Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Thinking about finally getting a Road Glide CVO  (Read 5653 times)

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
  • Scars only show where we've been, Live Life
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset
    • CVO2: 2011 Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO3: 2010 Road Glide Custom
Thinking about finally getting a Road Glide CVO
« on: June 08, 2019, 06:43:51 PM »

Howdy all,
I haven't posted on here in a long time. My ex-wife had a CVO Convertable which is how I first came to be on this site. When we divorced she took her bike and then promptly let the darn thing be repo'd. But that is who other story.

I currently own a 2011 Road Glide Ultra with super low miles on it. Due to an injury in Iraq in 2004 I haven't been able to ride for the past 4 years and am just now getting back into riding again.
I had to have my lower right leg amputated in May 2018 due to the nerve damage to my lower leg. So in May 2019 I got my endorsement back and have been riding my RGU and really love being back in the saddle. Right after I had gotten my Ultra I saw my first CVO RGU and fell in love with them. Not really a lot of differences other than all the added niceties that come with a CVO.

When the new Rushmore bikes came out in 2014 was right about the time I had to stop riding due to the nerve damage. So I have never ridden a Rushmore bike and have no idea what it is like. I've read all the reports and heard people talk about how the redesign has made these newer bikes nicer than the older ones.

So a dealer near me (2 1/2 hours away) has a 2015 CVO Road Glide in Orange & Black which is about my favorite Harley colors. I'm just not sure if the newer bike is all it is cracked up to be over the older one. Yes I would be going from a 103 to a 110 engine and I would get all the KEWL KID stuff that a CVO has to offer. I'm not a huge fan of all the chrome and would slowly black out a lot of the bike if I did happen to buy it. But I am curious to hear from people who went from an older bike to the newer Rushmore style bike. I've been told that the newer frame doesn't have the slow speed head shake like my 2011 RGU has. I've also been told the newer suspension is nicer than what I have? But I thought the 2015 still had the air shocks?

I know I am the only person that can make this choice but I'm looking for input from those who went to the Rushmore from an older bike. Was it really that different? Can you feel it just my riding it for 10-15 minutes?

Here is the bike I am thinking about going to look at. My RGU is in the shop right now getting dyno tuned.

https://www.eastsideharley.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2015-Harley-Davidson-Motorcycle-Scooter-FLTRUSE-CVO-Road-Glide-Ultra-CVO-Emerald-City-HD-6925148?ref=list

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Thinking about finally getting a Road Glide CVO
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 07:03:47 PM »

You might want to read some of the threads in the board to which I moved yours. In particular, read this one which answers your questions especially at reply numbers 108 and 132:  2015 RGU: I'm Blue... So Blue...

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 07:07:37 PM »

Good to see you I over here too WM. I shortened my screen name here from ohiobellboy to just OBB. I went from an '11 CVORGU or SERGU to to '15 and there's a lot of improvement. Stock air shocks still suck though. If you have aftermarket on your '11, they'll bolt right up. New front forks are nicer than the '11 but was improved again in '17 with the introduction of the M8 engine. Navigation is decent once you learn to use it. Stereo is better than what you have e now but that isn't saying much. Probably my most favorite feature of the CVO Ultras is the power locks.

Extra power is nice. You'll learn to like chrome too . I'd suggest a warranty of some sorts as the water pumps on these can be a bit of a headache and the lifters can be prone in the 110 engine to go bad and take out the engine if not caught in time.

They brake pedal is higher in the '15 than you're used to. Might be something to change out with your prosthetic on that side. Softbrake and Kury both make replacement pedals that lower it.

Plenty of good info on here and others will chime in too.

See ya at SW IX. in a few months

Sent from my boring Droid phone.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 07:11:08 PM by OBB »
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 07:32:08 PM »

You might want to read some of the threads in the board to which I moved yours. In particular, read this one which answers your questions especially at reply numbers 108 and 132:  2015 RGU: I'm Blue... So Blue...

Thanks for moving it, sorry for posting in the wrong area. I will read up on this section as I want to try and make an informed decision. While I really like my 2011 RGU I have always wanted a CVO RGU and it seems like this might be the time to do it.

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 07:34:28 PM »

Good to see you I over here too WM. I shortened my screen name here from ohiobellboy to just OBB. I went from an '11 CVORGU or SERGU to to '15 and there's a lot of improvement. Stock air shocks still suck though. If you have aftermarket on your '11, they'll bolt right up. New front forks are nicer than the '11 but was improved again in '17 with the introduction of the M8 engine. Navigation is decent once you learn to use it. Stereo is better than what you have e now but that isn't saying much. Probably my most favorite feature of the CVO Ultras is the power locks.

