Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help Please  (Read 3873 times)

WRE4U

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2012 Harley Davidson CVO Softail Convertible FLSTSE3
Help Please
« on: February 21, 2018, 04:27:47 PM »

I have just about given up on this minor problem, which with my luck will turn into a much bigger (read expensive) PITA.
My 2012 Conv needs a new rear docking point thing- a-majig (the part where the saddle bag brace lines up to (part #53967-06) as the plastic grommet was broken off.  I get the part from the dealer only to find out that the screw that holds it all together is some kind of a star/torx screw that will not loosen.  I have tried all the tricks with WD40 and other stuff to no avail.  I think that I may have the wrong tool, and will probably strip it pretty soon.  Looking up the screw and part #4997, it does not tell me the size of that screw.  Anyone here want to take a look at theirs and help me out? (Jerry) and point me in the direction of the right tool.  Thanks !!
2012 Harley Davidson CVO Softail
Convertible  FLSTSE3

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Help Please
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 04:37:54 PM »

Pictures of what your referring to would help....

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

WRE4U

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 06:05:13 PM »

here are a couple of pics of the docking unit and screw....

Convertible  FLSTSE3

WRE4U

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 06:06:21 PM »

Convertible  FLSTSE3

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 07:11:38 PM »

Not sure but see if a #27 torx fits the bill.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 07:48:43 PM »

The kind I have on my antique aren't Torx drive but rather hex bit, so I can't tell you for sure what size your's is.  If you've been trying a T25 though and it isn't a snug fit, Rayson put you on the right track with the T27 suggestion.  It's always aggravated me that there are two sizes so close together, making it all too easy to grab the wrong size and either strip the head of the bolt or the bit.

If you strip out the head, use locking pliers on the outer edge of the bolt head to break it loose and then buy a new one.  I remember having to do that on one of mine on a different bike many years ago.

Jerry

Btw, the Harley description for a P/N 4997 is screw, button head hex.  Are you sure yours are Torx?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:10:38 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rigidthumper

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 07:53:59 PM »

That takes a t40 torx bit- I find the yellow loctite that those bolts come with are very stubborn- I'll only use a good quality bit ( Snap-on, Mac, etc) and a long 3/8" breaker bar, have one bud hold the socket firmly and squarely in the fastener, while you apply counter clockwise ( lefty loosey) pressure- it will move, but it doesn't want to. The purpose of having someone else hold the socket square will become apparent when you see how much pressure it takes to break it loose- doing it by yourself may result in some heavily damages chrome/paint.
HTH

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 09:38:24 PM »

That takes a t40 torx bit- I find the yellow loctite that those bolts come with are very stubborn- I'll only use a good quality bit ( Snap-on, Mac, etc) and a long 3/8" breaker bar, have one bud hold the socket firmly and squarely in the fastener, while you apply counter clockwise ( lefty loosey) pressure- it will move, but it doesn't want to. The purpose of having someone else hold the socket square will become apparent when you see how much pressure it takes to break it loose- doing it by yourself may result in some heavily damages chrome/paint.
HTH

..and add a long pipe on the extension for more torque, ease into it slowly adding more leverage and hold it in place and it should start to turn.  That factory locktight always has too much put on. They should dip 2-3 threads and they do 1/2 the bolt. Just wait until you try and remove the brake rotor bolts.  As was mentioned use a very good quality torx.

Good luck!!

WRE4U

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 06:30:54 AM »

The kind I have on my antique aren't Torx drive but rather hex bit, so I can't tell you for sure what size your's is.  If you've been trying a T25 though and it isn't a snug fit, Rayson put you on the right track with the T27 suggestion.  It's always aggravated me that there are two sizes so close together, making it all too easy to grab the wrong size and either strip the head of the bolt or the bit.

If you strip out the head, use locking pliers on the outer edge of the bolt head to break it loose and then buy a new one.  I remember having to do that on one of mine on a different bike many years ago.

Jerry

Btw, the Harley description for a P/N 4997 is screw, button head hex.  Are you sure yours are Torx?

Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions, it kind of scares me that it is so hard to loosen.  There is always something to amaze me with these bikes!  I'm thinking this Saturday free lunch day at the HD dealer, maybe someone could take a look at it??
Convertible  FLSTSE3

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 09:02:20 AM »

If you have a heat gun (or even a hair dryer) put some heat to it. It’ll loosen right up. Had a similar situation a few years ago and a bit of heat did the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

lpennock

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 08:13:21 AM »

If you have a heat gun (or even a hair dryer) put some heat to it. It’ll loosen right up. Had a similar situation a few years ago and a bit of heat did the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^ try to concentrate the heat on the mount rather than the bolt.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

WRE4U

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 05:27:24 AM »

Again thanks for all the suggestions!  I went to the dealer, and for $21.60 they took care of it!  My dealer is pretty great....lunch, new screw, and a wash. plus I got to meet a guy and sold him one of my old HD jackets that I didn't wear often.  All in all it was a great day!!
Convertible  FLSTSE3

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 22 queries.