Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: HID Alternative---Dual HID bulbs for high and low beam  (Read 47990 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: HID Alternative---Dual HID bulbs for high and low beam
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »

Thanks Jim.  And you're really really right. Need to find a different bulb for the spots. 

Knew there'd be some difference in appearance.  Just couldn't know beforehand how much; and how ugly they'd be.  Fortunately the spots just widen the field rather than extending it so all I'm looking for now is just a good bright bulb with a blue hue to it.  Don't have to worry about anything expensive.  The headlights took care of that part.

Don, these are what I'm running in the spots: http://www.luminicsbulbs.com/881_bulbs.php

They're not perfect, as you can see in the photo, but they're a helluva lot closer that what comes stock.  Actually, to the naked eye, and when lighting up a wall along with the HID headlight, they're closer than what these photos depict. :nixweiss:

T MAC

• Elite CVO Member
  • FREEDOM

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - B/O
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2007, 11:00:13 AM »

Thanks for all the detail pics.  I upgraded my bulbs on my softail and it was a big difference.  I know changing these bulbs also allowed other drivers to see me better which is also a big plus.  I haven't been able to ride at night yet because of the weather so I don't know how the lights on my FLHTCUSE2 work.  If the sun doesn't come out soon I am going to have to move!   :2vrolijk_21: T MAC
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2007, 11:06:57 AM »

OK, dumb question time...... would this have worked with your stock headlight housing? I'd like to do something like the with the SERK, but i have a sealed bulb, not sure what the actual parts list i would need is

Neal, I'm pretty sure I remember my last Road King (2000 model) using an H4 bulb rather than a complete sealed beam.  There are companies out there that are now offering sealed beam replacements with the ignitors built in to the housing somehow.  Have also read of reliability issues with them.  Can't speak to real stats though.

If your's takes an H4 this same company I bought from has an H4 kit that uses this small ignitor.  They've even got an H4 dual kit that works for both high and low beam with the single bulb.  You can see the product here:

http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1349

If it is a sealed beam (I could've changed it out on the Road King and only be remembering how it ended up and not how it began) there are several options to swap the light housing itself within the nacelle.  Some are pretty good looking too.  If you have trouble finding something let me know and I'll dig back through the info I saved as I was looking for the ones I eventually found.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2007, 11:14:04 AM »

in about 99% sure its a seald unit
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2007, 11:15:08 AM »

Don, these are what I'm running in the spots: http://www.luminicsbulbs.com/881_bulbs.php

They're not perfect, as you can see in the photo, but they're a helluva lot closer that what comes stock.  Actually, to the naked eye, and when lighting up a wall along with the HID headlight, they're closer than what these photos depict. :nixweiss:

Thanks Brian.  I was going to call you today or tonight to ask about this.  Remembered that you'd paid more attention it than anyone else but couldn't find a thread that listed what you'd found.

Do you happen to remember the color temp of the bulbs you've got?  The place the new HID headlights came from actually offered several options but I chose the relatively standard 8000k blue color.  I have found this place ( http://www.automotivelightingusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_12&products_id=998 )offering a 6000k "pure blue" but was waiting to order until I'd spoken with you.

If your packaging didn't specify I might go ahead and get these.  Can then post some pics to compare against yours to see if one or the other of us would then have a better option.

Thanks  :2vrolijk_21:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2007, 11:19:02 AM »

Thanks Brian.  I was going to call you today or tonight to ask about this.  Remembered that you'd paid more attention it than anyone else but couldn't find a thread that listed what you'd found.

Do you happen to remember the color temp of the bulbs you've got?  The place the new HID headlights came from actually offered several options but I chose the relatively standard 8000k blue color.  I have found this place ( http://www.automotivelightingusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_12&products_id=998 )offering a 6000k "pure blue" but was waiting to order until I'd spoken with you.

If your packaging didn't specify I might go ahead and get these.  Can then post some pics to compare against yours to see if one or the other of us would then have a better option.

Thanks  :2vrolijk_21:

Don, I believe it does say on the packaging, but I can't remember what it said off-hand and the box is out at my mom & dad's.  I'll be out there later tonight, though, and will check it and let you know!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2007, 11:22:09 AM »

in about 99% sure its a seald unit

I probably changed it out on my Road King Neal.  So only remembering what was in it at the end rather than the beginning.  You'll still have options though.  Harley offers light housing replacement that accepts the H4.  Some of the Tri-Bar or other light housings have quite good optics, accept the single H4 and work within the nacelle.

There are direct bulb replacements anymore also.  Though any option involves removing the existing lamp.  That being so were I considering it I'd probably be interested in a housing that takes the H4 just because it would then keep the bulb and ignitor separate in case of later failure.  Get a sealed beam replacement with the ignitor all made in one unit and if either part fails you're buying everything.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2007, 11:23:47 AM »

Don, I believe it does say on the packaging, but I can't remember what it said off-hand and the box is out at my mom & dad's.  I'll be out there later tonight, though, and will check it and let you know!

Cool.  Thanks!   I'll wait to buy anything until you've had a chance to check so we can compare what they're supposed to be.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2007, 01:33:35 PM »

looks like the dual bulb is taller, wonder if this will be a clearance issue?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2007, 02:09:36 PM »

I was fortunate to have the mounting brackets that were part of the Hawg Wired amplifier installation already in place.  The ignitors are small enough and thin enough they could mount easily on the back side of those brackets.  Two sided tape is supplied.  I used wire ties also to make sure.

If the brackets and amp parts were out of the way there would be plenty of room to mount them against the inside of the inner fairing.  The company also supplies generic mounting brackets as part of their kit.  So you've got a variety of options.

With double sided foam tape, do you think sticking the ignitors to the inside of the fairing would be OK?

Chief

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2007, 02:27:44 PM »

With double sided foam tape, do you think sticking the ignitors to the inside of the fairing would be OK?

Chief

With foam tape I'd have worried (not have done it).  The two sided stuff included with the ignitors is that thinner nearly nuclear capable stuff that it takes a pry bar to remove something from.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2007, 02:29:03 PM »

looks like the dual bulb is taller, wonder if this will be a clearance issue?

Neal, again speaking to the housing I used in my last Road King I feel confident there would have been plenty of room.  There is a lot of depth there between the socket itself in the back and the glass/plastic in the front.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2007, 02:56:12 PM »

i was thinking rear protrusion back towards the neck of the frame

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2007, 05:47:12 PM »

i was thinking rear protrusion back towards the neck of the frame

I was obviously considering the other direction.  Thinking rearward, however, my first reaction would also be to expect enough room.  Basing it on how bar beyond the headlight bucket you have to reach in there to get at the rear most of the two little nuts that hold that top piece of trim on.  I seem to remember that being pretty deep.  Easy enough to find out though.  Call and ask them how deep the bulb is than yank the headlight bucket and see if it'll fit.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2007, 10:33:39 PM »

Cool.  Thanks!   I'll wait to buy anything until you've had a chance to check so we can compare what they're supposed to be.

Don, just got back.  Prolly oughta go with the ones you had scoped out.  The Lumincs Hyper White are only 5,150K.  If I'd have seen the ones you found, I'd have got those instead.  Maybe they just weren't out yet.  :nixweiss:  Anyways, I'll probably just go ahead and get some of those Luminics Pure Blue jobbies, myself. :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.