Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: How many miles do you drive/ride to work???  (Read 8388 times)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: How many miles do you drive/ride to work???
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 04:03:39 PM »

i have to agree about the download thing. i have the ability to work in an office in my home town. but i choose to work 20+ miles away. working that close gave me no chance to relax and unwind on the way home. that and it was a total chit hole
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 05:42:53 PM »

I guess you have to look at several things here:

1) Do you enjoy driving, so long as it's not in traffic? (nobody I know likes to sit in traffic)
2) Are you going to have to drive a vehicle that you really don't want to put those kind of miles on in the 2-3 years?
3) Is there enough money involved to justify the added expense of traveling....OR
4) Even if the money is not there yet, will it help you get there somewhere down the road in your career?
5) Is it all about money?
6) Will you have more job satisfaction, regardless of the money?

I work in HRM in a dept with over 1800 employees, and I am directly involved in all phases of their compensation, benefits, etc.  Money is a good thing, but I can name countless times when I have seen the FACT that money alone has little to do with job satisfaction.  Sure, it works...but only temporarily.  Few people I've ever known get to earn a paycheck at something they really and truly are passionate about and LOVE to do.  A person doesn't need to LOVE their job, but they damn sure don't need to HATE going there every day either.  Some middle ground is healthy in every regard. 

Just my 2 cents...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 09:09:53 PM »

Hey, I knew I could count on the members of this site for some excellent input! :2vrolijk_21:  Thanks for all the comments.  They've all be extremely helpful . . . . keep 'em coming!!!

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 04:48:38 AM »

Well i can walk to work its maybe one mile or so.But I have to fly twice a week for an hour to be able to go to the offices in Istanbul.If i wanted to ride it would be about 400 miles one way.Am i qualified as the longest commuter? :drink:
Ridin Legend

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 03:15:26 PM »

I’ve ridden a motorcycle to work everyday since Mar 2002; however I realize the weather in Illinois is a little different than in my area.  The longest commute was 95 miles round trip for about 2 years, but currently is only 50 miles round trip.  The key for me to accomplish this is that the commuter bike can’t be one that has to be kept immaculate, or even shine, all the time.  The constant road grime and parking structure slime makes whatever vehicle you take to work dirty, not to mention subject to rock chips and other road dings.  I’ve had a few Sportys and older Big Twins that I was NOT passionate about keeping spotless, and that made life bearable.  The few times I’ve taken the SEEG or other obsessive object to work, I couldn’t wait to it wipe down and thoroughly polish.  OCD maybe?  Anyway, with a good, reliable old beater or commuter bike, you could go home after work and not obsess about the petty stuff; or pet the sweaty stuff.  Whatever pulls your trigger. 

Obviously, you’ll be driving a 4-wheel vehicle many times which will eat up more gas $ and wear-and-tear, but knowing the situation will be over in 2-3 years would make it more palatable.  I’d commute.

Good luck with your decision.

Panhead Jimmy 
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2007, 08:09:12 PM »

BRIAN IF ITS ONLY A TEMP THING FOR 2-3 YEARS YOUR PROBALY GOOD. TIME GOES BY SO FAST, IM SURE EVERYDAY YOU WISHED YOU HAD MORE TIME TO GET MORE THINGS DONE, HAVE FUN, AND HAVE MORE QUALITY TIME WITH FAMILY. ALSO REMEMBER THE MORE YOU MAKE THE MORE YOU SPEND, AND WE ONLY LIVE ONCE. GOOD LUCK!
                                                                                             TAKE CARE   DAVE
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2007, 01:36:16 AM »

I'm about 6 miles from work.  I've always tried to be close.  I guess the military kinda trained me that way.  Like other posts say I wpuld think it would get old after a while.  I like the idea of getting a place for a few nights a week.  Things to consider are also weather you could encouter and the $$ of the F>>>>> gas goig up and up. If you have a economic vehicle then thatis a plus.  Good luck.   Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2007, 08:45:16 AM »

I've always been a minimum of a half hour drive time. 05-06 I did a 80 mile each way commute for a special project, we worked 4-10's tuesday through friday, I loved that, 3 day weekend every week. I was driving what is considered one of the most dangerous stretches of interstate in the country. Lots of accidents, (I lost a co worker to a fatal traffic accident). But, after the preliminary work was done we had to go to 24/7's so only one day a week off and you work 6-12's, this is done for 3-4 months. I commuted on the 4 day work week, when the 6-12's came, I got an apartment close and came home once a week. I also like to drive, I got perdiem so the fuel was no problem. So, if you dont mind driving and it is highway, what the hell. Believe me, if its a normal work day its not bad. Long hours working and then long hours behind the wheel can be very dangerous.

In the 4 day work week, I rode the bike on friday. It was great, I'd take the long way. So, long and short of it, be careful. And Hey, lets have fun out there!

