Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Doherty PowerPACC Question  (Read 11192 times)

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Doherty PowerPACC Question
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2007, 09:41:29 PM »

Just wanted to post this about the Power Pacc. On return from Rolling Thunder  on Sunday was on I95 in Richmond at about 75mph and hit "speed bump", here buzzing noise then rattling. Looked down and saw that AC cover and filter completely gone. Found mile or two back up road in about three pieces ( this is the new Chrome badass cover i posted in SEUC under air cleaner cover 2). The back plate had mount bolt screws sheer off. (see pix).So don't know if heavier custom cover put undue stress or just POS bolt mounts. Anyway, you might want to check yours! John
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2007, 04:26:27 PM »

Actually, it's confession time here. I may well have been one of the 1st to use this product in my area 4 years ago. Gave up on it because of issues with bolts snapping off. Tim Doherty was good about it back in those days and shipped me replacement parts free. Now he charges $30 for some button head screws. Not sure what that says, but my guess is he got tired of shipping out lots and lots of bolts and stand-offs etc. I still believe in the product as a performance mod, but would not argue that it does have it's problems. I;ve got one on LD and am happy with it so far, but I've changed the bolts to socket heads where I could. I think button heads are worthless as a fastener. What I believe is the cure is to make sure you use lots of Locktite when installing and check to make sure all hardware is tight on occasion. I think what happens is when the bolts loosen just a bit then the vibration starts which snaps them. 

just my $0.02

« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 04:28:11 PM by SPIDERMAN »

mbegalla

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2007, 11:36:40 PM »

power vent is the only way to go...you will never gat a drop of oil on your shiny rides, and a little HP to boot!
MBEGALLA
Rinehart True Duals with thunder Monster Baffles
Zippers Redshift 575 cam(gear driven)Feuling, all the way
Doherty Power Pak with powervents
Dyno @ 108 HP & 115 TQ ....FUN!! custom MAP on Dyno

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2007, 09:45:26 AM »

power vent is the only way to go...you will never gat a drop of oil on your shiny rides, and a little HP to boot!

Not totally true. I use the DPP w/PV's right now and puke oil from the A/C. Doherty claims that you should only use 3-1/2 qts of oil when changing oil. They claim their Mystfree System will help the puking, which I'm now considering, but they say you'll even see some oil with them too. The only way to keep oil off the shiny side is to run the breather lines to the ground, instead of the A/C backplate. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2007, 02:14:14 PM »

SPIDERMAN, do you think it's the button head screws loosening up and the viberation breaking the standoff bolts? I'm thinking about pulling the standoff bolts and loctite on them, changing the button heads like you did and putting some blue loctite on them.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2007, 02:35:57 PM »

SPIDERMAN, do you think it's the button head screws loosening up and the viberation breaking the standoff bolts? I'm thinking about pulling the standoff bolts and loctite on them, changing the button heads like you did and putting some blue loctite on them.

Talon....I have had no problems with mine, but have the stock cover on the bike.  I did follow the instructions and torque them to what Doherty recommended, and used Blue LT.  The standoff's were already mounted to the backplate, and appear to be stainless and also installed with Blue LT.  My personal opinion is that the bolts can be OVERtightened, which stresses the bolt, making it weaker and more subject to shear.  When I was running the SE backplate, I had two of three standoff bolts shear off in the TB because of overtightening during installation (my fault).  The extremely knowledgeable (Rod's Performance) wrench told me that is what causes them to shear, and the trick is to just snug them up with Blue LT.

When we start hanging 2 or 3 pound covers off these things, we're going to have issues...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »

I have the stock cover too, and will change to a round cleaner later on, but won't weight any more that stock, I might still change out the button screws.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2007, 03:01:05 PM »

The DPP w/S&S backplate for the S&S Teardrop cover mounts differently, and has no issues with cover fitting or the standoffs breaking. The fact that it does it with the SE and the DPP, means it's an HD issue. Why am i not surprised? ::) Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2007, 03:10:34 PM »

Howie, you get you new S&S A/C yet?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2007, 03:19:51 PM »

Howie, you get you new S&S A/C yet?

Not yet and not sure if I'm changing. It will depend on the performance difference between the 2 A/C's. The S&S is like 700 bucks. That better add some decent numbers for that price, especially since I have one that I like already. Hoist! 8)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2007, 03:29:33 PM »

I have the stock cover too, and will change to a round cleaner later on, but won't weight any more that stock, I might still change out the button screws.

Can't hurt, T....I  have a local place here to get whatever kind of bolts I need...an industrial bolt supply house.  Probably one like that where you live as well.  Get 'em in stainless and forget about them.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2007, 03:42:07 PM »

The way the standoffs are made, you tighten the bolts down till they bottom out and that's it. Don't see how I could have been overtightening. In any event, I haven't had any issues with the Doherty unit I bought for LD.

FYI, CRES 304 and CRES 316 (stainless) are brittle.  Don't know why some folks think CRES is strong, but it's true purpose is corrosion resistance. In my business if we need strength we DON'T use stainless and go with a coated Grade 8 fastener.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2007, 04:24:28 PM »

The way the standoffs are made, you tighten the bolts down till they bottom out and that's it. Don't see how I could have been overtightening. In any event, I haven't had any issues with the Doherty unit I bought for LD.

FYI, CRES 304 and CRES 316 (stainless) are brittle.  Don't know why some folks think CRES is strong, but it's true purpose is corrosion resistance. In my business if we need strength we DON'T use stainless and go with a coated Grade 8 fastener.

Absolutely correct - 304, 304L, 316, 316L is very low carbon steel that is very corrosion resistant - visit a pharmaceutical manufacturing facility, and all you will see is this type stainless steel - not because of strength, but because of corrosion resistance.  It is brittle and it is crack prone - especially when subjected to heat cycles.

Scott

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2007, 08:38:55 AM »

TCnBham, our ACE hardware has a really nice selection of grade 8, stainless, and chrome nuts, bolts and washers. There's one guy there that set up this area and is always adding stuff like springs, cold rolled pins, he does a great job. I'll stop by and get something there. 

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2007, 04:54:20 PM »

Not totally true. I use the DPP w/PV's right now and puke oil from the A/C. Doherty claims that you should only use 3-1/2 qts of oil when changing oil. They claim their Mystfree System will help the puking, which I'm now considering, but they say you'll even see some oil with them too. The only way to keep oil off the shiny side is to run the breather lines to the ground, instead of the A/C backplate. Hoist! 8)

Just noticed this post and Howie and like you I am getting some puking with the DPP w/PV. I get a very fine mist which normally finds it's way onto the bottom of my seat and back onto the pannier. Jan was riding with me at the weekend and she wanted to know what the stuff was on her right leg ? I hadn't been excited for a while so I guess it must have been the A/C gently puking on her !  ;)

I have now ordered the Mystfree system which is clearly stated as "eliminates all mysting problems". I'll wait and see, but if it doesn't I ain't going to be a happy bunny.

:beatdeadhorse:

Anybody else had any experience with the Mystfree ?

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.