Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Blue Ridge Parkway Today...  (Read 7102 times)

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
Blue Ridge Parkway Today...
« on: April 24, 2019, 09:36:06 PM »

Well I get up and go to work as normal. I am a factory sales rep. Worked at Panera Bread a couple of hours, had two meetings with customers and watched the temperature rise to the upper 70's and top out at 85 degrees without a single cloud in the sky.

I could not stand it any longer and called my wife who was home working in the yard. I asked if she wanted to go ride this afternoon as as usual the answer was "YES".

I got home at 3 pm and she was ready to go and had the garage door open. I changed cloths and we headed North on Hwy 421 toward Wilkesboro (the moonshine capital of NC). First stop was at Crossroads HD for a birthday gift for my brother and some new light weight summer gloves for me. Then we continued North a few miles and hit Hwy 16 up to the Parkway. We were up there four weeks back and it still looked winter at the 3000 to 3500 foot level. Lots of trees still down along side the parkway from the ice storm over the winter. Well today it was GREEN and beautiful and you could see where crews had done a lot of tree cleanup.

We ran North on the Parkway over to the intersection of Hwy 18 where Stations Inn and Freebornes Motorcycle Resorts are. Stations Inn was open and there were five bikes there. We stopped and had some chicken wings and enjoyed conversation with the few other riders out. Then we headed South down 18 back to Wilkesboro and on home to our bunker West of the Twin Cities that Tobacco built.

Total round trip was 150 miles and we were home well before dark. Love that it stays light now till after 8 pm.

The 2017 CVO 114 ran perfectly and with 15k miles the stock exhaust is really sounding good as it wears in. Of course a little hard to hear over the awesome stereo that we had cranked up pretty good. County music going up the mountain and 70's Rock & Roll on the return trip. Not as many bikes out as I expected and traffic in general was light which made for an enjoyable ride.

Ride Safe

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
Re: Blue Ridge Parkway Today...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 10:23:58 PM »

We rode the parkway this past summer and got rained on for 85% of our time on the east coast and in the mountains. Vacation got to be a long pull. We stayed at Stations Inn, mid week, the last week of July/ first days of Aug. We were one of two rooms rented for the night and almost the only ones that ate there that night. From the website I was expecting more bike traffic. Did we hit the slow time or did we miss the more popular place to stay?
I wouldn't be in a hurry to stay there again. Thoughts?
Supershooter

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 10:45:00 PM »

We rode the parkway this past summer and got rained on for 85% of our time on the east coast and in the mountains. Vacation got to be a long pull. We stayed at Stations Inn, mid week, the last week of July/ first days of Aug. We were one of two rooms rented for the night and almost the only ones that ate there that night. From the website I was expecting more bike traffic. Did we hit the slow time or did we miss the more popular place to stay?
I wouldn't be in a hurry to stay there again. Thoughts?
Supershooter

I can appreciate the ride in rain. We did a week long trip with three days of heavy thunder storms year before last, and road back from York, PA last year all the way in the rain. Suit up and enjoy! LOL

Stations Inn is not what it once was. About 8 years ago now the owner ran into financial trouble and it was forsale and shut down. Then his former wife opened Freebornes up across the street. Then Stations Inn opened back up on a smaller scale. Then the wife buys SI and owns both. Right now SI is open every day and Freebornes on Thursday through Sunday. We were up there a few weeks back on a Sunday afternoon and had to wait for a table. It was busy. The food is good and it is a convenient stopping point in that area. The motel at SI is outdated. Freebornes has better rooms and also has king sized beds. There is covered parking however at SI. A give and take.

Normally in the summer, especially on weekends there are 200 to 300 bikes, live bands and it is a happening place even today.

For us it is just over an hour away and a very nice ride so we are up there a lot. Our favorite place is Little Switzerland Inn. Much more expensive but really nice, awesome views, fantastic restaurant and close to awesome roads and Linville Falls. Come back and give that a try next time.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 11:00:59 PM »

I can appreciate the ride in rain. We did a week long trip with three days of heavy thunder storms year before last, and road back from York, PA last year all the way in the rain. Suit up and enjoy! LOL

Stations Inn is not what it once was. About 8 years ago now the owner ran into financial trouble and it was forsale and shut down. Then his former wife opened Freebornes up across the street. Then Stations Inn opened back up on a smaller scale. Then the wife buys SI and owns both. Right now SI is open every day and Freebornes on Thursday through Sunday. We were up there a few weeks back on a Sunday afternoon and had to wait for a table. It was busy. The food is good and it is a convenient stopping point in that area. The motel at SI is outdated. Freebornes has better rooms and also has king sized beds. There is covered parking however at SI. A give and take.

