Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seat Studs  (Read 1771 times)

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
Seat Studs
« on: May 22, 2018, 06:48:42 PM »

Curious if my bike is broken or if some designers are just stupid.

Yesterday I was installing my new Mustang seat and the seat studs "fell out" of the holes into the wheel well. Is that supposed to be detached like that or is mine broken some how?  I had to have a girlfriend of mine use her small hands to reach up under the rear tire well and hold it in place so I could attach the screws to the damn thing and hold the seat on!!  WTF?

Anyone else had this issue?
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
Re: Seat Studs
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 07:19:52 PM »

There should be a nylon washer that holds the bolt in place when you remove the seat.

part number 7434 WASHER 1/4 X 1-29/64 X 1/16 NYLON $1.60
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 02:55:00 PM »

Thanks Serdvd6!  Yes, I had the nylon washers, but they weren't tight enough to withstand the "pushing" to put the new seat on.  I ended up using them (the existing) but I was supposed to switch them out with the Mustang provided washers...which I ended up not using due to the challenges.

Is this a Road King thing or are all the touring bikes the same?  Maybe one day I'll have someone tack weld the plate onto the fender!
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

zellerdude

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King FLHRSE5
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 10:48:55 PM »

One side of the bar with the studs fell through on mine and somehow got swung around inside. It would not swing back so I could put my finger in the hole on the one side and push it back through. Took it to a dealer on a Saturday and the first thing the Service Manager says is, "Looks like we're gonna have to take off the back tire!". I told him, no, I'm sure one of the mechanics can figure it out. They put a scope inside the hole and the other stud that was stuck inside was caught on some wires. Pushed the stud that was remaining above the fender down a bit and the stud inside freed up and swung back around so it could come up back through the hole. Since this was the second time it had fallen through I bought 2 new nylon washers and they hold much tighter. Not a great design. I think tacking it to the fender might be a good idea to keep from having to deal with this again!

They didn't charge me for it, just a hassle. Your GF must have some tiny hands and arms to get underneath the fender to do that!

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 11:30:15 PM »

Thanks Serdvd6!  Yes, I had the nylon washers, but they weren't tight enough to withstand the "pushing" to put the new seat on.  I ended up using them (the existing) but I was supposed to switch them out with the Mustang provided washers...which I ended up not using due to the challenges.

Is this a Road King thing or are all the touring bikes the same?  Maybe one day I'll have someone tack weld the plate onto the fender!
I believe all the touring bikes use that, it’s the same on my street glide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

Mutt

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 03:34:24 AM »

My dealer warned me about it before it could happen to me. If I remember, I believe it’s a 1/4-20 bolt. I went to Ace hardware and found a thin 1/4-20 nut. I bought a couple along with a new bolt for a couple bucks. I used 2 on the new bolt and tightened them together with part of one of the nut hanging off the end a little and then used a dremel to grind the nut even thinner. Once I had 2 of those, I just tightened them onto the seat studs permanently. My seat rests on top of the new nuts, but I can push as hard as I want and not worry about the seat studs falling through the holes.

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.