Extra power is nice. You'll learn to like chrome too . I'd suggest a warranty of some sorts as the water pumps on these can be a bit of a headache and the lifters can be prone in the 110 engine to go bad and take out the engine if not caught in time.

They brake pedal is higher in the '15 than you're used to. Might be something to change out with your prosthetic on that side. Softbrake and Kury both make replacement pedals that lower it.

Plenty of good info on here and others will chime in too.

See ya at SW IX. in a few months

I have already talked with Rick from Soft Brake and am going to ride my bike over to his shop and he is going to make a rear brake lever to work with my prosthetic in whatever form I need. So if I keep my current bike or get a CVO I will be going to see him.

So the rear Tour Pack light bar on the 2016 doesn't have turn signals in it like the 2015? I added that to my 2011 and one of the big things was I wanted those added turn signal lights.
I'm going to read this section but what pressure sensor are you referring to?
I don't think you are going to convince me to like chrome...……….. I've been slowly blacking out my 2011 RGU.

Yes see you in a few months, looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 07:55:41 PM by WildmanUltra »

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 07:42:04 PM »

I had a 14 Limited and a 07 CVO FLHTC.

The Rushmores had issues with the cooling system, completely changed on the 17+. The 110's were not one of Harleys best motors. Mine ran extremely hot. Lifter issues as mentioned by others. Some have had crank issues ( made in China ).

Happy to read your ready to ride again. Don't let anything stop you.

If you like that 15 CVO, just make sure you get a ESP protection plan. Negotiating the price.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 08:15:00 PM »

Welcome back to the two wheel world. Thank you for your service too. And I am sorry for all of your problems you have endured because you served our Country.

Rushmores are one of the the best riding Harley touring bikes I have ridden. You will enjoy the suspension better. If the bike has the Nav boombox, you will appreciate that on trips. Power will be noticed immediately.

No matter what you choose, I hope I speak for many on this site by saying it is good to see you riding again.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 08:35:33 PM »

I had a 14 Limited and a 07 CVO FLHTC.

The Rushmores had issues with the cooling system, completely changed on the 17+. The 110's were not one of Harleys best motors. Mine ran extremely hot. Lifter issues as mentioned by others. Some have had crank issues ( made in China ).

Happy to read your ready to ride again. Don't let anything stop you.

If you like that 15 CVO, just make sure you get a ESP protection plan. Negotiating the price.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

While I was dealing with my pain issues I sort of checked out of life for a while but I remember reading about the cooling issues and other problems. I would HOPE that buying a 3-4 your old bike most if not all those problems would be worked out already but as you said an ESP is a god send. And yes I will make sure to get one if I choose to trade up.

My first ride back on my bike after 4 years was SO GOOD FOR THE SOUL. I had a grin glued to my face for a week.

Welcome back to the two wheel world. Thank you for your service too. And I am sorry for all of your problems you have endured because you served our Country.

Rushmores are one of the the best riding Harley touring bikes I have ridden. You will enjoy the suspension better. If the bike has the Nav boombox, you will appreciate that on trips. Power will be noticed immediately.

No matter what you choose, I hope I speak for many on this site by saying it is good to see you riding again.

I really need to ride a Rushmore and see if I can feel the difference. And that will make up my mind as to if I should trade off my 2011 RGU. I am sold on Road Glides so what ever I have it will be from that family. My concerns are the issues that they had early one with the twin cooled engines. But until I sit on one and ride it I can't say if I'll like it. But hearing from others and what they think of the Rushmore platform helps to know what to look for.

Being back in the saddle is so great and I can't tell you how happy I am to be able to ride again.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 09:22:45 PM »

Not the tour pack lights. It's the big brake light in the fender that's missing the side bar lights. I'm a light freak. The more the better. I like the fact that the lights in the '15 have those and they're Amber which really helps to stand out. I also added the saddlebag lights for more visibility. You can see them in this pix.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 09:26:33 PM by OBB »

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 09:29:14 PM »

Not the tour pack lights. It's the big brake light in the fender that's missing the side bar lights. I'm a light freak. The more the better. I like the fact that the lights in the '15 have those and they're Amber which really helps to stand out. I also added the saddlebag lights for more visibility.

Funny I was looking at a Custom Dynamics kit to delete the rear side bar lights. I was going to add lights in the filler panel instead. I like lights too but I like it to LOOK GOOD at the same time. Same with the front, I've been wanting to change out the stock turn signal housings for something more appeasing. It was part of why I added the windshield cover with the LED lights in it.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 09:35:24 AM »

the rushmore also has the linked brakes  :2vrolijk_21: and the 16 cvo rgu has the single fob with lock/security and tail/brake lights are a lill different set up with turn in the TP light bar. I was on a 13 rg before I got the 16 rgu and have to say it was a big step foreword 
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 05:01:13 PM »

Well it's funny how things develop. I was talking with the dealership and they are getting in a new 2019 Road Glide Ultra in the Scorched Orange/Denim Black. This is what got me interested in the CVO is those colors. So for $3k more I could get a new bike. So I guess I am going to have to ride both and see which one I like more.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 05:37:37 PM »

Once you ride a Rushmore RG with the new fairing and one handed everything, you'll be highly impressed, but once you ride the 114 M8 with all the new goodies......game over!!