Normally in the summer, especially on weekends there are 200 to 300 bikes, live bands and it is a happening place even today.

For us it is just over an hour away and a very nice ride so we are up there a lot. Our favorite place is Little Switzerland Inn. Much more expensive but really nice, awesome views, fantastic restaurant and close to awesome roads and Linville Falls. Come back and give that a try next time.
do not forget the Brown Mountain lights!!

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 09:35:40 PM »

do not forget the Brown Mountain lights!!

We don't want to scare anyone away!!! LOL

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 09:08:58 AM »

We don't want to scare anyone away!!! LOL
saw them at 10 yrs of age and it did scare me!  :o https://westernncattractions.com/brown-mountain-lights/

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 05:00:28 PM »

saw them at 10 yrs of age and it did scare me!  :o https://westernncattractions.com/brown-mountain-lights/

There are some very interesting stories. The couple that had the UFO land on top of their car was one of my favorite. Guess it depends on what you are smoking! LOL

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 02:02:05 PM »

Well after church yesterday the wife and I took a cruise to Pilot Mountain and Mt. Airy (Mayberry). Ended up riding on up Hwy 52 and hitting the Parkway at Fancy Gap, Va and heading back south to N.C. the road is still pot hole city on that stretch from Hwy 52 back to N.C. Hwy 21.

A little cool up there yesterday but felt really nice. Not as many bikes out as I had expected to see.

This makes our third trip up on the Parkway in five weeks. We enjoyed it so much because it keeps you off the major roadways that are just too crowded with everyone in a hurry. The nice temperatures along with the beautiful views make it special.

WRE4U

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2012 Harley Davidson CVO Softail Convertible FLSTSE3
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 11:12:36 AM »

Well after church yesterday the wife and I took a cruise to Pilot Mountain and Mt. Airy (Mayberry). Ended up riding on up Hwy 52 and hitting the Parkway at Fancy Gap, Va and heading back south to N.C. the road is still pot hole city on that stretch from Hwy 52 back to N.C. Hwy 21.

A little cool up there yesterday but felt really nice. Not as many bikes out as I had expected to see.

This makes our third trip up on the Parkway in five weeks. We enjoyed it so much because it keeps you off the major roadways that are just too crowded with everyone in a hurry. The nice temperatures along with the beautiful views make it specil

We rode to the winery (Jo-Lo)....great place!  Talk about picturesque, great food, owners are terrific, and wine!!  Coming back down from Pilot Mountain the wife got a little light headed with all the tight curves, however, a wonderful ride!
2012 Harley Davidson CVO Softail
Convertible  FLSTSE3

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 03:37:14 PM »

There are some very interesting stories. The couple that had the UFO land on top of their car was one of my favorite. Guess it depends on what you are smoking! LOL
Hey Spiked I'm in Greensboro, we should hook up and ride some. Give me a shout or PM me!

BigLew
Mike

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 06:49:49 AM »

We are in Pittsboro, NC and just rode to Mt. Airy last Saturday. We ate at the "Loaded Goat" and it was fantastic. No highways for us and had a fantastic ride.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 09:49:47 AM »

Hey Spiked I'm in Greensboro, we should hook up and ride some. Give me a shout or PM me!

BigLew
Mike

I look forward to it Mike. We are busy this month with Anniversary, Mothers Day,  I have a business trip to Indy next week then Rolling Thunder. Maybe this weather will improve by June!
Mark

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2019, 09:56:22 AM »

We are in Pittsboro, NC and just rode to Mt. Airy last Saturday. We ate at the "Loaded Goat" and it was fantastic. No highways for us and had a fantastic ride.

Yes that is a great place to eat. One road out of Mayberry to the Parkway is Orchard Gap Road. A real gem! Another great place to visit is Nancy’s Fudge in Meadows of Dan. Well worth the stop. Hwy 614, Squirrel Spur Road out of Mayberry is awesome!

Can’t say I know much about Pittsboro but have ridden through several times heading to OBX. We like to ride down to Siler City to Johnson’s Drive In for a cheeseburger once a year.

Ride safe

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2019, 10:03:06 AM »

:worthless: :worthless: :worthless: :worthless: :worthless: :worthless:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2019, 04:40:38 PM »

JCZ,

Yes you are correct. I usually have a 1000 pictures but we did  not shoot many on these relaxing cruises. My wife is NOT a picture taker. I actually purchased a GoPro last year for our Skyline Drive ride, York Open House and our end of year Florida Keys ride. But forgot it when we went to the mountains. Here are the only two I took!

I promise to do better.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 23 queries.