Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Author Topic: HID Alternative---Dual HID bulbs for high and low beam  (Read 48342 times)

rc50won

• Please someone find me a hill and some turns
Re: HID Alternative---Dual HID bulbs for high and low beam
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2007, 09:20:40 PM »

Great thread. I think I am sold on the HID kit idea.

For spots I use Silverstar 893St's.  They are 38watts and throw a nice bright 4000k 990 lumens.  Wires are not running warm so the circuit seems to have no problem with them

http://www.sylvania.com/cgi-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=72&EXTRA_ARG=FILTERNAME%3D%2540URL%00%26FILTERVALUE%3Dwww%252Esylvania%252Ecom&host_id=42&page_id=3540224&query=893+st&hiword=893+st+

Marshall
'05 BMW R1200GS

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2007, 08:51:36 AM »

You think you're going to pull that extra deflector out of there?  Were I in the same boat I'm pretty sure I would.  It and the bulb's own hardware seem obviously redundant.

Did some experimenting and removing the deflector from the bulb itself is the way to go, leaving the HD deflector in the headlight. 
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2007, 12:07:37 PM »

Did some experimenting and removing the deflector from the bulb itself is the way to go, leaving the HD deflector in the headlight. 

Good to read Ernie.  Both of them seemed redundant in a way that had to hurt the light's display.  How was the projected beam effected by leaving just one reflector like normal?

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2007, 05:57:48 PM »

I definitely spread the light a lot more.  While I've only had it out at dusk and not full blown darkness, The light is a bit less focused and more spread out.  Plenty of light
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2007, 09:34:16 PM »

For the people that have done the HID's from Xtralights-

Would you get the blue "most popular"  or the white automotive if you did it again?

Going from an H4 bulb like Ernie, and getting HID high and low beams in the same bulb, will you have 1 or 2 ignitors?

Thanks, Bob

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2007, 10:21:37 PM »

Would you get the blue "most popular"  or the white automotive if you did it again?

Going from an H4 bulb like Ernie, and getting HID high and low beams in the same bulb, will you have 1 or 2 ignitors?

Thanks, Bob

Bob, with the H4 bulb you'll have one ignitor and a bulb that is basically two bulbs in one.  Also a little harness to go with the bulb to make it all work.  They've got a diagram on line to see what you'll be doing.  Simple affair.

The color choice is really just that.  A choice.  I went with what I did because I just liked the looks of it best.  The light down the road is going to be great in any case.

The downside to getting the headlight in the higher K color rating is that there's not a spotlight option to match it; at all.  So no matter how good you think the headlights look (separate from how well they perform) the spotlights look crappy hanging next to them.

To avoid that, or at least minimize it, go with lower K color bulbs.  It's either that or live with the dissimilarity.  (or get really anal about it and order a set of HID spotlights to match like those that will probably be here Monday or Tuesday......)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2007, 11:17:45 PM »

Thanks, Bob

For me, I'd go with the 4300 or 6000k,  I like the look of the 8000k, but the light is a bit too blue for me.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2007, 11:40:44 PM »

For me, I'd go with the 4300 or 6000k,  I like the look of the 8000k, but the light is a bit too blue for me.

Even though I chose the 8000k specifically because I liked the look best, it did take a little getting used to.  The color (separate from the brightness) is a cool enough color that your first reaction is that you must not be seeing everything.  You quickly realize that you are and acclimate to the difference.  You do in fact see fine.  But it is "different."

If I were doing it again I'd choose the lower color rating too.  Just because of the difference in the appearance of the spotlights.  It's great light no matter what.  But the spotlight thing is annoying.  And expensive.  Again.  Didn't realize it'd be like that to begin with though.... :oops:

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2007, 06:47:58 AM »

To avoid that, or at least minimize it, go with lower K color bulbs.  It's either that or live with the dissimilarity.  (or get really anal about it and order a set of HID spotlights to match like those that will probably be here Monday or Tuesday......)

;D ;D ;D

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2007, 09:51:41 PM »

67864-04

Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

The Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp features advanced reflector optics and separate bulbs for high and low beam functions.

Well that was waaaaay more than I wanted to spend on my headlight but it is all ordered now!
New HD twin bulb halogen set up & then the xtralights HID H9 conversion. From all your comments I know it will be worth it! :nervous:   I never ride much in the dark I suppose mainly because I couldn't see as well as I wanted to. I have tried many different halogen bulbs but all as you know they make very little difference over stock lighting.
Thanks especially to twolane for starting off this unexpected hole in my wallet!  :soapbox: (best part of 800 ozz $)

Cheers
Aussie
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 10:01:15 PM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2007, 09:57:59 PM »

Last questions fellows-

With the HID bulbs, are they as bright in the daylight as your old bulbs (so other people can see you)?

What do you do if you are on a trip and the bulb(s) fail or the ignitor fails?  Do you carry a spare HID bulb or do you carry an old style bulb to get you home?

I ordered a Bi-Xenon H4 kit (4300 white) from Hd-Dude tonight for my 05 and thought of these questions.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2007, 10:03:25 PM »

Last questions fellows-

With the HID bulbs, are they as bright in the daylight as your old bulbs (so other people can see you)?

What do you do if you are on a trip and the bulb(s) fail or the ignitor fails?  Do you carry a spare HID bulb or do you carry an old style bulb to get you home?

I ordered a Bi-Xenon H4 kit (4300 white) from Hd-Dude tonight for my 05 and thought of these questions.

Bob, from all the reliability stats (industry, mftr, consumer, etc) the reliability on the various HID components and bulbs is supposed to be much much greater than standard bulbs.  Given that I'm not carrying a spare bulb for the headlight now.  There is some level of insurance provided by having the dual bulb housing here.  If one fails you've still got another bright light.  But given their suggested MTBF and their relative costs, combined with having separate bulbs in the nose for redundancy, a spare set of parts seems overkill to me.

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2007, 10:12:10 PM »

One of the reasons I went HID is its life rating. They're rated in the thousands of hours while a halogens life span is rated in the hundreds. That and try to find an H9 bulb while on the road.
Ask me how I know. :(
All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2007, 10:14:44 PM »

Thanks 2Lane and 05Ultra on the life of the HID's-

Do you think you are visible to others with these bulbs?

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2007, 10:56:46 PM »

Last questions fellows-

My girlfriend actually commented that people seem to see us during the day now and I'm no longer getting cut off.  MAJOR reason to go HID!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 22 queries.