a certain amount of this transfer of fluids being normal (Harley can never resist trying to pass off defects as "normal").  If I were you I wouldn't wait but rather insist they change the seal immediately.  They also need to determine why the seal isn't sealing properly, as in excessive shaft runout or poor surface finish, etc.  They've been running the Cruise Drive and new primary design since 2007; ten years later and they still don't know what's wrong and still haven't fixed it?  I know what that tells me, I'll leave it to everyone else to decide what it tells them.

Jerry

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

It could also be a bad/poor quality seal....saving pennies to spend big $$$ in warranty repairs.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 10:10:27 AM »

Jerry
His is a '17 with the M8 motor.  The 'action' shown in the TA0022 pertains  for 2014-2016 Twin Cams only.  I don't know what is different in the M8 tranny / primary vs the Twin Cam.  What, if anything, has been done on the M8s to rectify attempt to correct this problem.  :nixweiss:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 11:48:41 AM »

His is a '17 with the M8 motor.  The 'action' shown in the TA0022 pertains  for 2014-2016 Twin Cams only.  I don't know what is different in the M8 tranny / primary vs the Twin Cam.  What, if anything, has been done on the M8s to rectify attempt to correct this problem.  :nixweiss:

I've heard more about this problem on the 17's than I did on the earlier bikes, so I'm guessing nothing was done on the M8's to correct the problem.  One thing I do know is that migration from the trans to the primary or vice-versa is not "normal" or more important, acceptable.  Perhaps this is the first step toward Harley going to a common lubrication system for the trans and primary, and eventually to a unit construction design like many other brands use. ;)

Jerry
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 12:12:26 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 12:57:16 PM »

I've heard more about this problem on the 17's than I did on the earlier bikes, so I'm guessing nothing was done on the M8's to correct the problem.  One thing I do know is that migration from the trans to the primary or vice-versa is not "normal" or more important, acceptable.  Perhaps this is the first step toward Harley going to a common lubrication system for the trans and primary, and eventually to a unit construction design like many other brands use. ;)

Jerry

Now you’ve gone and leaked the super secret testing that was under way.....   ;D  ;D

Singlebeam

• Singlebeam
  • Full CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 05:24:05 PM »

Memo says for 17 and later models to "Check the primary and transmission and adjust the oil volumes as needed. Verify oil levels again in 1000 mi. " My oil is migrating to primary a lot sooner than 1000 miles. I will take it in and get it documented and hopefully Moco will find a solution soon. In the mean time I will ride one of my other bikes. I was just curious as to whether anyone here has had this issue with a 2017 bike. Thanks for your input.
2017 CVO Street Glide
2012 Heritage Softail
1950 Panhead

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 06:27:23 PM »

Memo says for 17 and later models to "Check the primary and transmission and adjust the oil volumes as needed. Verify oil levels again in 1000 mi. " My oil is migrating to primary a lot sooner than 1000 miles. I will take it in and get it documented and hopefully Moco will find a solution soon. In the mean time I will ride one of my other bikes. I was just curious as to whether anyone here has had this issue with a 2017 bike. Thanks for your input.
As the kids would say, 'well, duh.'  What a dumbazz 'action' for the M8s.  Translated means the moco has not a clue as to what's causing it.  So far my M8 is showing no sign of the problem  Sure hope it stays that way and yours gets fixed asap.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 01:53:25 PM »

As the kids would say, 'well, duh.'  What a dumbazz 'action' for the M8s.  Translated means the moco has not a clue as to what's causing it.  So far my M8 is showing no sign of the problem  Sure hope it stays that way and yours gets fixed asap.   :2vrolijk_21:

17's had a new single row  MDG bearing and am not sure on the seal. This is retro fit  and when your MDG goes away this is what replaces it. Can't imagine what's  different in that gear set as I've checked all the  number's before I slipped   in the '17  scissor gear in my '16. Looks like just the case is different. 

Possible the  trans vent line is plugged and building a little pressure up?  That's the only thing I can think of, except the obvious, bad seal , rough shaft letting it in .           
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 06:46:50 PM by Texas 103 »
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Singlebeam

• Singlebeam
  • Full CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 04:28:38 PM »

17's had a new single row  MDG bearing and am not sure on the seal. This is retro fit  and if your MDG goes away this is what replaces it. Can't imagine what's  different in that gear set as I've checked art number's before I slipped   in the '17  scissor gear in my '16. Possible the  trans vent line is plugged and building a little pressure up?  That's the only thing I can think of, except the obvious, bad seal , rough shaft letting it in .         

Well it's happening to a lot of bikes. Not just mine.
2017 CVO Street Glide
2012 Heritage Softail
1950 Panhead

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 06:43:50 PM »

Well it's happening to a lot of bikes. Not just mine.

Amen, Tight primary chain, tight drive belt, 14 lb clutch assembly flopping around out there...

Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.