CVO Technical > Cleaning/Detailing

how to apply touch up paint

(1/4) > >>

hdrider53:
I posted this in the general discussion section and then saw this detail your bike page.

Just curious if anyone has a goof proof way of using the HD touch up paint.
It's to cover up a small scratch about as wide as the thin end of a toothpick and about 1 ince long.
Its on a 20 SE Purple RK on the front fender.  I just dont want to make it look worse or obviously covered up.

110tHunDer:

hdrider, I went ahead and yanked the duplicate post in the general section since this is probably the more appropriate location.

I'll be looking forward to the replies you get since I have a rock chip in my fairing that I've put off doing anything to, since like you, I don't want to make it look worse than it already does.  That's easy to do when using touch up paint!

Fired00d:
Check out this post - Touch Up Paint or?? for a method of applying touch up paint.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

RJ749:

--- Quote from: hdrider53 on March 06, 2007, 09:00:44 PM ---I posted this in the general discussion section and then saw this detail your bike page.

Just curious if anyone has a goof proof way of using the HD touch up paint.
It's to cover up a small scratch about as wide as the thin end of a toothpick and about 1 ince long.
Its on a 20 SE Purple RK on the front fender.  I just dont want to make it look worse or obviously covered up.

--- End quote ---

I saw d00d posted the link to Garz's method, it looks very good.  But, since I had typed this out I'll leave it here.  It is virtually the same method.

I will begin by figuring you have the correct paint.

A painter with the correct expensive brush would be able to flow the paint in very effectively.  With cars (Porsches included) we have a touch up service that air brushes in color for the type of scratch you describe, I imagine you can find one of the guys in your area through a car dealer, preferably a high end car dealer that would be more particular than a used car lot for example.

Outside help aside, if I am personally filling a scratch on my ride or a customer's I have found the best way to flow paint into a scratch or rock chip is with a paper match.  Burnish the scratch, a pencil eraser will work, then tear the match from the book and use the torn end as a brush.  It will accept a small amount of paint, hold it with your thumb and forefinger and when placed near the scratch, barely touching, it will flow the paint into it with the slightest of movement of your fingers.

If you use too much paint or get excess outside the scratch wipe it off with a clean finger, keep some thinner near to clean your finger.  Let it dry thoroughly (overnight or longer), repeat as necessary until filled and then you can rub it with some compound.  Be patient, the paint has to dry between applications.

My guess is with the purple however it won't match all that well leaving a dark, filled in scratch.  That is why I would try to find the airbrusher locally.  They aren't terribly expensive and do a great job.  You may even find a bodyshop that would do it if there isn't a service available in your area.

Twolanerider:

--- Quote from: 103tHunDer on March 06, 2007, 09:22:17 PM ---
hdrider, I went ahead and yanked the duplicate post in the general section since this is probably the more appropriate location.

I'll be looking forward to the replies you get since I have a rock chip in my fairing that I've put off doing anything to, since like you, I don't want to make it look worse than it already does.  That's easy to do when using touch up paint!

--- End quote ---

You just got one?  How the hell did you avoid all the other bits going down the road. 

I counted the divots in the red bikes fairing last Friday night.  Large and small I stopped at 23!  Some right in the gold or orange stripes too (no touch up bottles for those colors).  Most of the touch up jobs are decent on it but when you got divots on top of divots in a couple of places it begins to look pretty raggety. 

And you just got one....  That ain't right man  :huepfenlol2: .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version