Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Riding with injuries or disabilities??  (Read 6314 times)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Riding with injuries or disabilities??
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2005, 09:55:56 AM »

Sorry to hear about the down time and the upcoming surgery Dude.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2005, 10:02:56 AM »

I had a motorcyle accident back in 97 where I dislocated my shoulder. I also placed ice hockey during this time (yes, ice hockey in California). After months of rehab I dislocated the shoulder two more times on the ice. In 98 i had sugery to repair the tendons and the tear in my rotator. The shoulder has never fully recovered and having recently been seeing the docs a recent MRI has shown about a 1 inch tear in the rotator, (same tear as before)
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Dallas

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2005, 04:21:59 PM »

I picked up my red SEEG on November 5th  rode it 370 miles.
We had bad weather all week and I was looking forward to a ride on sunday, saturday night I made a new cd mix for the ride.  Sunday morning was cold and a little icey.
       I had a bulb  in the car for the  one of the lights on the roof.  Spot lights on the roof that over lookthe yard.  I hastly ran up the ladder changed the bulb.  I was at the top and dropped one of the screws.  I asked my girl to picked it up when she was under the latter it started coming down.  
    I fell about 20 or 25 feet  onto pavement. Iwas medivaced to a trama center.
They thought I might be parilized.  I wasn't but I crushed my hip.
To make a long story short,  my first thought laying there in the driveway was to call the dealer and sell the bike.  My girl wouldn't and I am so glad.  My third operation is April 11th.  There  is a  98% chance I'll walk by May 11th.  It has been the hardest thing I have ever gone through in my life.
   The first thing I will do is take a trip through Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.
My goal is the end of May.
Can anyone image losing there abilty to walk.  That is losing your freedom in so many ways.  
     Looking forward to riding that bike has keep me going.
Appreciate any prays on April 11th.
      RIDE LONG AND FAR!!!
MIKE

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2005, 04:31:52 PM »

Dallas, sorry to hear of your accident.  I'll send you some prayers for the upcoming operation.  Yes, we do tend to just bop along taking a lot for granted day in and day out.  Thanks for sharing your status and keep thinking positive about when your gonna ride that bike again. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2005, 04:32:20 PM »

Good luck with that Jim.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2005, 04:33:51 PM »

Dallas;
I hope all goes well for you, We'll trade prayers!! Keep thinking about that first ride after you get well. [smiley=laugh.gif]

Cannibus_Man

• Full CVO Member
  • I love to set off car alarms
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2005, 09:42:14 PM »

My Doc didn't say it was virus caused, are there other types?

my  doctor is just monitoring my vision at this point.He wants to do a genetic test to see if what i have is lebers hereditary optic neuropothy (LHON).
it was strange how all happened to me. i had congestion for about two  weeks prior to
my visual perifery just  getting darker and darker very rapidly..over the course of a week
or so. then two years later it happened again,but i was more aware of what was happening so i rushed to the emergency and went on steroids.(not  the kind that makes ya look like hulk hogan) shucks lol
~late~ Cann

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2005, 09:49:58 PM »

If the diagnosis of LHON is substantiated, what's the suggested treatment regime? [smiley=confused.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2005, 09:57:24 PM »

Can anyone image losing there abilty to walk.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Cannibus_Man

• Full CVO Member
  • I love to set off car alarms
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2005, 10:01:45 PM »

no cure... best of luck. eat right.,exercise don't drink, smoke etc...
~late~ Cann

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2005, 10:06:53 PM »

Yeah, that's what I thought.  But at least you live out there in the state that allows medicinal cannibus prescriptions, huh?  I've noticed that my symptoms get worse when I get fatigued, like riding all day.  Vision starts deteriorating just as you start riding into the night w/ glare of headlights, less light, etc.  And, like you say, stopping for happy hour will only make it worse.  damn, no fun at all. [smiley=furious.gif]

Dallas

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2005, 01:23:13 AM »

I was never in a hospital before this.  I worked out at the gym and played basketball everyday.  Doctor said I probably won't play basketball again,  we'll see.  Anyway I was healthy and this helped.  I also dropped some  weight, always a positve.
  Around  Christmas time when I was in pretty bad shape, I called JC  we talked for a while on the phone,
what a great guy...  I'm glad to hear your doing well.
When an obstacle like this happens it really does change you.  I appreciate everything so much more.  I realize how lucky I was and how much I had.   You Know?
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.