:2vrolijk_21:
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2007, 11:07:01 PM »

The length of my commute depends on whether or not I get coffee from the kitchen before I go to the office.  If I got to the office first, it's about 25 to 30 feet.  If I go for the coffee, I'm up to about 45 to 50 feet.  I've had a home office for about 9 years now and would hate to go back to commuting.  When I do have to see a customer at 7:30 or 8:00 in the morning, I'm reminded of how much I enjoy having my office in my home and how much I hate fighting morning rush hour traffic.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 04:14:30 AM »

I have in my past had any where from one to six hour commutes.  I don't think it matters as much about the total miles as it does the total time and the stress factor of that time. 
I used to drive into Brussels every day, and it was a balls to the wall ride until around one big sweeping corner that you could not see around, a sudden stop, and crawl for the last 40 minutes. For years I'd wake in the middle of the night crying and crying out - "I can't stop!" But I taught myself to slow down a little, and got into listening to audio books.  Could really make the time enjoyable.
Driving into DC on I-95 SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that was the up to six hour commute.  Usually I drive about 32 miles, if I leave on time it is only 40 minutes.  If I leave late (several minutes) it is an hour to an hour and a half.  If I have to go from home to DC, it is 135 miles and can be as little as 2 1/2 hours, but can be up to 4 - 6 hours. 
Over an hour, takes a big toll on you, your body, your mind, your soul, your vehicle, the chores around the house and your ties with your family.  Can you do it?  Of course.  Especially if you can see the end in sight.  Would it be better not to?  Of course, but we all do what we have to do to get what ever it is we feel we need to get.  Good luck in whatever choice you make. 

And Chip, there is no way I'd want to ride around 400 miles a day for work.  I do like it when we get 400 mile days on our bikes ---------- so I guess as long as the scenerary is worth it, even that could be doable.   ;)

hogasm

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 05:18:57 PM »

Work on the island here has gone downhill for the last couple of years. Now I have to drive about 70-75 miles each way to get to job sites.
On the island when I was runnin service calls I would pile up the miles. Lets see my 97 Ford E-350 diesel has 513,000 miles on it today. That's about 51,000 miles a year, and I only work 4 days a week.
Just sold my personal truck a 2004 F-250 that was 18 months old and had 96,000 miles on it.

DAMN I hate to drive :nixweiss:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2007, 09:39:32 PM »

Thanks again for all the replies here, everyone!  You've given me a lot of food for thought.

Last weekend, we spent Sunday cruising around the target city, looking at about a dozen homes we found on www.realtor.com.  I have to say, in the price range we were looking at, which is about twice what we paid for our current home 6 years ago, we did not see a single thing that piqued our interest. :nixweiss:  It was really disappointing.  While I haven't necessarily given up on the idea of moving yet, the first unofficial house-hunting trip did not look too promising.

On the other hand, if I were to drive I'd have to purchase something more economical.  There's no way I want to pour gas into a 4x4 HEMI Ram (14 mpg) or even a 300C (22 mpg) 2 or 3 times a week and I'm waaaaaaay too anal with the SEEG to subject it to that sort of abuse.  I'm thinkin' Honda Civic or something along those lines (35+ mpg).  I ran some numbers, and it would actually be about $200/month cheaper to have a car payment and put gas in something like that vs. filling the truck up with $200 or so worth of fuel every week.  The other good part about buying something else is then my truck (which I love dearly) lasts a lot longer before I have to replace it, so maybe that's not all bad.

We'll see.  I have yet to get the official job offer, but I am continuing to think about what would be best for me and the family if/when we do.  Thanks again for your contributions to the thread.  You've all been very helpful! :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2007, 09:49:59 PM »

Brian...Suzanne is going to soon be in the market for a new car, and with her work needs something economical but comfortable too.  We're liking the Toyota Matrix (pick you level of goodies) and also the Prius.  The car thing and fuel milage would be a big thing if I were in your shoes...you've got to be comfortable for the commute, but need decent milage too...power is relatively secondary in that equation, IMO.

Good luck with your decisions!!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

UglyJohn

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2007, 11:28:02 PM »

Hummm..... about 2.5 miles to work as a crow flys. On a bad day I walk to work. Many times, its more than 10 or 15 miles depending on the route. After a crappy day at work, sometimes it'll take an hour or more to get home. Seems like I always go the long way home.
Ugly John
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2007, 12:04:35 AM »

The length of my commute depends on whether or not I get coffee from the kitchen before I go to the office.  If I got to the office first, it's about 25 to 30 feet.  If I go for the coffee, I'm up to about 45 to 50 feet.  I've had a home office for about 9 years now and would hate to go back to commuting.  When I do have to see a customer at 7:30 or 8:00 in the morning, I'm reminded of how much I enjoy having my office in my home and how much I hate fighting morning rush hour traffic.

I'm @ 20 feet w/o coffee, 30 with!
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.