Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: HID Alternative---Dual HID bulbs for high and low beam  (Read 48346 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: HID Alternative---Dual HID bulbs for high and low beam
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2007, 02:43:32 PM »

Whats in take to get on the buy list?  :nixweiss:
I have the same HD HID as Brian does and would like to get my spots a cleaner lite  :2vrolijk_21:

jeffj

Jeff, I didn't see your post here until after I'd ordered the parts for Brian and I.  I'll call the vendor back and see if another set can get added on.  Price ended up being $16.00 per set mailed to me.  Priority mail on to you probably another five bucks or so.  Will see if another pair can be added on to the order and let you know.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2007, 04:07:52 PM »

Thanks, but we're having tacos for dinner tonight.  How 'bout some pizza instead? :nixweiss:

I can't believe you asked for that? :huepfenlol2:

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2007, 05:17:03 PM »

Jeff, I didn't see your post here until after I'd ordered the parts for Brian and I.  I'll call the vendor back and see if another set can get added on.  Price ended up being $16.00 per set mailed to me.  Priority mail on to you probably another five bucks or so.  Will see if another pair can be added on to the order and let you know.

Thanks Don, just let me know

jeffj

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2007, 05:39:29 PM »

I can't believe you asked for that? :huepfenlol2:

:oops:

:huepfenlol2:

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2007, 11:26:14 PM »

How long will this price be good for? Is it too late to get on the band wagon :confused5: I can send you paypal to cover everything including shipping + tacos.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2007, 12:09:14 AM »

How long will this price be good for? Is it too late to get on the band wagon :confused5: I can send you paypal to cover everything including shipping + tacos.

Mark, I've got to come clean here.  As good a deal as I thought 103 and I were scoring, I ended up screwing us out of a couple bucks a piece.

After seeing Jeff's post I emailed the company and got a phone call back from them.  Got some real nice kid on the phone.  He called me Mr. Carey.  The boy quickly explained that it was going to be ok and that the friend could get the same $16.00 price.  They sell on eBay too and that's the regular price there.  If you're buying more than one set it's even a little bit cheaper.

So as good a deal as I thought 103 and I had scored; well, we still did ok.   To get a pair for $16.00 go right here:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200084870061

I just checked and that's a currently active listing for some more of the lights.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2007, 08:11:31 AM »

Mark, I've got to come clean here.  As good a deal as I thought 103 and I were scoring, I ended up screwing us out of a couple bucks a piece.

. . .

Hey, Don, no worries!  I just appreciate you chasing these down for us! :2vrolijk_09:

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2007, 10:25:33 AM »

Hey, Don, no worries!  I just appreciate you chasing these down for us! :2vrolijk_09:

I must have missed something here.  Don, are these bulbs for the running lights and look good with the HID headlight?
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2007, 10:42:17 AM »

I must have missed something here.  Don, are these bulbs for the running lights and look good with the HID headlight?

That's it exactly Ernie.  Or at least that's the hope.  The color temp on the new headlights I put in is 8000k.  The Harley headlight (I was told by a local tech here who seemed to know what he was taking about) is about 7200k.

With either the stock spotlight bulbs come across as a harsh yellow in comparison.  My spotlight bulbs had been previously changed when one burned out.  I'd replaced them both with something brighter and "bluer" than the originals.  They still looked dull and ugly compared to the HID.

A bit of surfing found these 881 bulbs advertised as also being 8000k color temp.  Being from different mftrs of course they won't be a dead on match.  But they'll have to be much much closer.  And any suggestion of "blueness" is going to look a lot better setting side by side with the HID headlights.

For anyone with the Harley HID headlight I had a conversation yesterday with the tech at the local shop.  Asking what he'd done as I remembered his bike looking ok at night.  A nice match actually.  He said he'd tried 6000k bulbs and 8000k bulbs.  The 8000k bulbs looked better.  He described a tiny bit bluer looking much better than anything that was even a little bit yellower in comparison.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2007, 11:46:19 AM »

I was obviously considering the other direction.  Thinking rearward, however, my first reaction would also be to expect enough room.  Basing it on how bar beyond the headlight bucket you have to reach in there to get at the rear most of the two little nuts that hold that top piece of trim on.  I seem to remember that being pretty deep.  Easy enough to find out though.  Call and ask them how deep the bulb is than yank the headlight bucket and see if it'll fit.

stuck my hand behind the nacell today and theres about 1/2" behind the plug to the neck of the frame
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2007, 12:57:40 PM »

Group buy?  I'd be interested in both the headlight and the spots
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2007, 02:19:40 PM »

stuck my hand behind the nacell today and theres about 1/2" behind the plug to the neck of the frame

You're screwed.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2007, 02:28:59 PM »

Group buy?  I'd be interested in both the headlight and the spots

Ernie, the spot bulbs get through that eBay seller.  It was the same price for one as for several.

Which way are you thinking about for a HID headlight?  The Harley kit or the package like I just did in your existing housing?

I don't remember if you've got the original housing in yours or had changed to that dual bulb housing.  If you've changed to the dual bulb housing the lights I used allow use of a HID lamp for both high and low beam and those low power consumption digital ignitors.  Along with that it's also a less than half hour install.

If you've still go the H4 bulb in the stock single element housing look at that one Neal was illustrating earlier in this thread.  It would also allow dual beam HID function but with a bit more involved in the hook up.  Still not difficult.  But a bit more involved in wiring in a relay.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2007, 02:35:45 PM »

You're screwed.

looks like i would need to go with a dual bulb setup like you are running. could be a bigger budget then i want to put into the head light
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2007, 04:08:59 PM »

Don,

I have the stock H4 light.  I was thinking of the Bi-Xenon H4 for both high and low beams.  It's $324, but for 2 or more they list it at $304.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 22 queries.