Enjoy your new 19!
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 06:57:25 PM »

Once you ride a Rushmore RG with the new fairing and one handed everything, you'll be highly impressed, but once you ride the 114 M8 with all the new goodies......game over!!

Enjoy your new 19!
Yup, what He said!

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 09:51:46 PM »

Enjoy your new 19!

Yes but is a new 114 M8 going to trump a CVO? If I really like it enough then based on the color choices I'd order a 2020 in Scorched Orange/Silver Flux with the blacked out option. I guess they are going to offer that in the 2020 touring models finally.

Yup, what He said!

We'll see what I think.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2019, 10:40:41 PM »

Yes but is a new 114 M8 going to trump a CVO? If I really like it enough then based on the color choices I'd order a 2020 in Scorched Orange/Silver Flux with the blacked out option. I guess they are going to offer that in the 2020 touring models finally.

We'll see what I think.
I'm to the point of looking at a RGU Limited when they come out this fall. New bike, smoother engine and $15k less than a CVO. I can add some goodies and still be under CVO price.

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2019, 11:04:13 PM »

I'm to the point of looking at a RGU Limited when they come out this fall. New bike, smoother engine and $15k less than a CVO. I can add some goodies and still be under CVO price.

With leg fairings ?.....

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 06:48:19 AM »

With leg fairings ?.....
It's an Ultra. It will have lowers.

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 11:53:32 AM »

The new RGU Limited sounds nice. I am going to have a hard time trying to decide what to do. I guess if the 114 M8 is all everyone says it is I might decide to go that direction.
Of course sitting here looking at pictures doesn't help much. On looks alone it would be the 2015 CVO hands down. But if the new bikes are as sweet as they say who knows. The fact that you can get the Ultras in a blacked out version for 2020 is a huge plus for me.

But I would have to ride my old bike to SWIX I might end up not wanting to get rid of it. I'm going to ride a M8 Ultra and the CVO tomorrow. Then I'm sure I'll have to come home and think on it.

CVCVORG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE BLUE
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 07:28:25 PM »

What did you decide?

I’m curious as I’m on a 12 CVO Road Glide and considering a second bike......16 CVO RGU or 20 RG Limited.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 07:34:58 PM »

What did you decide?

I’m curious as I’m on a 12 CVO Road Glide and considering a second bike......16 CVO RGU or 20 RG Limited.

I was between a used 16 CVO Road Glide Ultra and a new 2020 Limited.....went for the Limited....and the new motor is nice. Keeping my '15 CVO Street Glide for now and we will see what I ride more....

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 06:22:08 AM »

MJB, I just love that blue.  Really looks good.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

CVCVORG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE BLUE
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2020, 07:26:36 AM »

MJB what are some of the benefits of the 20RG Limited versus your other bike?

More big picture.....
How is low end torque or 2 up riding compared to your CVO?
what about ride quality?
Sound system?
I hear Navigation is much quicker to respond especially at start up

Thanks for sharing.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 08:23:49 PM »

MJB what are some of the benefits of the 20RG Limited versus your other bike?

More big picture.....
How is low end torque or 2 up riding compared to your CVO?
what about ride quality?
Sound system?
I hear Navigation is much quicker to respond especially at start up

Thanks for sharing.

Don't have much 2up riding on the new bike yet and only have about 150 miles on it. Ride quality--it takes bumps better than the CVO Street Glide, but I'm guessing it's the 18" front wheel vs the 19" on the CVO. I had the Rockford Fosgate amp and 4 speakers done before it left the dealer...stock sound system sucked like they all do. The CVO has Boom Stage 2 so I was always satisfied with that. As far as the radio goes--way better than the one on the '15. If I keep the '15 CVO I will be upgrading to the newer unit. 

The big thing is the handling of the Road Glide..I took it for a ride on a windy day and couldn't believe how much better it was than the Street Glide. Once I put some more miles on it I can decide if the Street Glide stays or goes.......

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2020, 09:42:53 PM »

Let it go Mike. Nothing rides like the road glide.   👌. Stuart.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2020, 07:43:58 PM »

Let it go Mike. Nothing rides like the road glide.   👌. Stuart.

I may end up like you...one road glide for touring and an 18 or 19 CVO for day trips.....we will see.....
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 21 queries.