Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I know its not a CVO but .....  (Read 1088 times)

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
I know its not a CVO but .....
« on: September 26, 2018, 04:05:27 PM »

I know there are a lot of very knowledgeable and experienced helpful members on here so hope you can help?

My girlfriend bought a new 2018 Softail Street Bob with a 107 M8 back in July. As part of the deal she had a dealer fitted Stage 1 with a Round High Flow Air Cleaner. We noticed an oil leak from the bottom of the filter that was depositing oil on the rear exhaust heat shield and the right hand side panel. This was flagged up to the dealer at the 1000 mile service and they said they had fixed it. It then carried on doing it but worse so we got the dealer to collect the bike as a matter of urgency as we were going away on a 1500 mile trip. They did and completely replaced the air filter and returned the bike. We thought this had fixed it but on our road trip it started doing it again. The dealer has taken the bike away again but says its bizarre and don't seem to know what the problem is!

My question is where is this oil coming from? My understanding is that the engine breathes into the air cleaner but it must be doing it excessively for it to find its way out under normal riding conditions and deposit it down the side of the bike!! Any help or advice will be very welcome.

Dave
Using Tapatalk

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: I know its not a CVO but .....
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 04:11:06 PM »

probably not what you want to hear, but it is very common to have this after fitting a high flow ac.  the most common consensus and 'cure' is to lower the amount of oil in the engine.  instead of filling it up to the top hatch on the dipstick, go to the halfway mark.  i've personally had 7 harleys and this has worked on every one of them.  but, full disclosure, the newest one i have is a 2013.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.