Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: CVO LIMITED 117 (loss of power)  (Read 8761 times)

1Riseaboveit

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

CVO LIMITED 117 (loss of power)
« on: May 28, 2018, 09:12:27 PM »

Well, I just bought a 2018 CVO Limited. I love this scooter so far, but...

Today, while riding for about an hour, I notice it seems to sound different and lost a little bit of power. It has 400 miles on it. The throttle response is hesitant and it doesn't want to accelerate like it should.

The bike is completely stock except the baffles in the mufflers have been removed.

Is it "Sumping"???

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: CVO LIMITED 117 (loss of power)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 09:41:39 PM »

Today, while riding for about an hour, I notice it seems to sound different and lost a little bit of power. It has 400 miles on it. The throttle response is hesitant and it doesn't want to accelerate like it should.

The bike is completely stock except the baffles in the mufflers have been removed.

Is it "Sumping"???

Hard to tell on that limited description but its highly likely that it is sumping.

1Riseaboveit

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 09:47:44 PM »

I ran it pretty hard up to 110mph. When I went back to 70 you could hear a difference in the exhaust. The engine sputtered when you hit the throttle and feels sluggish. A definite loss in power and/Or acceleration.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 09:50:30 PM »

I just had a similar experience on a trip. It was not pulling uphill the way I expected. All of a sudden I had a complete failure/shutdown on a straightaway. My Crank Position Sensor went bad on me with 2671 miles on the bike. Sensor replaced under warranty and all's good again. YMMV. Unfortunately, that may or may not be what you are experiencing and HD normally won't look at this sort of thing until there is a catastrophic failure.

jjkrueg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
CVO LIMITED 117 (loss of power)
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 02:02:32 PM »

I ran it pretty hard up to 110mph. When I went back to 70 you could hear a difference in the exhaust. The engine sputtered when you hit the throttle and feels sluggish. A definite loss in power and/Or acceleration.
Are you supposed to run those kind of rpm’s when still under the break in mileage?  If I remember no full throttle acceleration or rpm over 3500 in the first 500 miles. Running it hard up to 110 probably checked both of those off the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 02:10:30 PM »

Are you supposed to run those kind of rpm’s when still under the break in mileage?  If I remember no full throttle acceleration or rpm over 3500 in the first 500 miles. Running it hard up to 110 probably checked both of those off the list.

It doesn't matter if he did it before or after 500 miles, the engine shouldn't sump either way. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jjkrueg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 02:16:22 PM »

It doesn't matter if he did it before or after 500 miles, the engine shouldn't sump either way. 

Jerry
That’s true but we also don’t know it’s sumping either. He said sputtering issues, sumped engines won’t sputter will they? 

I didn’t mean to infer that the op caused the issues & I’m sure there are many schools of thought on break in procedures but I guess I’m a sheep & just follow the manufactures guidelines, right or wrong.

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 02:38:57 PM »

Is it "Sumping"???
not good from what many have witnessed.

1Riseaboveit

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 06:14:11 PM »

I ended up taking my scooter to the local dealer. They have checked it out and are replacing the oil pump.

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 08:18:25 PM »

I ended up taking my scooter to the local dealer. They have checked it out and are replacing the oil pump.

Sounds like the start of a great relationship!   :nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 08:39:56 AM »

Read some of the other "sumping" threads around here and become as informed as possible about this problem and the proper way to check for damage.  Just replacing the oil pump without also doing a full inspection for internal engine damage is NOT the right way to address this problem. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

chinashop bull

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 02:03:40 AM »

Read some of the other "sumping" threads around here and become as informed as possible about this problem and the proper way to check for damage.  Just replacing the oil pump without also doing a full inspection for internal engine damage is NOT the right way to address this problem. 

Jerry

I disagree.  Even if sumping caused he slight lack of power no damage would occur unless power kept reducing and he kept on pushing it.

My stg 2 CVO has sumped twice - noticeable loss of power after fast running.  No damage was sustained.  At any rate, dealer will get a chance to review any damage when they change the pump.  That's what my dealer did.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 07:00:57 AM »

I disagree.  Even if sumping caused he slight lack of power no damage would occur unless power kept reducing and he kept on pushing it.

My stg 2 CVO has sumped twice - noticeable loss of power after fast running.  No damage was sustained.  At any rate, dealer will get a chance to review any damage when they change the pump.  That's what my dealer did.

Damaged caused from sumping can only be determined by removing heads and cylinders to check free rotation if crank and rods as prescribed in SB1450. How much damage was caused is determined by how long it ran in sumped conditions, how many times it sumped and how hot it ran. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 08:25:18 AM by Heatwave »

chinashop bull

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 07:14:53 AM »

Damaged caused from sumping can only be determined by removing heads and cylinders to check free rotation if crank and rods as prescribed in SB1450. How much damage was caused is determined by how ling it ran in sumped conditions, how many times it sumped and how hot it ran.

Yes, I would've asked dealer to follow 1450 as you state above if I suspected my motor sustained any damage.  In both instances, normal power and operation returned after a long idle followed by a cool down.

Anyhoo, how's your 4th engine going?  I keep watching your other thread for an update.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 08:26:33 AM »

Yes, I would've asked dealer to follow 1450 as you state above if I suspected my motor sustained any damage.  In both instances, normal power and operation returned after a long idle followed by a cool down.

Anyhoo, how's your 4th engine going?  I keep watching your other thread for an update.

4th engine continues to run great. It now has over 1500 miles on it.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.