Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Doherty PowerPACC Question  (Read 11191 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Doherty PowerPACC Question
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 11:25:27 AM »

Howie....mine had not done it since my last oil change at 10K, as I was just making short runs, but on the way to Hot'Lanta to get the forks done, I was running between 80-90 some of the time.  It puked a bit out...not much, like you say.  It must have met it's own equilibrium, as it did not do it again after that, and I ran at some higher speeds the following day.  I think we all have a tendency to want to keep 'em up to the full mark with oil, but they really like it better a bit low...doesn't hurt a thing.

I only noticed it after about a 50 mile stint, at highway speeds between 60 and 100 mph. The 6-speed's great for break-in, allowing speeds that high, and never exceeding 3800 rpm! I'm still going up and down between 2000 and 3800 rpm. It wasn't until I started bringing the revs this high for longer periods, that I noticed any puking. Like you said, oil level is one thing that might control it. But I don't like my filter covered in dirty motor oil. That's why I think I'll reroute the breather lines to beneath the frame. I'd rather have it on the ground than in my filter or on my saddlebags! My other to bikes are vented that way, straight out of the crankcase. What's a few more oil spots on the ground! Hey, it's a Harley and I don't mind it marking it's territory, as long as it's a normal quantity! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 02:42:57 PM »

DPP update. Powervents started puking yesterday. A little oil puking from A/C assembly. Time to route the hose from the backplate to the ground, like the good old days! Might try the MistFree's when I do the cams and clearance the rocker boxes. But I'm keeping it for that S&S cover. I'll just puke on the floor instead of my right saddlebag! ;) Hoist! 8)

LD started pukin oil Saturday. This after 2,500 miles high and dry since I put the Doherty on it. Anyone heard anything about taking the power vents apart every so many miles and cleaning them ?

B B

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 03:42:26 PM »

LD started pukin oil Saturday. This after 2,500 miles high and dry since I put the Doherty on it. Anyone heard anything about taking the power vents apart every so many miles and cleaning them ?

B B

B B...per Doherty, the Powervents should be taken off every 7500 miles (or more often, if necessary) and cleaned in warm soapy water, then shaken out and reinstalled.  Do NOT blow out with compressed air, as this can damage them.  Reinstall with 10 ft lbs of TQ on the breather bolts.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 05:05:29 PM »

The PowerVents look to be nicely made parts.  I'm still not sure the entire concept isn't in error (and a bit overengineered) though.

The MystFree thing inside the rockers makes perfect sense (at least to me).  That's where it all starts after all.  But after it gets outside the head (assuming it gets outside the head) anything that just traps the waste is eventually going to get full.  Doesn't matter how efficient or effective it might be until that time.  Eventually it'll reach it's max point of collection and then the oil will have to start going someplace.

With their breather kit supplied as part of the "103 Muscle Kit" Zippers only supplied a couple of 90 degree nipples.  Put them on, point them down and you're done.  No trap or capture function of any kind.  Dumb idea if there's any hint at all of any drip at all.  Because it can't have anyplace to go other than right down on the motor.

The various vent/capture/filter systems that trap vented oil outside the head seem to just put off the inevitable.  If you've got an engine that's never puking any oil anyway the parts will work fine.  But they're also unnecessary.

If you are losing even a little bit of oil out the heads then eventually you'll reach the carrying capacity of whatever is catching.  So why not let gravity work with you rather than against and do it simple.

The (stupid) 90 degree nipples that Zippers uses and I've seen others need to point straight down.  If they pointed up then, someday, it would rain inside your motor.  If they pointed up, however, there'd still be a vent for the crankcase vent pressure to escape (just like it's supposed to) but gravity would keep the oil drops in the motor.  The gasses would be pushed out.  But there's not enough pressure behind it to force the oil uphill beyond the nipple.

So...  a different nipple.  Something that turns uphill then turns a second 90 degree turn to point over under the tank.  Vapors still vent to atmosphere (just like always).  But oil drops don't have enough pressure behind them to run uphill and past two separate curves.

So...  the idea seemed good.  Looked for the part in something chromed and attractive.  Finally found it at Kuryakyn.  So far anyway it seems to have fixed the dripping problem on the red bike.  Almost too simple not to work.  And, while overpriced for what you're buying, still a whole lot cheaper than the other options.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=Harley&ci=3368
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 05:07:59 PM by Twolanerider »

hogasm

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 05:16:46 PM »

Just bought the Doherty Power Pacc. I don't like the filter element. Seems cheep, and is so large that I am going to have to wue the stock breather cover just to cover the filter element.

