Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Poly handlebar riser bushings  (Read 15155 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Poly handlebar riser bushings
« on: March 01, 2007, 04:30:01 AM »

Have never used the polyurethane riser bushings before.  Will have the nose of the red bike all apart in a couple of weeks or so changing legs.  Before that happens would be interested in descriptions of difference before and after from those that have actually used the poly bushings.  Do they feel better, worse or no difference?  Do they transmit vibration back up through the bars more.  Etc etc etc. 

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Poly handlebar riser bushings
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 06:43:57 AM »

Don-I am happy with the poly handlebar risor bushings from the MOCO..
I have at least 4,000 miles with them as well as the Velva ride front motor mount.  At an idle, with the bushings and the mount, my handlebar vibration is not very noticeable.  I have no vibration from the handlebars at speed either.  Once you get the old ones out and compare them to the new ones, rubber vs polyurethane, you will see the quality difference.  For me, I would do them again.  Hope this helps.   

hogasm

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 07:12:24 AM »

Don, Installed them when I changed everything on the front end this winter. Th bike rides soooooooo much different, and smoother. I really could not contribute this to the new bushings, but the bars don't vibrate as much as they did before. I know this doesn't help, but if you have it down that far I wouldn't hesitate to put them in.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 07:46:04 AM »

I did this last summer so I don't have the directions in front of me but the main thing was to torque at the 45-55 ft #'s (again from memory?) and not the higher torque of the rubber bushings.  I know you are probably changing out your legs at this time so you definitely know what to do.  I changed mine out by just removing the lower ignition switch cover and did not remove the outer fairing or radio.  Don't forget pictures when you're done.

Like Hogasm stated they are worth it.  Until you mentioned the bushings in this thread, I had forgot I had installed them (and too me, that's a good thing).    ::)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 12:34:16 PM »

Thanks guys.  Sat down here a few minutes ago after being out all morning and already had excellent responses.  Really appreciate it.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 12:52:58 PM »

Thanks guys.  Sat down here a few minutes ago after being out all morning and already had excellent responses.  Really appreciate it.

Hey Don, I see you've already gotten your answer. Just so you know, I have them on my rubber mount Pro Street and my solid mount 4-speed. They offer lees vibration, not more than the rubber ones. They're much better than stock. I used the Ness ones. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 02:35:36 PM »

Hey Don, I see you've already gotten your answer. Just so you know, I have them on my rubber mount Pro Street and my solid mount 4-speed. They offer lees vibration, not more than the rubber ones. They're much better than stock. I used the Ness ones. Hoist! 8)

That answer that you've all shared was my primary interest and concern.  Since the poly is denser/firmer than the rubber I was concerned more vibration might be transmitted back through the bars.  Had heard otherwise, but it was always anecdotal, had never actually asked anyone who I know had in fact used them.  Since I never had the only guidance I was really interested in was from someone who'd actually gone down the road with the pieces installed. 

Thanks again guys.  Will pick a set up before the front end gets worked over.

SID8D2

• Keep the Shinny Side Up
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride, Winter in the Midwest Sucks!!!!

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Black & Blue
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange & Black - Spooky
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 09:37:55 PM »

Hey Boatman;
  I just upgraded to the poly urathane bushings and the instructions said to tork the (2) bolts tp 12-16 ft lbs.
2009 Road Glide FLTRSE3 110ci;
Fullsac X-Pipe,
V&H Hi Output Mufflers,
Hawg Wired Dbl Shot,
Crank Welded, Trued, Balanced,
H-Beam Rods,
T-Man 110 Thumper Top End,
T-Man 662-2 Cams,
Woods Directional Lifters,
58mm SE Throttle Body,
TTS Mastertune, 
LePera Daddy Long Legs Seat, 
[img]http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4094.0;attach=138042;image[/i

radavi98

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 06:42:32 AM »

If its already apart, do it now.  You may feel a difference but its much better than to feel the rubber disintegrate as time progresses.  I added them to my 03 road king and it had a firmer feel, but no extra vibration.  Well worth the effort.
After all the money spent, I refuse to more on additional parts!!!   Except air filter, Exhaust, Power commander.........well, maybe a few more things.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 02:02:06 PM »

If its already apart, do it now.  You may feel a difference but its much better than to feel the rubber disintegrate as time progresses.  I added them to my 03 road king and it had a firmer feel, but no extra vibration.  Well worth the effort.

Thanks Rad.  That "over time" thing was the other part of the equation.  Even if the stockers are ok to begin with, and even if the poly's aren't a significant improvement, they are inexpensive and just short of permanent.  The rubber bushings wear slowly enough we don't even really notice it on a bike until one day you realize they are just shot.  So a prophylactic approach with a nearly permanent fix for less then two sawbuck wasn't a bad idea.  Thanks again everyone.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 04:26:30 PM »

to replace the old rubber bushings,,,, is all I have to do is remove them from the bottom?   does the ignition switch and cover have to come off as well???  I wasn't sure. It looked like it didn't.    Let me know...

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 04:50:26 PM »

to replace the old rubber bushings,,,, is all I have to do is remove them from the bottom?   does the ignition switch and cover have to come off as well???  I wasn't sure. It looked like it didn't.    Let me know...

Yes, remove the lower inner fairing cover, ignition switch, and 2 riser bolts.  Then just install the new poly's..  It helps to have an extra set of hands and cover everything up.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 04:54:36 PM »

thanks alot for the help..  i heard these really work well.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 02:36:41 PM »

Have never used the polyurethane riser bushings before.  Will have the nose of the red bike all apart in a couple of weeks or so changing legs.  Before that happens would be interested in descriptions of difference before and after from those that have actually used the poly bushings.  Do they feel better, worse or no difference?  Do they transmit vibration back up through the bars more.  Etc etc etc. 

I slipped them in my triple red along with the new one piece  clamp. Didn't notice any extra vibration and it gives  a very solid feel to the bike. I beleive you'll like it...Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 03:03:10 PM »

I slipped them in my triple red along with the new one piece  clamp. Didn't notice any extra vibration and it gives  a very solid feel to the bike. I beleive you'll like it...Greg

Put them in the SERG along with the handlebar change a couple weeks ago Greg.  Maybe a bit firmer.  Had a set in a drawer waiting for a place to go so it's not like I was out anything.  At least on this bike not a tremendous difference though.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 20 queries.