Hope it does what you guys said it will do. Let you know in a few days when these damn electrical connectors[for the throttle body] come in from Harley and I can get her back together.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 08:00:16 PM »

B B...per Doherty, the Powervents should be taken off every 7500 miles (or more often, if necessary) and cleaned in warm soapy water, then shaken out and reinstalled.  Do NOT blow out with compressed air, as this can damage them.  Reinstall with 10 ft lbs of TQ on the breather bolts.

So one more thing to do maintenance on you say. Just what I needed. This need for speed has it's downside that's for sure

B B

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2007, 05:30:47 PM »

I meant to ask if anyone else had seem these vents clogg up after just 2,000 miles ?

B B

hogasm

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2007, 07:32:45 PM »

Big B,   I installed one yesterday. I have just over 500 miles so far.   Will keep you posted

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2007, 07:35:43 PM »

Big B,   I installed one yesterday. I have just over 500 miles so far.   Will keep you posted

Thanks Brian,
                   I'm thinkin it's got something to do with riding style and I know you ride similar to me ( just faster cause your bikes are faster)

B B

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2007, 08:45:53 AM »

B B....took my cover off yesterday while doing some other work on the bike and had the filter out to see what was going on.  Filter was just a bit saturated on the very bottom, but nothing out of the ordinary.  Pulled the two hoses off the PowerVents just to see what came out...nothing came out of the vents themselves, and a few drops of oil came out of the clear tubes, so I wiped out the little bit of oil on the filter, turned it 180 degrees, and buttoned it back up.  I changed oil at 10K and installed the Doherty then...bike now has 12K on it...I didn't have any oil blow for the first 1K, but all that riding was local 2 lanes at moderate speeds.  Then I went to Atlanta to get the forks reworked, and ran pretty hard getting over there...that's when it started puking a bit of oil.  Enough to get on the pipes and of course the cam cover on the way over to Hot'Lanta.  Wiped it off at a gas stop, just a few drops after that.  I'm thinking it's two things...too much oil in the crankcase, so it got rid of a little of it till it found it's happy spot, which on mine seems to be just a third of a quart below full, and running 90-100mph exaserbates the situation.  I'm headed to Thunder Beach Thursday, so will see if it's still doing it then....I suspect not.

Tim at Doherty told me that when we drain our oil, there's always a bit "lurking" in there, so never put more than 3.5 quarts in, then check to see how it does.  He's probably right on the money, as quite a few ounces of oil could remain in the pan, cooler, etc.  I don't think we notice it with the way HD breathers put the mist back into the TB opening...more a direct puking into the venturi of the TB.  The Doherty vent hoses, as you know, come in on the bottom rear of the machined backplate, so any liquids gather in the bottom of the filter instead of getting sucked into the air supply and burned.

I like the filter, so I'm going to see how it does after it seems to have reached a point it likes.  By the way, the Vents were still working just fine.

TTS Mastertune

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 12:15:03 PM »

I put doherty PP on and the AC cover vibrates pretty bad around 4k rpm. anyone else have this? ( yes have 06 stock AC football with spacer provided by doherty) john
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2007, 12:37:23 PM »

I put doherty PP on and the AC cover vibrates pretty bad around 4k rpm. anyone else have this? ( yes have 06 stock AC football with spacer provided by doherty) john

John, no problem with mine, but I kept the thick gasket from the previous SE A/C I had on there, and put the spacer on, so that might be helping a bit  :nixweiss:  It's that thick gasket.

Another one of HD's ingenious designs was to make a cover that wont' fit a round A/C that 90% of their customers end up installing.  Go figure.

If somebody would come out with a cover that has a Screamin' Eagle likes on ours or some variation of that theme, I'd be all over it.  The one like Don has, for instance... ::)

TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2007, 12:59:23 PM »

I have one with the S&S backplate and cover. No problems with that at all. Also, at higher speeds most of the day yesterday, I had very little puking too. I think Terry hit it on the head about oil level. I was puking more when the oil level was high. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2007, 05:36:34 PM »

I have one with the S&S backplate and cover. No problems with that at all. Also, at higher speeds most of the day yesterday, I had very little puking too. I think Terry hit it on the head about oil level. I was puking more when the oil level was high. Hoist! 8)

You know this business of oil levels might be the crux of the matter. Normally I pull my plugs and roll my motor over a few times to drain all the oil from the system before I put the clean in. I didn't on my last change and now that I think of it, my fancy schmancy dipstick was tellin me my oil level was high. Maybe that thing's smarter than me 

B B

hogasm

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2007, 05:53:40 PM »

John I had that problem for about 10 miles, then it bugged the tar out of me and the situation was taken care of.

2 pieces of dense rubber, the same used to mount air conditioning units on to prevent vibration. Cut the thickness to .75" thick. Piece of 2 sided tape on the air cleaner and the rattles were gone :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.